Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ismi Vs Wolff Mainsprings

gino_aki

I've always used Wolff mainsprings for my trigger work, preferring the 17lb with a good sear (CMC or EGW) and STI Titanium hammers (when I can find 'em on ebay), strut, and cap. I wanted to lighten up the trigger in the "new" Para blaster I got, so went into my stash for the a 17lb Wolff I'd gotten a while ago...got it put together...can't seem to get it below 3 lb pull. Hmmm. Compare it to other Wolff's seems the same tho' without a calibrated spring tester, who knows? Order a 15lb ISMI from Brownells to try and whoa! that's light. Down to 1-1/2, but inconsistent ignition. My friend Ray says I gotta put in a standard weight firing pin spring, which can't be done as is 'cause I discover I have one of them SV replaceable breech face slides and the FP spring tunnel is short. Grrrrr. End up cutting a coil and a half off the 17lb Wolff and figuring to live with2-1/2~2-3/4. After shooting it a bit more and having other unrelated problems I decide to stick in a 17lb ISMI after a "feel" test determines that the 17lb ISMI seems lighter than the 17lb Wolff with a coil and a half missing. And it IS! Trigger pull down much closer to 2 and could still use a bit of tweaking but feels a lot better.

So...is 17lbs 17lbs or does ISMI set theirs differently? I do think I'll be using their mainsprings from now on and am setting the goal of getting that 1lb 6oz pull Ray is always bragging on with the 15lb one.

Measure the diameter of the wire of both springs. If they are both the same they should be same#. If one is a smaller diameter then it is a lighter spring. Both have same number of coils? Both same length out of the package?

CYa,

Pat

Archived