Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking The Freestyle Platform

EricW

I noticed last night that when I'm going for the next target and I get there without my sights being aligned, that almost invariably it was because I was chasing the sights to the target instead of finding the target and allowing the gun to follow.

Anyone else have the same experience?

E

Edited by EricW

I have been working on this but damn, it is easy to fall back on watching the gun move merrily on it's way to the wrong place on the next target :wacko: . BUT, when it work right, that is, snapping the eyes to the center of the next target's A-zone, the gun just shows up and starts shooting! It's real sweet. Maybe another 5 years of transition training will burn it in!

Keep workin,

Chuck

Flex,

What I'm saying is, that chasing my front sight seems to cause me to break my platform. I arrive at the target with misaligned sights.

When I'm actively hunting for the next target and the gun catches up to my vision, the sights arrive automatically aligned. It's a weird phenomena and counterintuitive to the way I'd think it'd really work. But...it's now my new indicator, that when I'm arriving at a target with misaligned sights it's because I wasn't really looking for it to begin with.

FWIW...

That makes sense. And, it's cool that your awareness allowed you to make this observation.

Try this. With the two seperate ideas posted above in mind, go to the range and...without first drawing a conclusion...just open up your awareness and observe yourself in that situation (or a variety of situations that get you you there).

The setup that helped me was a small target that completely blended in with it's background...and I had a large swing to get to it...and, I didn't already know where it was (it was kinda off in the open and I moved into position with a completely different target in mind).

Flex,

I have quite a bit of trouble with the eyes leading, I think.

What makes me believe this are some of the Steel Challenge stages. For example, Showdown is giving me fits. I have too many misses on the far square plates. In contrast, Speed Option usually is one of my best stages. I seldom miss the 25yd. plate or the farthest plate. I have no idea why.

Showdown should be easy. Some guys actually beat their times on Roundabout here.

Is it a focus or eyes not leading problem?

Range Report:

Walked off stupid job today. Unclear if job will be there when I return. Not sure if I really care. Probably not the best way to start a practice session, but hey, I might have a lot more time available for shooting here real soon.... :lol: (just wait for my newest Hate rant, "The System")

Pounded in 75 flags to mark range for steel match, so that didn't help either.

Proceeded to shoot Flying M until my hands bled. Still haven't fixed the problem, but it is DEFINITELY due to me chasing the sight and not truly *seeing* target and allowing the gun to arrive. This is one of those things that it seems I have to do live fire. It's a combination of not having my gun timed properly and uneven grip strength. Oh, and my impatience to wait and see what I need to be seeing. It's amazing how much your vision gets de-tuned when you're not using it at high speed for a while. Maybe someday I'll learn to not let perishable skills perish. <sigh...>

If I can get past this, I will jump a class or two.

Off to load more ammo on The Mother of All Reloaders. B)

Edited by EricW

practise Brian's type 2 focus (not sure), the one where you aim at the first target and then just look to the next target to shoot (without reaiming).. it will really develop this area for you.. a couple of eye exercises wouldn't hurt either..

That type of aiming doesn't work on Outer Limits or Five to Go. Or 20+ yard headshots. At least not for me anyway. Right now, aiming the gun every single shot is what produces results for me. I'll save the Jedi Zen mind tricks for next year...

======================================================

Holy crap. I'm at work. Payday is Friday. Anyone want to lay odds on if I make it to the end with a job or not? I think competition shooting is what you resort to when you realize that you're unemployable and will never succeed in corporate (South?) America.

Edited by EricW