Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed Sights On A Limited Gun

RAZZ

I recently ordered a Dawson limited gun, and, after just having both a Bomar and Wilson adjustable sight break on me, I checked the "Fixed Heinie sights" option on the spec sheet. It is supposed to come with a .110 wide Dawson front sight, and the rear notch on the Heinie is .125. My question is, for those who have gone the fixed sight route, are the "bigger" sights acceptable for IPSC compared to the typical .090 front and .110 rear notch of a Bomar? Fixed sights sounded like a great idea at the time (while I was still cursing my broken adjustables) but now I'm a little worried that the sights are going to be too fat.

(P.S., I'm not looking for a debate on the whole fixed vs. adjustables thing)

Thanks...

I've got nearly the identical setup as you have ordered and love it. I *think* that my front sight is .100, but other than that, same same.

I'm not one to switch loads alot, and I don't see the need to put something on the gun that will be more likley to break. :)

I recently ordered a Dawson limited gun, and, after just having both a Bomar and Wilson adjustable sight break on me, I checked the "Fixed Heinie sights" option on the spec sheet. It is supposed to come with a .110 wide Dawson front sight, and the rear notch on the Heinie is .125. My question is, for those who have gone the fixed sight route, are the "bigger" sights acceptable for IPSC compared to the typical .090 front and .110 rear notch of a Bomar? Fixed sights sounded like a great idea at the time (while I was still cursing my broken adjustables) but now I'm a little worried that the sights are going to be too fat.

(P.S., I'm not looking for a debate on the whole fixed vs. adjustables thing)

Thanks...

My front is about .110 wide, at times when I'm playing around with the gun I would like a thinner one. Actually, when I pay attention to the sights while shooting, I find it doesn't really matter.

LimitedGunside.jpg

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

I've got a Heinie rear and I think its rear notch is fine, paired with a .100" front. A .110" front would be a little too fat for my taste, despite the supposedly wide rear notch.

Having also used Bo-Mars and Wilsons, I noticed little or no difference with the Heinie rear.

Seems like this thread or one like it gets bumped to the top every so often...

I just don't understand it..I have had literally dozens of guns fitten with BoMar sights and NONE of them ever broke...what are you guys doing to them?

I have had three adjustable sights break. A Bomar, a Caspian and a Wilson. The windage screw on the unbreakable Wilson sheared off mid-stage at an area match--a long range standards type stage--which caused the blade to slide all the way over to one side. The Bomar I replaced it with has so far only broken the hinge pin (expected). But it just seems that If I can remove one more piece of doubt from my equipment, and there is no disadvantage to using the different / new piece of equipment, than I should do it. I have yet had to actually adjust my adjustable sights--every load I have used (admittedly not many) has shot to the same POA / POI, so fixed sights seem to be a good idea. We'll see. I may not like them, but I won't know if I don't try them.

'Course, I might chicken out at the last minute and change my order to Bomars...I'm so indecisive...

Not only have I gone through the evolution of replacing the ofm Fixed sights that came with alot of the guns I bought and tried and then realized that fixed sights are the best option for me, I now have also retired from the use of fiber optics and gone back to good ol' black steel front blades - no breakage with the front f/o's, just found I was cheating shots that lead to less quality. My Pd and Ltd gun are now all fixed front and rear with no more f/o either. Travis Thomasie noticed it when I took the Double Impact weekend course with he and Max (it was awesome), and recommended departing from fiber optic fronts.

Here are my CZ Limited Guns, the best fixed rears I've used.

post-4151-1155260046.jpg

I have had MULTIPLE adjustable rear sights break on me....STI/Wilson/LPA all toast within 10k rounds. I spent a lot of time with the "Well, hardly anybody else has these problems" thing and finally got Heinie's put on a Limited gun, and later Novak's on another gun.

They work great........and DON'T break.....

FY42385

I have one of each, a Bomar, and a Heinie. I shoot a .090 with the Bomar and a .110 with the Heinie.

I like the Heinie, and if you get it ZEROED you quit thinking about it. But man I hate to have Kentucky windage itching in teh back of my head if the front site ain't right.

John,

On my LTD G22 I use the Sevigney Competition sights. I really like the wide notch rear. On my LTD G35 I use a Heinie rear (I opened up the rear notch) and a .110 Dawson FO front sight.

As long as you don't switch loads/bullet weights, it's not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

WTS on my G22....just like on my production G34.

Donnie Burton, young hotshot at the IDPA Summer Sizzler had one.

He said it was a Warren, but I can find no mention of the type anyplace that sells Warren sights.

Check the vendors here. I-shot has them, pistolgear has them, Mike L has them....