Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Big Stick (170 Mm .38 Super) Spring

tomneal

May I jump in with a question -

The Grams spring and follower kit (13 coil), with a 140mm 38 Super tube and Dawson +2 basepad, does the spring need to be modified to work (coils cut)? How many rounds of 38 super can I expect to get in a mag like this?

With a big stick (170mm), will the same spring/follower work with the Dawson +2 basepads? How many rounds could I expect to get in the mag and have it function realiably (assuming the tubes are tuned properly).

I guess what is throwing me is the 13 coil thing in a 140mm tube. I know in Limited I use the 11 coil set-up from Grams so I wasn't sure if the 13 is interchangeable between the 140mm 38 Super and 170mm 38 Super.

Thanks.

I don't know for sure how many rounds you would get in a 140mm mag with +2 pads, but I suspect somewhere around 21 rounds with a 13 coil spring. I get 20 in my 140s with +1 pads and 13 coil springs. I use the 13 coil spring in 140mm as well as 170mm mags. You could possibly run a 11 coil spring and get one extra round, but a 140 mag with a +2 generally requires a 13 coil spring for reliability. The Grams 11 coil springs are designed for use with 140mm non extended or shorter mags. The 13 coil spring is designed for extended 140mm mags or longer. The +1 Dawson pad, unlike the +2 model, doesn't actually extend the length of the mag tube so you have the option of running the 11 or 13 coil spring with the +1 pad. Shooters who want maximum capacity go with the 11 coil spring. Those, like myself who aren't concerned with the one extra round, and want the extra spring tension, go with the 13 coil spring in the 140s. Irregardless, you will always need the 13 coil spring in the 170mm mags. Here's some additional verbiage on the topic:

CPWSA Grams page

Edited by cpty1

With the 140mm and plus 2 pad use 13 coils and load 21 rounds max.

A 170mm with a plus 1 will fit the gauge and use a 13 coil spring - 170 mm with a plus 2 won't fit the gauge.

p.s. Beven's springs will only work with his followers and you must use his springs as replacements with his followers because of the way they attach to the follower.

Thanks, Bob. This Open game is all new to me. I am setting this up for my son. I did not realize that the +2 would not be legal on the big stick. HOw many rounds could I expect to get in the big stick with a +1 pad? Thanks and take care.

With the 140mm and plus 2 pad use 13 coils and load 21 rounds max.

A 170mm with a plus 1 will fit the gauge and use a 13 coil spring - 170 mm with a plus 2 won't fit the gauge.

p.s. Beven's springs will only work with his followers and you must use his springs as replacements with his followers because of the way they attach to the follower.

i can load 22rds of 38super in my 140mm sti tube with dp +1 base pads with a 13coil grams spring set. if i use the +2 dp pads, sometimes the spring will bind at the bottom and the rounds will get stuck and not go up.

Thus the "load 21" comment :P

Jack,

With the Dawson plus 1, Grams spring/follower 13 coils, and most every tube you will get 28. You may be able to get 29 but it will usually be so tight I would not use it in the gun (may crack the grip or deform the mag release hole in the grip) and it will fit the gauge every time.

With a Grams 4mm pad you may be able to get 29 and be loose enough to load without hurting the grip, but you will have to check it in a gauge it may be too long and have to be modified. When you insert the mag in the gun the top round is pushed down by the disconnector rail on the slide. It has to depress about 1/4 inch. If you can't depress it that far with moderate finger pressure it is not loose enough. The pressure you use to push the top round down 1/4 inch is how much pressure is pushing down on the plastic grip when the mag is seated.

Load no more than 21 in the 140mm even though it can go more. If you need more go to the big stick. You can also download the big stick for increased reliability. The 170mm only start to get finicky when you go over 26 rounds.

Jack... as another option on the short mags, you can make a "medium stick" with an Arredondo basepad and insert + guts of your choice. With the Arredondo follower and spring, I get 24 reloadable, and 25 non-reloadable reliable feeding rounds (STI tubes, BTW).

My SV 140mm tubes w/ Arredondo guts and *flat* Arredondo pads fit, feed, and reload 21, so...

I'm shooting SuperComp, BTW, which might make a difference...

Bob, Dave, et al,

Thanks for the feedback. I am gradually getting this together.

Bob - Kem Dudley told me you had warned him about the overload issue and the grip cracking. That was why I was worried and wanted to check.

Since this is for my son, I want to keep it simple. I want to give him mag capacity, but I also want realiability. So, I think he'll be fine with 21 in the short mags and 25 in the big stick for now.

Dave - Normally I use the Grams basepads, but I bought a 4 mag set from Bob at the A6 with the Dawson pads for my limited gun. Having used those, I set John up with the Dawsons because the seem to be a little easier for him to take apart and clean.

Again, thanks for the feedback. This is helping me get John squared away and, will make it easier for me to convert to the dark-side.....he...he....he... :o

Edited by Jack Suber

Dave - Normally I use the Grams basepads, but I bought a 4 mag set from Bob at the A6 with the Dawson pads for my limited gun. Having used those, I set John up with the Dawsons because the seem to be a little easier for him to take apart and clean.

I like the Dawson pads, too - I have a +1 in the bag I'm just not using right now, but will eventually. I need another one to go with it for my other 140 short mag :D I had a Grams 2mm pad on the big stick.... supposedly he'll be putting a 4mm pad on the mag when he's done tuning it.... maybe in 3 years... :D