Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Keep Your Safe On? Bare Floor, Pad, Pallet?

I'm in the process of buying a new large gun safe and wanted to know what people are stacking their safes on. I will be storing it in my basement which is unfinished so it will be on concreate. The salesman told me to either keep it on the pallet or put it on some 4x4's. I'm guessing there is a better option. I'm spending some extra money to get a safe that has a nice finish on it and don't want it to be sitting on a pallet. I would think I could put it on some type of rubber mat or something similiar. Worst case senario is that I could get the 4x4's and paint them so it doesn't stand out.

thanks,

Pete

On the pallet is OK for the short term. Putting it on a sheet of hefty ply, or heavy pieces of lumber then shooting it to the floor with some mondo anchors is the best bet for the ultimate in long run security :-)

Currently mine sits on 2 x 4's . I'm not real worried about my basement flooding.. When I get more time (and energy) I'm thinking about pouring a concrete slab for it to sit on. Plus, that'll be a nice heavy base to bolt it to.

Ray

Placing you safe on a thick piece of carpet will allow some air circulation underneath, preventing moisture accumulation. In addition, I highly recommend a Golden Rod heater to stop condensation inside the safe. Find out from the safe manufacturer where the cord is supposed to go. In mine, there is an intentional "thin" spot in one rear bottom corner made to drill through for the cord. Using a brand new bit, I found that the thin spot was 1/4 inch thick. Some thin spot. You'll have to cut the plug off to feed the power cord through, so get a new plug from the hardware store.

If your new safe is one of the lighter models, anchoring it to the floor is added security. Mine is 700lbs+ and I don't think anyone is going to pick it up and run off. It took the delivery crew 2 hours, steel tracks and rollers to put it in place.

Mine has been on a concrete garage floor for a few years and haven't seen any exterior rust but it may be a little early to say for sure. Being in a basement would certainly make me want to raise it though. Just because of the chance of moisture. My safe is anchored to the floor and has a dehumidifier on constantly.

Don't take any chances on the security or the possibility of rust.

Good luck,

G

My safe sets on four 6" round X 1/2" thick rubber pads. One at each corner and one in the center. and is bolted through them to the concrete slab.

Where did you get those?

Go to a HVAC supplier and get anti vibration pad. It is rubber, dense cork, rubber made for putting under equipment. Check with HDGUN he can tell you where to get it.

Regards,

My safe sets on four 6" round X 1/2" thick rubber pads. One at each corner and one in the center. and is bolted through them to the concrete slab.

Where did you get those?

They are pads that go inside caps used to break concrete test cylinders. You can find them at a constuction materials testing supply outlet.

Here's one place.

a buddy moved his safe that was sitting on a bare concrete floor and found the bottom had surface rust. one theory was the concrete attracted moisture and caused it to rust.

If it was New Construction the moisture may have come from the concrete itself.

A (1200SF) new basement may have 300 gallons of H2O to get rid of before you want to finish a basement.

FM

I allowed the concrete to cure for several months, then applied epoxy concrete paint. The safe sits on the garage floor with nothing under it. A golden rod plugged into a dedicated outlet runs 24/7.

After 6 years, no sign of rust or moisture problems for the safe or its contents thus far.

I picked up some 4x4's today that I'm going to cover with the same vinyl flooring I laid down on the floor. The only problem is the 4x4's are soaking wet. How long does it take for these things to dry out? It seems quite pointless to put the safe on them when they are wet. I don't want to cover them either until they dry out but my safe will be here next weekend. That gives me about 8 days to dry these things out. Any ideas?

I have a 35cuft 1000pounder with high gloss finish from Liberty in my place, and my safe guy (who has been doing it for like 40years) says DON"T leave it on the pallet, cause it is really easy to move. When it is up anyone with a pallet jack can roll it away or they can tip it over on its side really easy and cut the bottom out. The bottom is normally the least secure part of a safe. And when on a pallet, they normally will not make the fire rating either, cause they assume the safe is on the ground, not floating in the air.

Once you find a spot for it, the safe mover will take the pallet off, and you have the option of bolting it down. The only reason guys say to leave the pallet, is because they normally are not professional safe movers, and don't have the special shim jack to get it tilted up in order to get some 4x4's under it (so that they can move it with a pallet jack once on the 4x4's).

My advice is this: No pallet. Find a spot for it, and make sure the back is against the wall. This is for security. Makes it hard to slip something behind the safe in order to get leverage to tip it over. Then, if the safe is only a couple of hundred pounds, try and get enough in the safe to get it close to 1000 pounds or more. Lead shot in the bottom works really well, and does not burn up space. Store your bullets, etc. If you don't think you can get it to 1000 pounds, bolt it down.

I own a jewelry store and a pawnshop, and we have eight safes: all sit on the floor, including a 5000pound TLTR30x6. Anything under 3000 pounds gets bolts. Everthing gets vibration sensors, opening alarms, etc.

If you have any other questions about security, I can help. Just post or pm me.

oh... by the way, TLTR30x6 means TooL rated and ToRch rate for at least 30minutes and all six sides, in other words bad a$$

• 4 years later...

Old thread..

Any other suggestions for what to rest safe on in basement?

I was thinking some indoor/outdoor carpeting.. but worry that if it gest wet.. it'll stay wet.

1x6" would give some air flow.

That anti vibration pad seems nice.. have to look around for that.. One large piece or just at the corners? (maybe a 5th in the center)

http://universal-pneumatic-electric-group.amazonwebstore.com/4-Pack-of-Anti-Vibration-Pads/M/B002I9V7LW.htm 60# per sq in, seem enough?

• 1 year later...

Question.. I picked up a safe bolt down kit came with 2 lags and 2 what looks like wood screws. Do I need to buy 2 lag bolts maybe another kit cause I do gotta bolt all 4 corner rights?(im putting in & on concrete slab house floor.). Thanks in advance.

Edited by MARKAVELI