Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Sight Pictures In Uspsa?

BlackSabbath

It is pretty clear and I say if I hit it, I was engaging it.

Steve. I'm confused. 10.4.2 applies to a shot that hits the ground within 9.84 feet. How are you going to DQ someone for a shot that hits the ground 11 feet away? All other rules excluded. Let's just say it's a static shooting position and the shot occurs on the draw. Not an uncommon occurrence.

oops....sorry! Your right! I miss read what you were saying earlier. I've been an RO in that situation...shoot draws and first round is in the dirt 10+ feet out...I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to do that...but there's no DQ here.

I had a similar thing while RO'ing a stage at A1-2005. Shooter was engaging some low targets over a wall and moving to the left....he had just shot the required number of rounds at the targets and was looking to the left and when the gun went off....into the corner stick of the target....I thought about it for a brief instant (very brief) ... and said nothing. All he would have had to say is "I was engaging the target" .... nothing says you have to be looking at the target to engage it.

In the few instances where I've DQ'ed anyone, I first make 100% sure that a DQ'able infraction has occured (as in NO doubt in my mind that it has happend)....if I'm not 100% certain (as in the above examples), I let them go.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty clear and I say if I hit it, I was engaging it.

Hitting or not is not part of the rule. Either the competitor is actually shooting at the target or they aren't. The reality of that is simple, and that is what the rule is. Making that call as the RO isn't as simple.

( I know we are drifting here. But, for point of reference...the Red rule book covered this as follows: 10.3.2.2 Any discharge during movement except while engaging targets. The green rule book clarified as follows: 10.4.6 A shot which occurs during movement, except while actually shooting at targets. If I recall correctly, the whole point of changing that wording was to eliminate the "I hit the target so I was engaging it" argument. )