Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Quit Yanking 2nd Shot?

Hotwings2001

My first is usually "A"'s but the second shot is very low "A", "C" or that DELTA. I have to cure the first problem of first shot aim too "centered" instead of nipple level. Im comfy with the first shot but the second one has to get much better. Any tips?

Follow through on your shots and in practice work on calling your shots. Focus on the sights and your sight picture. Don't move to the next target until you called the 2nd shot as a good hit and are comfortable with it. It can be hard to do. I still don't always do it right. I work on it though.

Edited by jasmap

On the follow through...think golf.

Don't think GOLF, (Golf sucks, too much follow through) as a matter of fact don't think at all, just AIM and OBSERVE.

Soon (much faster than you will realize) you will catch the point (the exact moment) that the front sight lifts from it alignment in the rear notch (if you are observing while you AIM and don't disturb the AIMING alignment with bad trigger control) and that ends the exercise in follow through.

This also begins the exercise in accurate shot calling, something which many (myself included) strive for because this allows us to react to visual input and begin another action sooner than would otherwise be possible if we did not OBSERVE.

True, Loves2Shoot, but even though the shooter is aware of that the 2nd shot generally results in a yank.. the 3rd sight picture is to delay the CNS response and allow the shooter to complete the 2nd shot psychologically...

There is no second shot...

Thinking there is is what makes people yank that particular shot.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

..there is a second shot, and a third and a fourth etc... even though you fire a shot as a shot the brain will still pick it up as additional shots...that's how the brain works.. getting to where you say is the ultimate but the process to get there starts with developing that followthrough..

we are not saying anything different but in this section, Tips for Improvement, followthrough mgmt. is an important first step..reread Brian's the Call to Followthrough..

see ya...

QUOTE(Paladin @ Aug 14 2006, 11:13 AM)

True, Loves2Shoot, but even though the shooter is aware of that the 2nd shot generally results in a yank.. the 3rd sight picture is to delay the CNS response and allow the shooter to complete the 2nd shot psychologically...

QUOTE(Loves2Shoot)

There is no second shot...

Thinking there is is what makes people yank that particular shot.

I think I am going with guy who has 2 GM and 3 M cards here ;-)

As Paladin said, we are saying the same thing just differently... ;) I was just simplifiying it for those of us who are simpler thinking :D

So who do you go with now?

Sight alignment, tigger pep, and follow through, I'll be working on those forever...

So who do you go with now?

Was never any question ;-)

Sight alignment, tigger pep, and follow through, I'll be working on those forever...

I'll need to be be working on those things even longer than that :P:D

The consensus is: Take the time to line up your sights and aim each shot fired.

It really isn't a "take your time" activity. It is just an activity. Once learned, and done properly, it should take no time at all. One should put in the work such that the gun is presented (indexed) to the target with the sights already in alignment...and on target.

The grip and stance need to be such as to allow the gun come back on target after recoil for those splits. This is why most use some form of two-handed isosceles grip, instead of one-handed, Weaver, etc.

These things allow the 0.18 splits...with accuracy. Sure beats the hell out of pulling the trigger twice and hoping.

Maybe not your problem, but be careful you aren't brain-focusing on the target after the first shot to see where you hit. I also go with the "every shot is the only shot" idea. Well, I should say that I believe in it, I certainly don't do it in reality every time.

H.