Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help, What Do I Want?

TimWarner

As someone who also lives in the twin cities I believe I also spoke with the 'local' SV smith. My expereince was not what I was looking for with him, called him twice, left messages, had two existing customers give him my number and asked to call me. No contact what so ever.

I went with a little different approach. I knew very little about a 2011 style open gun so expertise was what I went shopping for. For me Bob at Brazo Custom has been an excellent choice. I've had the gun about 3 months, 0 failures what so ever to date. I've let two expereinces open shooters run a stage with it and both said it was wonderful.

Bob and his wife provide excellent consulting on the build, load data and outstanding service afterwards. When I order my next pistol, open or whatever, I'll just call Brazo.

On a seperate note, where in the twin cities do you shoot? I'm in the west metro area if you want a chance to see a Brazo send me a note.

Give Benny Hill a call, he is a very good smith and knows his single actions. He can give you alot of advice as well. He will build you whatever you want, but is not afraid to tell you what you need.

ooh, I'm in the east metro, shoot mostly at Oakdale gun club, but I work in Rogers.

I would very much enjoy checking out a brazos.

As far as the local SV guy, he's been really really good about working with me. Though I've heard some stories about other stuff, I've never had a phone call or email go unanswered for more than 24 hours.

Do what I did and get one of these:

Brazos008.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this gun. Not only is it 110% reliable it shoots so flat it's amazing. Tracking the dot is so easy with this gun because it barely moves. Bob will most likely talk you out of 9 major and into .38 super.

I have an SV limited gun that has been great to me. However, when comparing the quality and tolerances there is no comparision. The SV is just as reliable but the fitting of all the parts isn't even close to as tight on the Brazos. I've been debating about building a backup gun and would def. build another Brazos.

Several of the guys I shoot with use Bedell and SV open guns. I will def. say that the guys shooting the Bedells have better luck with reliability and haven't had any issues with his guns. I wish I could say the same with the SV's. Several guys have spent months trying to get their SV's to run even 95% of the time. Again, mine has been great to me though.

Good luck,

Pete

Do what I did and get one of these:

I absolutely LOVE this gun. Not only is it 110% reliable it shoots so flat it's amazing.

Hey...that looks like MY blaster right down to the Kidd blast shield! I'm using an open gun just like that. All I did to it was install new trigger parts and I was good to go. Nothing wrong with the original - just really REALLY picky on what I need in a trigger. We also had Bob change the offset mount to a standard mount. Never could get used to the offset thing.

I have let a few people shoot it and they start off NOT liking it - too much blast in the face. After they shoot it through a few stages they really like it. It shoots fast, transitions superbly, and makes A's quickly. I'm loading 3N37 with 125s and it's really loud, hugely obnoxious to ROs, blinding to bystanders (and ME on indoor stages), but SOOOOOO flat! My other open gun is a long non-hybrid gun with STI S-2 comp. It's softer in the hand but nowhere near as fast or flat.