Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Useing The .125 Dawson Front Sight?

steel1212

I ordered it then noticed the 0.090 or 0.100 sight. The person at dawson said the .125 filled the rear, I haven't had it installed yet, and that people prefer the 0.090-0.100 for action shooting sports? I would figure that the .125 filling the front sight would be what you would want?

A fat front sight is a disadvantage. At a good distance the front sight will totaly block out the head shot and A zone.

I am one of those guys who likes lots of white on either side of the front sight. It makes tight or long distance shots easier for me.

I'm one of guys who does not like a lot of white on both sides. Just a little. That way if I'm off some that side winks out and turns black.

It also depends on how steady you can hold the gun. If your shakes cause the white to wink out, you need more.

I don't understand the comment out blocking out the head shot. My guns are sighted so the shot hits target like period over a dash at 25 yards. That assumes I'm doing my part.

Also not a big fan of fiber front sight, to me it changes size with amount of light available. Thus changes my elevation because where do you put the dot in rear notch. Plus distracts from concentration on placing the top of front sight level with top or rear sight. So what i've done is use a small rod and let it get dirty. That way it helps find the front sight against dull backgrounds and pull it into the rear notch asap. But since it small/dirty it doesn't glow, distract, or change sizes.

When I was young and didn't need bifocals non of this mattered. But now that I'm and old fart and can't see. I've had to get my glasses setup so the dominant eye is focused on front sight and other on infinity. Took awhile for my brain to learn use the other eye to see the target. But if your looking at the target your wasting time. As JM stay focused on that front sight. IMHO

I'm missing something here about long shots blocking out the head.

Or maybe I've been using my sights wrong all these years.

___ ___ _ _______

|_| | | | |

When I've got things lined up right my top of my sights is a long black line with two small white vertical slits. I center the horizontal line in middle of head and if target is very narrow I center the part that is visible it in middle of the two white lines. And if I squeeze the trigger and follow through I've got an A head shot??????

What am I not seeing?????

So half the head is always covered regardless of the width of front sight?

Edited by cking

I use a .070 ft. sight w/ a .040 optic. I need a lot of light on both sides for FAST shooting But can still do the prec. stuff by slowing down. I also can see the top of the head at 20 yds & some on each side of the sight for center hits.

• 2 months later...

I went to a .125 Dawson after having had .009 then a .10. The reason is old eyes.

I opened the Bomar blade up to .145 wide slot. With a .125 front site I have plenty of white on both sides of the front blade and the extra width of the front blade makes it easier to pick up.

Novak offers the same set up as an option. Try it you'll like it.

I ordered it then noticed the 0.090 or 0.100 sight. The person at dawson said the .125 filled the rear, I haven't had it installed yet, and that people prefer the 0.090-0.100 for action shooting sports? I would figure that the .125 filling the front sight would be what you would want?

If that .125 is for a STI and you don't want it? PM and I will buy it.

I got them "old eyes" also.

Also not a big fan of fiber front sight, to me it changes size with amount of light available. Thus changes my elevation because where do you put the dot in rear notch. Plus distracts from concentration on placing the top of front sight level with top or rear sight. So what i've done is use a small rod and let it get dirty. That way it helps find the front sight against dull backgrounds and pull it into the rear notch asap. But since it small/dirty it doesn't glow, distract, or change sizes.

Look at the Brazos Custom lightning rod FO front sight. You get a nice sharp sight and a FO that does not change size with the light.

post-3253-1163028209.gif

Look at the Brazos Custom lightning rod FO front sight. You get a nice sharp sight and a FO that does not change size with the light.

Wish I had seen that before I got dawson's put on all my guns lol. Thats a pretty neat idea. No matter how big the dot is the hole only lets a certain size through.

Hello: I have a Dawson from Shooters Connection with the 0.110 front blade and a Bo-Mar rear sight. I like this combo alot. I have a 0.090 with a Kimber rear sight and can't shoot as well with that sight combo, it has too much light on either side. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I have installed DP 0.100 frontsight with DP ajustible rear, and what can i say: wow! It's best config yet. Friend of mine has 0.125 DP front with factory rear on Glock. It is very good sight, because fo rod is melted in it, so it don't distract your eye, so shooting is very nice and sight tracking is very quick. So, look for DP sights, you will not be disappointed.

I run a .110 Dawson with a Heinie Slant Pro and on a BoMar rear sighted 1911's and find it very pleasing to my middle aged eyes. But, I also run a .125 Dawson with the stock rear XD sight and find that perfectly pleasing as well. The notch width of these rears work well for me. I like daylight on each side but find the .090 width too skinny for me. HHjr

The more I look at my black stainless with the FO up front and plain black adjustable in the rear the more I like it better than the FO front and rear setup I have on my othe 1911 and XD. I may just remove the FO rods from the rear on those 2 guns as it seems it distracts from the front sight.

I tend to use a FO front a little differently. I tried one of the thin ones and hated it. Spent too much time trying to get the sights aligned.

I use a fairly large FO rod. I set my guns up where I use the FO like an electronic dot. I just put the dot in the center of the target. The dot fills most of the rear notch. If I can see all of the dot then my sights are aligned.

No problems with long distance shots. Shot some clay pigeons the other day at 60+ yds. Just cover the pigeon with the dot and pull the trigger.