Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nothing New Under The Sun!

Carmoney

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. So, you guys who shoot revolvers in USPSA, how many reloads (spare full moon clips) do you carry in a given stage?

I carry 8 moonclips across the front plus one extra around back for emergencies.

Short answer 8 forward, 2 back (if needed) and a spare clip on a finger for load up (makes 9/54-11/66 rounds).

By contrast with L10 I usually have a minimum of 5 mags, and 2 extras if needed, plus the barney mag and start up mag (makes 7/68-9/88 rounds). Most Open/Limited rigs have 3 mags and the start mag (4/72 rounds minimum).

Now who carries more ammo? Revoleros just hang it all out there for everyone to see!

I usually use the JM switch hands reload method so I set up my rig as follows. But then I'm always re-evaluating it too.

2 Double Blade-Tech's and 4 Single Holders all in front of the Holster with the 3rd set (from the holster) centered on the zipper. I put the Double Blade-Techs at each end and keep the top one closest to the holster a bit loose. If a stage doesn't have movement and takes multiple static reloads I'll hang the clips from the single holders by just 2 bullets.

If it's a real complicated stage, or mucho rounds, I'll add 2 singles behind the holster. I don't usually leave them there though, as they can catch on chairs and props and such.

With all the rounds forward it does kind of help force proper body lean!

And you'll sparkle nicely in the early morning light, HA!HA!HA!

Edited by pskys2

• 4 years later...

The CHIAPPA RHINO (revolver that fires from the bottom chamber rather than the top) is now available in a 4", 5", and 6" model. With the rumored compatibility to speed loaders for the S&W L-frame, I wonder how long it will be before we see one of these in a USPSA, IDPA, or ICORE match?

The CHIAPPA RHINO (revolver that fires from the bottom chamber rather than the top) is now available in a 4", 5", and 6" model. With the rumored compatibility to speed loaders for the S&W L-frame, I wonder how long it will be before we see one of these in a USPSA, IDPA, or ICORE match?

Daniele, mentioned one being used at his Postal match. :ph34r: The arms race begins. :devil: ..no not really... Later rdd

Funny to see this old thread resurface!

Since that conversation back in 2006, there's no question that the new generation of moonclip holders (and particularly the North Mountain product) has changed the face of the division.

With the North Mountain holder, I like having everything in a more compact space on the belt, and I like the kydex tension that keeps the moonclips nicely in place even when running or jumping, yet allows them to freely slip right off into the loading hand.

It is hard to spend much more than $1000 on a revolver and it isn't neccessary.

Hell, I spent less than $1,000 for both of the competition revolvers I carry in my bag--name another division where you can buy your main gun plus a nearly-identical back-up for less than a grand total!!

This is not true of any other division. Think how radically the other division guys' equipment has changed over that same approximate span of time! Whole new categories of firearms have arisen to fulfill a need, real or perceived.

Any thoughts on this?

Your guns have more work done on them than my guns (Production & Limited). ;)

And, I've seen your mag-funnel (gas station picture). LOL

:)

Interesting read.

Let me try this approach. What if I had a revolver that would make you a GM just by it's design.

Somehow it makes reloading instantaneous.

Fits you hand perfectly .

Costs $2500 and meets all the USPSA rules. They could of course outlaw it.

How would you feel about it?

Would you buy one?

What would it do to 'our' game?

I don't have one but just a what if.

I think it would take most of the fun out of shooting revolver and turn the division into something like limited or open.

I love the ICORE rule book. About 7 pages. That's enough to be safe and have fun.

gm

Giorgio Acerboni used the 4" Chiappa Rhino at IRC 2010 and at ICORE Int. Postal Match shot in Calvisano (ITALY)in Classic division; moonclipped 9x21 and 40 S&W versions are announced.

He is not Jerry so he did not win.

Fast shooting the Rhino gives advantages against regular revolvers, unfortunately in a match economy some tenths of second make no big gain.

Speeding the reloading instead of speeding the shooting could be the answer in a division where reloading time is often bigger than shooting time.

HOW??? That is the big unanswered question for open mind inventors!

Interesting read.

Let me try this approach. What if I had a revolver that would make you a GM just by it's design.

Would you buy one?

I think it would take most of the fun out of shooting revolver and turn the division into something like limited or open.

I love the ICORE rule book. About 7 pages. That's enough to be safe and have fun.

gm

Just a coincidence, I'm sure, but the INDEX of the latest USPSA rulebook is seven [7] pages long. :surprise:

Interesting read.

Would you buy one?

gm

Just a coincidence, I'm sure, but the INDEX of the latest USPSA rulebook is seven [7] pages long. :surprise:

I perhaps stretched the point a bit.... I think we as a group like the simple approach to shooting.

Let's compete on skills not equipment or gaming the rules.

gm

Hmmm, I'll argue a few points.

1. Are you sure? Even if you could machine it to work, even if you could machine it to take a hard hand whack on the side 100 times a match, you're still not going to have anything as easy to use as a big fat magwell enclosed on five of its six sides. I shudder to think of the cylinder stop.

2. True

3. True, but I'm already waiting on my trigger, not the gun.

If you wanted a major advance, figure out a spring-loaded cylinder and spring-loaded clip ejector. That works every time, even with partial moonclips. That would cut .5 off of most reloads instantly.

If you want a minor advance, two words: Athletic tape. Why people shoot the heaviest guns made with the slowest, biggest, pushiest rounds in the sport with the tiniest, slickest stocks escapes me. You gotta have something to hang on to!

H.

I didn't see anyone say it so I will. I am glad there have not been any radical changes. I am glad I am contending with the same problems revolver shooters were 15 years ago. It makes it seem less like an equipment race to me and gives me more confidence when I bought my 15 year old "starter" revolver. After a little work and a little practice, I feel competitive with my 610 pre lock and don't feel like the gun will be outdated in another 6 months. Add that to the fact that they kept making revolvers and since the technology didn't wear out, there are more revolver division worthy guns out there for us to acquire. When I first got into USPSA, I started with Glock, then S_I, then Tanfoglio, then briefly Glock because I thought of Revolver Division as something old men shot. Now that I am 30 and have only shot one season of Revo, I wish I had been shooting it all along. I would probably still be on my same gun. I like the challenge and the fact that there are only really 2 or 3 guns everyone has - a 610, 686 or 625(25-2 etc), there are others but if you aren't shooting one of those you are probably just having fun. No other division is so streamlined not even Production. With the CZ 75 SP-01, the MP Pro, and more and more Production Division ready factory guns springing up everyday, there really is no other division where you can buy simple equipment and be truly competitive. Just my 2 cents.

Lee

Seriously I think the JM stocks/grips are a great innovation. I have noticed the drop in split time and draw to sight alignment time. Funny how gettting one of those little timer things keeps you honest and helps you grow. Carmoney's rebirth of the shaved hammer design is a worthy innovation although he didn't create it, he has contributed to making it more available. I saw an old design the other day the SW 242 which was a seven shot internal hammer 38. Perhaps making a 625 with a frame like that would change the game a little with the ability to get a higher grip. You then open yourself up to glock-like(horrors)strikers and such. Imagine an 8 or 10 shot revo built on a scandium x frame and a titanium cylinder. The stroke would be short for advancement and the reset might be shortened considerably too. Then Jerry would have to prove he wasn't using a machinegun. I think the greatest innvoation potential is in the auto ejection of spent cases...get that reliable and speedloaders are back in the game too. How much time does a gadget have to save to be considered an innovation. The remarkable shooter will always be remarkable now matter what....is a given, but the unremarkable shooter that can save and shave here and there is a good thing too.

Just a rambling mind at play,

Forrest