Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prop Tossing And Monkey Motions

shred

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they did that at Bisley for the Worlds, and it was coooooold water!

Yup, 1993 World Shoot - cold, rainy day, cold, cold water, but they kindly provided a towel with which to dry off, should one wish to take the time (thank god for skateboard tape)...can you say "chapped?"

Had a stage at the DoubleTap last year that started w/ hands in water, and also involved a star... :D All your bubble gum in one stage....

Ok, not really - it didn't impress me as a bubble-gummy stage, in the end. The water, in this case, added just enough challenge to an otherwise fairly easy short field course so that you had to pay attention to your sights with a little more care than you otherwise might...

I believe they did that at Bisley for the Worlds, and it was coooooold water!

Yup, 1993 World Shoot - cold, rainy day, cold, cold water, but they kindly provided a towel with which to dry off, should one wish to take the time (thank god for skateboard tape)...can you say "chapped?"

We added some washing up liquid for good measure. The whole stage was set up as a washroom. Practical!

If we stop doing stages that stages that start with hands in water then we have to stop shooting in the rain or snow.

Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started shooting IPSC in 1983, When I walk up to a stage like this, I can picture the Volkswagon pulling into the middle of the stage and 15 clowns rolling out!!! :P:lol::lol::lol:

Ivan

Yea those guys from the out of town club, shoot at our club but in general they are pretty safe shooters.

Usually late for the shooters meeting

• 4 weeks later...

I will have to confess, I have done some stage designs with props and unusual starting positions. The last two years on the Friday after Easter I set up stages that required the shooter to load an Easter basket with plastic eggs then shoot the stage. Yeah it was goofy but all of the shooters had a great time and several shot it a second time just for giggles. Last year after Christmas I set up Santa Goes Psycho where the shooter started with a bag of "toys" in strong hand then dropped it into a "chimeny" before drawing the gun and shooting the stage. Targets were modified slightly to include candy canes and "flying" rain deer. Again the cheese factor was high but it went over well and once more there were a lot of shooters that shot it a second time for the fun of it.

Last night I set up two Thanksgiving themed stages and it went over a lot better than I could have hoped for. One stage had you starting at a table with a carving fork and knife in your hands with the props touching Xs on the table, gun unloaded with slide forward and hammer down placed inside a roasting pan. At the tone drop the knife and fork, grab your pistol from the roaster, load it and shoot the targets as you see them. No shoots had drumbsticks painted on them for this stage. The second stage you were seated on the sofa with TV remote in hand, gun on top of the "TV" as before unloaded with slide forward, hammer down. At the tone place the remote on top of the TV, grab your gun and load it then shoot the stage. On this one there were turkey legs and drumsticks on the no shoots.

Talk about overkill on the cheese factor but you know what? Not a single shooter had a gripe about the stages, not a single shooter had a problem with the stages and everyone had a great time. Heck I had shooters going through the stages two and three times or more.

I guess what I am getting at is, would I do this kind of thing all the time? HECK NO!!! It was a ton of work and head ache getting all the props together. Was it fun? You bet your butt it was and I would do something like that again given the chance. We even had a shooter or two from out of town join us and I have a feeling that anytime they are in town again, they will join us for our weekly shooting match.

Photos and video from last nights match can be seen on the USPSA web site later this weekend, I still need to get them uploaded.

Just my two cents worth I guess.

Joe W.

Cheeze-factor is fine by me.. I once did an stage with a dummy grenade painted like an Easter egg that you had to drop into a basket to activate the last drop-out target... it's the 'you have to throw the grenade through this little window or it's a penalty' or 'the baby basket has to be entirely in this little tiny spot or you get a penalty per shot fired' kinda junk that irritates me.

I will have to confess, I have done some stage designs with props and unusual starting positions. The last two years on the Friday after Easter I set up stages that required the shooter to load an Easter basket with plastic eggs then shoot the stage. Yeah it was goofy but all of the shooters had a great time and several shot it a second time just for giggles. Last year after Christmas I set up Santa Goes Psycho where the shooter started with a bag of "toys" in strong hand then dropped it into a "chimeny" before drawing the gun and shooting the stage. Targets were modified slightly to include candy canes and "flying" rain deer. Again the cheese factor was high but it went over well and once more there were a lot of shooters that shot it a second time for the fun of it.

