Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed =

sandman_sy

Love the SPEED, Hate the MISSES!!! :angry:

I totally crashed last weekends Club shoot :(

I don't know what triggered it... was it the 5 hours of sleep... or the lack of food in my tummy... or just plain stupid :angry: Man... i got myself 6 misses in a 7 stage course, mostly moving targets... AAaarggh... :wacko:

I am a more of a "Accuracy" shooter than a speed shooter.. but seems i got my priorities reversed... was still lucky to end up a bit high(by my standards)... i guess i wasn't the only one having a bad day :P

sigh... and to add another rant... there's a level 3 competition this weekend... and i can't go coz i got a store to manage(My brother is going to a Business Vacation). I guess you can't have it all.... :(:(:(

I did the same thing last weekend at a IDPA match. I was in a miserable pissed off mood. Screwed up big time on the first stage. Screwed up again on the second stage. So I decided to go balls out and spray and pray. I think I had the highest points down at 76 pts in a 4 stage match. Still finished mid-field overall which was kind of funny.

What did you learn from going to fast?

I have crashed several matches over the spring and summer, trying to find that 'visual acceptability' knob that is talked about. I have at least seen that knob, don't know for sure if I know where I left it though.

I pushed the speed intentionally, going a little faster than the week before, and then a little more until it started to fall apart. I even shot one as fast as I can manipulate the gun safely. I watched closely to see what it looks like. I know what it looks like to shoot great points, and I wanted to see what I start letting go of for the sake of speed. For me it wasn't so much what I was able to see at warp 9, it was noticing what I didn't see that has been most helpful.

I feel your pain.

I have been struggling with the same issue.

In fact, when time is not a factor I am a pretty fair marksman.

My first year in IPSC I never had a problem with accuracy.

I was shooting a single stack in L10 and always had high points/low times = middle of the pack scores.

When I moved to Limited and started to really press for speed, scores jumped up, things were going well for a few months, then the problems set in.

My accuracy just evaporated and misses abound.

I have tried to focus on hits in my practice and in matches to no avail.

I just can't make myself slow down.

I totaly trashed the local match yesterday.

Had mikes on every stage but one.

Some stages had several.

Curiously I almost always get my hits on the moving targets.

Its the static targets that seem to be bullet proof.

Range doesn't seem to matter either.

I am at a loss as to how to fix it short of just walking through the stage and shooting it like a bullseye match.

What would that accomplish?

I want to move forward, not start over.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Curiously I almost always get my hits on the moving targets.

Its the static targets that seem to be bullet proof.

Range doesn't seem to matter either.

To me, this is a sign of a visual / paying attention issue-- you might hit the movers because you're really looking at them, and might be missing the statics because you're kinda looking "through" them-- taking them for granted and not giving them the attention they deserve, especially on the second shot.

To me the speed/control knob adjusts visual acceptability, not speed; that's a byproduct. Here's a mini-example--

Say something like an 18x24 Steel Challenge gong. On Smoke & Hope at 7 or 10 yards. At the minimum, I get a glimpse of white target around the sights and fire. Most of the time that scores an excellent run, but occasionally crashes. Good enough for best 4/5. If I have to stick a run, I would dial it back so I see at least a few inches of white target around the sights. If they had scoring rings like a paper target, I'd dial it back more so the sights have to be in the top scoring zone of the target before firing.

At that point, you need an acceptable level of calling the shot as well-- you don't always have to see the sights lift on a huge target at 7 yards, but you need to know if the shot was good. When I have mystery-misses, this part (followthrough) is usually what's not happening.

Sometimes, if everything lines up and the sights are where you want them, you can shoot just as fast while needing to see more, but when you can't is when you take the extra time to see what you need. Most of the time I don't feel like I'm shooting faster or slower-- I'm just shooting what I need to see.

just this weekend, did a whole "back to basic" on my shooting(Still coudn't believe the misses). Used up 100 bullets on bill drills and ended up mostly in the c zone.... what?? c zone.... hmmm.... sat down.. did a zero... bang... right in the kisser. Talking to myself... was i flinching?... is my stance all wrong?... or do i need glassess(me being paranoid) hahaha! :)

Probably spent 15 min, analyzing myself.. just standing there and just doing dry fire and checking myself, stance, grip, etc..... the problem was sitting right in my face.... My GRIP...found out that the way i was holding the grip got reversed. 70% on the right and 30% on the left(i'm a right hand shooter). Problem solved. Did a mock up stage with moving targets... All alphas!!! yeehhaaaa!! i'm back!!! :)

Special thanx to Brian Enos book... reread it over week and it helped me to find my problem by being open to everything around me. :) Thanx BE!!!