Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aware

Northern Xtreme

Hello fellow revolver shooters. John, Gary, 10 mm Dave, Craig.

Since we wont see the results until Monday night I was wondering how many of you went to the AWARE match and how you did.

I found it to be an excellent revolver nuetral match.

I shot a better match than I did at Area 7, but I still tanked one stage and doubt my performance was good enough to win.

If John shot about as good as he did at Area 7, I figure he will have me by around 100 points, but if he had a few bad stages I should be close to him. I dont know about any of you other guys since I havent been shooting revolver against you very long.

I shot my best on stages 7,8,& 9. I crashed and burned on stage 2 which was the first stage we shot on Thursday in the pouring rain. The poppers in the cave didnt fall when I hit them low so I had to re-engage costing me an extra reload and then I had a mike on the drop out target. Its always nice to start a match out by bombing the first stage.

My favorite stage to shoot was 9, and I think stage 1 was the coolest.

Let me know how you guys did. The suspense is killing me.

As always it was an excellent match. As my last major I wish I had done better. I did the match in order and started on 1.

I liked the layouts and only really got confused on 7. The cave woman had all my attention :wub:

All in all it was a good match, but my knees don't make 9 stages anymore :( I will stick to local matches from now on. As far as overall performance, my hits were there but the time wasn't.

I saw Moony there but he was shooting Sunday. Left him my spare revolver but I hope he didn't need it.

Regards,

Gary

I feel I had a really good match, the stages were great, well done and well run.

I also got "screwed" on a dam popper on "Klondike Rush" (stage 2), my own fault for not

asking for a calibration but the left popper was definitely not right.

I went by that stage at the end of the day and the guys said they had 7 calibration requests

that day alone. Now I'm new to this kind of game but that's sure an indication something was not right. :angry:

Anyways, I'm complaining and I have no right to, the Green Mountain folks did a tremendous

job making up these stages and the staff was great and worked their butts off to keep everything

running smoothly. I can only imagine how much work this match must take to setup.

If your in the Northeast, this is the match to go to. Actually, I think this would be a better location

for the "East Coast Revolver Blitz" like the Summer Blast but Stowe can be a bit pricey for rooms.

The cave man stage was a tough one since all the colors seemed to blend into the

background, plus that one 8 inch steel plate that got painted each time was covered in sand so that

was a bit tricky to pick out !

Unfortunately your buddy John S didn't fair as well as he would have liked, he was battling a head

cold and looked horrible all day long, (physically horrible that is) the last 2-3 stages I was actually

worried he was dehydrated or really messed up as he was shooting very slow.

Gary....sorry to hear your decision but I can understand, The range is a very hilly range so if you have

bad knee's or bad anything I can see it hurting. I will see you on the local circuit.

Ya know...you could get a golf cart and offer to lug your squads gear around, you'd be a hit fer sure ;)

Okay, before I forget, A huge thanks to the match director, all the match staff, Caspian & S&W.

So who's got pic's of the stages ???

The left popper on the Klondike stage received numerous calibration requests, but as of the time I shot (my first stage on Sunday) every one had passed. The RO mentioned that even low .45 hits would not take it down, but that it passed every 9mm calibration test.

The left popper on the Klondike stage received numerous calibration requests, but as of the time I shot (my first stage on Sunday) every one had passed. The RO mentioned that even low .45 hits would not take it down, but that it passed every 9mm calibration test.

That's what they said to me too Rob, but I always have this issue about calibrating poppers.

The RO asks within the squad "who has a 9mm", now....do we know what that 9mm's PF is ?? Or where they using a load that had been calibrated ??

As far as these poppers in question, there was NO question the left popper was set WAY heavier than the right, and a hit by a 168 pf round (yes that's what I chrono'd at) hitting at

the bottom of the circle, dead center on a half size popper that baby should have gone down. (we're talking 2-3 inches low here folks)

The popper in question was also sitting on the ground at a 10-15 degree angle

looking at it's face which made the metal-to-metal bearing surface that much worse. Then

add sand to the mix with the heavy setting and it's a crap shoot.

So how's about the scenario where a hit moves the popper back and hold's it up but then the 9mm

round finishes the fall ?? (For those that were smart enough to ask for the calibration as I was not)

And again, I shouldn't complain, these folks put in a lot of work to have someone the likes of me complaining,

so please any AWARE shoot folks reading this please don't take offence, just please, next year, make the poppers

level and equal :)

As far as these poppers in question, there was NO question the left popper was set WAY heavier than the right, and a hit by a 168 pf round (yes that's what I chrono'd at) hitting at

the bottom of the circle, dead center on a half size popper that baby should have gone down. (we're talking 2-3 inches low here folks)

If the hit was below the circle, there is no power factor which, under the rules, "should" knock down the popper. There is also no rule which mandates that poppers which do go down when hit in the circle have the same amount of tolerance for off-circle hits.

