Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Targets To Order?

Truegent2004

I'm in charge of stage design for the state sectional and I've finished them. What is the standard for how many targets (Using both IPSC and Classic) to order for the match. Any special formula (e. g. # of shooters times a certain number, etc.)?

I'm in charge of stage design for the state sectional and I've finished them. What is the standard for how many targets (Using both IPSC and Classic) to order for the match. Any special formula (e. g. # of shooters times a certain number, etc.)?

use the opportunity to buy targets for your year long shooting season and order enough to cover that, plus about 150% of what the target count is for your match.

at our tn sectional match, we ordered 1000 and got 1000 on a deal, plus shipping.

lynn

Count up the number of shoot and no shoot targets in the match. As a rule, shoot targets should be replaced at least once per day - probably more often if they have hard cover. No shoot targets can usually last all day.

Have extra targets on hand because:

- it may rain (soggy targets die faster)

- splatter from nearby steel may shred a target

For a 2 day match I would order (4 x # of shoot targets) plus (2 x # no-shoot targets) then add in a healthy margin for the above possibilities.

This is how we planned target orders for a couple of area matches and several Level III matches at our club. We usually have some targets left over because I'm a pessimist and lean toward a very healthy margin :P

It will depend on how many shooters you are expecting and how many days the match will last. A good rule of thumb for the match is to put up fresh targets every morning and to change them out for fresh ones at noon of each day there will be afternoon shooting. A 1.5 day match would see three sets of targets. Other than that, what Lynn said. Buy in bulk and if possible find a vendor who is willing to come to your match or that you can meet at another big match in the area because shipping is a major part of target costs. Nice to avoid it if possible.

John

If you plan on 3 sets of shoot targets and 1 set of noshoot targets per stage, per day, and then add a certain amount of spare above that you will be covered on the minimum.

I do like Lynn's idea of using the opportunity to stock up!

Hard to specify a correct amount in all circumstances as hard cover targets that concentrate the hits may need replacing every squad, or two while most full targets can go all day if they are at 15 yards plus.

I have simple rule about 30 holes is where I toss them. So look at round count and number of expected shooters. Then do the math.

Now painted hardcover targets, that say only allow head shots will need to be replaced with 15 shots.

Just look at targets from any given match and you'll get idea how many rounds before the mush factor creeps in.

Your RO's need to be able to score the targets easily (see the lines and holes).

Targets that aren't wide open (hardcover or no-shoots) tend to get shot up more in one area of the target...and require replacement sooner. The same can be said for targets that take more than 2 rounds per shooter (classifiers, standards and such).

We had 55 shooters at the local match last weekend. We ran the classifier High Standards. Each target there takes 8 rounds per shooter. That requires changing out to fresh targets pretty often (every couple/few of squads).

Close targets can get the centers eaten out of them pretty quick (especially with hardcover on them). Target shot over low walls get the heads shot up...which go quick (and get floppy).

At the Area 8 match, I was the CRO on the Tubular Stage (Stage 5). The targets and stage were such that the shots ended up spread around the targets pretty well. My RO's were able to call shots easily on them and we didn't have to change them out all day (though, we always had a set ready to go right up, if needed).

Most targets can make it through 50 shooters before they get tough to call. For me as a Match Director for a Major match, that means a set of targets for staff day and two sets for each day of shooting (figuring up to 100 shooters a day). Minimum.

Your local club will get (or buy) your extras. Better to have plenty of extra rather than not quite enough.

Same thing goes for score sheets. If 2 squads have to reshoot a stage, you might be out 20-25 score sheets.

And, don't forget pasters. A 225 round match with 175 shooter will need a minimum of 40,000 paster. And, you don't want to last few squads scrambling for pasters. Get LOTS of extra pasters.

While I'm at it, I'll try to attach an easy Excel file that I use to count props for a big match.

If it doesn't attach, email me... Flexmoney at aol dot com (better email, PM here won't work as well)