Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Q -- Removing Munged Case At Station 1?

Bought an XL650 from Brian around New Year's., and have really been enjoying it as an upgrade to my SDB.

However, one issue drives me crazy, and I wonder if anyone else wrestles with it:

Every once in a while, a case won't get pushed properly into the shell plate at station 1 (resize), and get crunched when I lower the arm. You almost need a third hand to remove it -- my procedure is to raise the arm (but not too far, or the shell plate will index!), and work the crunched case backwards out of the shellplate, back on the aluminum slide, and wiggle it out.

Is there an easier way? If the aluminum slide had a cut or "gate" in the side, it would be a lot easier, IMO, to remove a damaged case, since you wouldn't have to slide the case all the way back to where it was dropped by the case feeder (and have to push the black spring-loaded triangle out of the way, too). Just idly wondering how others handle this issue... :mellow:

However, one issue drives me crazy, and I wonder if anyone else wrestles with it:

Every once in a while, a case won't get pushed properly into the shell plate at station 1 (resize), and get crunched when I lower the arm. You almost need a third hand to remove it -- my procedure is to raise the arm (but not too far, or the shell plate will index!), and work the crunched case backwards out of the shellplate, back on the aluminum slide, and wiggle it out.

Is there an easier way? If the aluminum slide had a cut or "gate" in the side, it would be a lot easier, IMO, to remove a damaged case, since you wouldn't have to slide the case all the way back to where it was dropped by the case feeder (and have to push the black spring-loaded triangle out of the way, too). Just idly wondering how others handle this issue... :mellow:

I had an issue like that. The problem was that the Station 1 locator ("the aluminum slide") had gotten crushed, and did not allow the case to slide easily.

It may also be that the Case Insert & Slide Cam ("the black spring-loaded triangle") May need to be adjusted so that it pushes more on the case to get it into the shellplate properly.

Carl

Thx Carl -- it would help if I used the right terminology! <grin>

The problem isn't that it happens; it's how to handle when it does happen. 98 out of 100 cases are sliding in just fine; it's just the odd case that's stick, or has a bent rim, piece of media, etc.

I just wish I could raise the handle slightly, and flick it off the station 1 locator, instead of sliding it all the way back, moving the case insert out of the way...Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Thx Carl -- it would help if I used the right terminology! <grin>

The problem isn't that it happens; it's how to handle when it does happen. 98 out of 100 cases are sliding in just fine; it's just the odd case that's stick, or has a bent rim, piece of media, etc.

I just wish I could raise the handle slightly, and flick it off the station 1 locator, instead of sliding it all the way back, moving the case insert out of the way...Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

:)

Ok, I was going from the thought process that it does not happen to me anymore, so I don't have to "fix" 'em. I understand the frustration though!

Carl

On my mostly short list of 650 annoyances is that removing a case from station 1 for any reason is kind of an annoyance. That being said, I think making sure that the case insertion is adjusted properly goes a long way.

The only badly mangled cases at #1 have been .32 ACP, and probably only because the case is so light it "floats" in the shellplate has a tendency to back out. In addition, I've been using RCBS dies that don't have radiused mouths, making cases either "in" or "out". (I would have bought Redding Pro Series with the radiused mouths for .32, but somebody gave me a brand-new set of RCBS carbide dies, so I suffer a little.)

I've loaded 5-600 .44 Mag and .41 Mag without any mangled cases at #1. I'll find out how common mangled cases are with "medium" sized cases when I run low on 10mm and .45 ACP.