What is relevant is if hits on the circle were failing to take down the popper. Also, the rules require that the 9mm ammo be chronoed out of the test gun and a record maintained - although matches have been known to overlook this point. I guess they had the need for a calibration gun figured out by Sunday since the RO wore a 9x19 which I assume was for calibrary.

If the hit was below the circle, there is no power factor which, under the rules, "should" knock down the popper. There is also no rule which mandates that poppers which do go down when hit in the circle have the same amount of tolerance for off-circle hits.

What is relevant is if hits on the circle were failing to take down the popper. Also, the rules require that the 9mm ammo be chronoed out of the test gun and a record maintained - although matches have been known to overlook this point. I guess they had the need for a calibration gun figured out by Sunday since the RO wore a 9x19 which I assume was for calibrary.

Nope, the RO wore an (unloaded of course) 9mm only because he lives in Vermont where ALL non-felons are legally permitted to carry and most of the local range staff do so. (They unload to the top of the hill before entering the range) All calibrations were performed by the RM including mine on the same popper mentioned and he did indeed chronograph the calibration ammo.

This might be better merged with the thread in the Major Match section.

I saw the RO on that stage go out of his way to ask a shooter who hit low on the left popper if he wanted a calibration. He made it very clear that this was the shooter's right, and that he would not be in the slightest bit annoyed if the competitor chose to exercise that option.

I saw the RO on that stage go out of his way to ask a shooter who hit low on the left popper if he wanted a calibration. He made it very clear that this was the shooter's right, and that he would not be in the slightest bit annoyed if the competitor chose to exercise that option.

It was an excellent stage. I was told Friday they were calibrated for a full hit as per rules. Went down first time for me :)

But what do I know.

Regards,

Gary

All righty then :blink: ,

since I screwed up and shot the dang thing again anyway's it pretty much don't matter,

my bad, I screwed up, I'll shoot 180 pf from now on, and I'll keep my mouth closed <_<

And again, thank you all for putting on a great match.

and I'll keep my mouth closed.

Nope, no need of that. I'm pretty sure that this discussion is what the board is for. :D

Both the match director and I experienced the exact same thing as you. I had Ed come over and shoot it knowing it would probably fall over but like I told him, it doesn't cost me anything. Plus I got to make fun of him when he missed it the first time. :ph34r:

BTW It was nice meeting you. I haven't had a chance to try that battery tip you gave me yet which is why my times are so long on some stages. Step right up folks, and witness the disapearing dot trick! :blink:

and I'll keep my mouth closed.

Nope, no need of that. I'm pretty sure that this discussion is what the board is for. :D

Both the match director and I experienced the exact same thing as you. I had Ed come over and shoot it knowing it would probably fall over but like I told him, it doesn't cost me anything. Plus I got to make fun of him when he missed it the first time. :ph34r:

BTW It was nice meeting you. I haven't had a chance to try that battery tip you gave me yet which is why my times are so long on some stages. Step right up folks, and witness the disapearing dot trick! :blink:

So that's who you are ! ! !

I was looking for a guy with the handle "SHrek" last night :blink:

And now I see shrek under your pic, I'm still looking for the that info on the dot guy,

I'll get it to you soon.

Oh...and nice meeting you too !

Dave,

Congrats on a great match win. I didnt think I left much room on stages 8 & 9 and you got me by 3 seconds on each one. Well done.

I am glad to see some competitive revolver shooters around in New England. I am going to start playing that game for a while now. I look forward to meeting you and John some time in the near future.

I just bought a 625 and I am getting ready to order all the goodies for it. That stuff will cost me almost as the gun!

I also notice you shot a few 100% classifiers. Thats impressive. They need to correct your classification and change it to A dont they? You are down as "U" on the match results.

Dave,

Congrats on a great match win. I didnt think I left much room on stages 8 & 9 and you got me by 3 seconds on each one. Well done.

I am glad to see some competitive revolver shooters around in New England. I am going to start playing that game for a while now. I look forward to meeting you and John some time in the near future.

I just bought a 625 and I am getting ready to order all the goodies for it. That stuff will cost me almost as the gun!

I also notice you shot a few 100% classifiers. Thats impressive. They need to correct your classification and change it to A dont they? You are down as "U" on the match results.

Thanks NX, sorry we didn't meet up while there (or have we met and I forgot :wacko: ).

I agree, it's good to have more revo shooters and I hope we have more in the future.

Looks like you had a blazing run on the OK corral, when I saw the results I thought "oh-oh,

another revo shooter to look out for" :o

I don't know why they have me as Unclassified (un-classy maybe) Actually John's B class is

incorrect also......guess maybe I ought to email somebody about that.

Good luck with the 625, should handle a tad different than the 686 I think :)

(I read somewhere else here your shooting an L frame)

Dave, email Scott at scot1911@adelphia.net (I think)- it's posted at the top of the results on uspsa.org. Your last name is also spelled incorrectly, last I saw.

I had a good time, especially when I decided to actually SHOOT the way I knew I could. I need to become more consistent, and that'll get worked on....

Awesome props, great design, and a fun match to shoot.

Congrats on the win Dave!

See you (that make it) next weekend in Manville- I won't be at Harvard this one.

-Greg

THe left popper on Klondike rush ate a lot of shooters up. I was the match director, I left that one standing and lost the calibration I requested on it. I can assure you there was no problem with the popper itself. If you went back and looked at the cave "mouth" the backside of it was lined with 3/8 steel diamond plate. I believe a lot of people mistook the sound of your bullet hitting the prop for a "good hit on the steel." The other thing that I know was happening. I watched at least 2 people do it, was that they were hitting the prop, a fragment of their bullet was being deflected downwards and hitting the popper, leaving a mark. It looked like a good hit. What was really hitting the popper was a fragment of your original projectile. Not the complet bullet going at the proper speed.

For the record, we chrono our calibration gun and ammunition everymorning. It made minimum power factor every day.

THe left popper on Klondike rush ate a lot of shooters up. I was the match director, I left that one standing and lost the calibration I requested on it. I can assure you there was no problem with the popper itself. If you went back and looked at the cave "mouth" the backside of it was lined with 3/8 steel diamond plate. I believe a lot of people mistook the sound of your bullet hitting the prop for a "good hit on the steel." The other thing that I know was happening. I watched at least 2 people do it, was that they were hitting the prop, a fragment of their bullet was being deflected downwards and hitting the popper, leaving a mark. It looked like a good hit. What was really hitting the popper was a fragment of your original projectile. Not the complet bullet going at the proper speed.

For the record, we chrono our calibration gun and ammunition everymorning. It made minimum power factor every day.

Thanks for the post Scott, as I stated earlier, I was going to leave this one alone but since your here :)

You say you "lost the calibration I requested on it", that's too bad, must have wasted an awful lot of time

to have all those calibration requests done. I don't remember when I found out there was steel around the

cave entrance, I know it was after I shot my run, I didn't hit that steel but understand what you mean.

I've shot a lot of freshly painted steel and I know a solid hit from a "bank shot" ;)

I'll make sure on my walk thru's next year to check the poppers so I know which one's might be iffy from a

non-dead-center hit. (I can do that on a walk thru can't I ??)

And thanks for the calibration gun explanation, I apologize if I offended or meant to imply you folks weren't

doing it "by the book", I was using a generalization of other matches (all local mind you) where the squad

RO will use anybody's 9mm to check a questionable popper. I know it's a tough job to set up and run those

weekend matches, so your job was 100 times harder, I just hate getting burned by a piece of steel.

And again, I thank you and all your folks for putting on a great match, the thought and preperation that

had to go into those stages is mind boggling. And then to have some weenie revo shooter like me complain

about one piece of steel :angry:

Some people are just never happy B)

I guess I opened a can of worms when I mentioned the popper not going down for me at the start of this thread. I was not suggesting that it was improperly calibrated.

The trick is that because it was in the cave you couldnt see the top half of the popper unless you squatted down a little.

Trying to shoot the stage quickly I decided to try to hit it as high as possible without squatting. I shot it dead center but definately low of the calibration circle, it went with the second hit in the same spot.

I wasnt trying to suggest that it was set too heavy. It was my own fault I shot it low.

The match was excellent, keep up the good work. I hope we have this match to shoot every year.

I guess I opened a can of worms when I mentioned the popper not going down for me at the start of this thread. I was not suggesting that it was improperly calibrated.

The trick is that because it was in the cave you couldnt see the top half of the popper unless you squatted down a little.

Trying to shoot the stage quickly I decided to try to hit it as high as possible without squatting. I shot it dead center but definately low of the calibration circle, it went with the second hit in the same spot.

I wasnt trying to suggest that it was set too heavy. It was my own fault I shot it low.

The match was excellent, keep up the good work. I hope we have this match to shoot every year.

And I hope I didn't offend anyone either, was not my intent, I was just venting.

Archived