Last night I set up two Thanksgiving themed stages and it went over a lot better than I could have hoped for. One stage had you starting at a table with a carving fork and knife in your hands with the props touching Xs on the table, gun unloaded with slide forward and hammer down placed inside a roasting pan. At the tone drop the knife and fork, grab your pistol from the roaster, load it and shoot the targets as you see them. No shoots had drumbsticks painted on them for this stage. The second stage you were seated on the sofa with TV remote in hand, gun on top of the "TV" as before unloaded with slide forward, hammer down. At the tone place the remote on top of the TV, grab your gun and load it then shoot the stage. On this one there were turkey legs and drumsticks on the no shoots.

Talk about overkill on the cheese factor but you know what? Not a single shooter had a gripe about the stages, not a single shooter had a problem with the stages and everyone had a great time. Heck I had shooters going through the stages two and three times or more.

I guess what I am getting at is, would I do this kind of thing all the time? HECK NO!!! It was a ton of work and head ache getting all the props together. Was it fun? You bet your butt it was and I would do something like that again given the chance. We even had a shooter or two from out of town join us and I have a feeling that anytime they are in town again, they will join us for our weekly shooting match.

Photos and video from last nights match can be seen on the USPSA web site later this weekend, I still need to get them uploaded.

Just my two cents worth I guess.

Joe W.

Joe's holiday stages are a hoot. I and the others really liked the Thanksgiving themed stages this past friday.

Though I like the extra motions and stuff. I must confess I have set one up where the shooter had to carry a large stuffed Piglet character with them and get it put into a barrel 2/3 of the way through the course. I guess I could have just required that the course be shot strong hand only but that wouldn't have been any fun. :ph34r:

Chris

I guess I could have just required that the course be shot strong hand only but that wouldn't have been any fun. :ph34r:

Well, that's just it... unless its a standards or classifier, you can't require this, so... forcing a prop to be carried is basically the only way to "convince" someone to shoot strong hand only on a field course.

Of course, creative gamer types will many times figure out how to carry the prop other than in their weak hand, so... it may not even work for that :D

• 4 weeks later...

anyone wanna shoot an el prez? ;)

the only thing i can think about that i truly Hate is the windmill targets...

at the north texas section match...we shot a stage that required you open a sucker and put it in your mouth before shooting...the sucker had to stay in your mouth the whole time.

the only thing i can see that it did was slow the draw by about .75 seconds..but it sure was weird shooting with a tootsie pop in your mouth.

the whole match was a halloween theme...so it kinda went along.

damn the windmills..damn them!

Harmon

• 6 months later...

This sounds stupid and I know I lack the basketball sized pair to pull it off -- but what if.....

On a stage with a step on style activator (lets say activates a swinger) is box C or D - could a real gamer improvise a "gernade" prop or throw a mag down range to activate the last swinger?

I haven't been around long enough (or I am lucky) to encounter a stage where you need to throw things or do monkey movements. The idea sounds pretty ridiculous reading all the previous post.

Oh yeah, I guess this a good place to add something that has gone through my mind every single time I leave steal standing need to reload for one shot - I always have the urge to throw my mag at it.

Edited by Vagus

Area 4 a couple years ago (or was it East TX Section Championship?) had a stage with 3 step on box activators in a row..... the activators made 3 separate arrays of clamshells activate, caused timing problems for a lot of people. Blake Miquez threw a mag to activate one of the activators while stepping on the other two, saved some time, and was able to hose the 3 clamshells array in one big continuous string. One of the coolest things I've seen. I believe he won the stage, and also Limited? Memory is fuzzy.

The other couple guys who tried the same thing, lets just say it did not work out as well (if you missed with the thrown mag, you still had to run to all 3 activators, and now you are out of sequence).

Area 4 a couple years ago (or was it East TX Section Championship?) had a stage with 3 step on box activators in a row..... the activators made 3 separate arrays of clamshells activate, caused timing problems for a lot of people. Blake Miquez threw a mag to activate one of the activators while stepping on the other two, saved some time, and was able to hose the 3 clamshells array in one big continuous string. One of the coolest things I've seen. I believe he won the stage, and also Limited? Memory is fuzzy.

The other couple guys who tried the same thing, lets just say it did not work out as well (if you missed with the thrown mag, you still had to run to all 3 activators, and now you are out of sequence).

I worked that stage, and I think Manny won it, shooting straight up. I'll bet Manny can dance too. :lol: