Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Sx2 Modification

Rckymtnshooter

I just purchased a winchester SX2 shotgun and I'm wondering if anyone has modified the load area. To load a shell into the mag tube you have to push it in pretty far before it seats. It appears to me that some metal could be removed which would give your thumb more room to seat the shell. You can remove plastic from the forearm but I'm really interested if anyone has removed any metal.

Ive had mine for about a year and a half and noticed the same thing. Really hasnt bothered me in the past. However I had a particularly dismal practice session last Sat and had two occurances of the shell slipping back under the loading gate <_<

First time ever and 2 of them to boot. I also had the first and only malf on this gun since break in and it was two times as well. The spent shell ejected and the fresh shell came back to the loading gate but thats it, the gate didnt raise the shell up and the bolt didnt close :blink: I have no idea why since I do keep it clean. The shell felt like it was being "held" but not stuck.

I have seen this done on quite a few actually. if what i think you are saying is correct you want to lower the area that you load rounds into the mag tube to make it easier to load.

If this is true Carl Carbon has done this to his shotgun and so has his brother Mark Carbon, Shawn Carlock developed a great way to load quickly and efficiently using this method of cutting out the reciever. I am sure that Mark has an SX2 and do believe that Carl also has one. I don't know the particulars but I know that the Defensive Edge Gunsmithing had something to do with it. http://www.defensiveedge.net/

I know that the Defensive edge works with 870's but the don't list any SX2 work or packages on their website.

Edited by CaseyJ

Guys

I run a Browning Gold (similar to sx2) & the metal of the receiver has been ground & polished to create a nice smooth ramp into the magazine tube & also the forend has been cut back, loading is smooth & fast, you can do it yourself with a rotary tool & polish with cratex heads once your done grinding.

Just dont go crazy & take out too much metal.

Neil

Now Neil where ever would you have got an "idea" like that???

Congratulations on the Welch win amigo, see you in GREECE!!!

Hi Kurt

As we were blessed with two ear's & only one mouth I figure it pays to listen twice as much as I talk :D & listening to you guys certainly pays off :D:D:D

See you in Greece & the first beer is on me :P

N

• 9 months later...

I just got an FN SLP Mk 1 (which is the same as an SX2 Practical, I'm told). Just playing around it seems I might have trouble with loading--the tip of my thumb gets caught between the lift gate and the front of the loading port in the receiver. It sounds like the mods we're talking about here are what I need done.

But I still don't clearly understand what you guys are talking about. Could anyone take some pictures and post them? Are there other modifications I could do to make loading easier (this will be a limited shotgun)?

Thanks for your help,

DogmaDog

EDIT: Took my gun out yesterday and put 100 rounds of shot and 10 slugs through it. Had one hitch, I fired, and the next round ejected onto the lift gate, but the bolt locked to the rear. It only happened once, and I'm not sure why...for now, it's just "breaking in" issues.

Sights seem pretty much dead on, but the rear sight is weird...a V notch with a white triangle beneath it, and white index lines on the right side--very busy, and unusual. I might take the rear blade off, which would leave a larger U shaped notch. Centering the front sight in the groove on the rail worked fine for shot (I was shooting 8" plates at 25 yards). I didn't try slugs that way.

I'm definitely going to need a modification to the loading area. My thumb gets caught between the loading gate and the receiver. I guess it's the same as "Benelli Thumb" discussed elsewhere here. What is the fix for a Win SX-2/FN SLP, who does it, and how much does it cost?

Edited by DogmaDog