Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Business To Start?

Say you just resigned from your job. You have an undetermined amount of time and access to a fair amount of capital with the goal of starting a profitable business that you enjoy. What business would you start (shooting related or not shooting related)?

I knew a guy that made a small fortune printing and distributing those free Real Estate guides. No matter whether the market is hot or cold, agents have to advertise, so he had a very nice stream of steady income. Not a sexy job, but it paid the bills alright.

I think now is the time to do Oil and Gas consulting, or anything related to O&G, Hell Water haulers are making $300.00 a day, rig hands get ungodly sums ($26.50/hr no experience) and these guys are on the low end. If you have a Geology degree, well I won't even talk about it, but per day is what I used to make in 2 week! If you have any company man experience ...name your price! Life is good, look to energy! KURTM

Lets see. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Noth Dakota, to a lesser extent money wize Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico... Recruting add?? Do I have any Geologist in the crowd?? :D KURTM

Pick something so you'll get weekends off... eventually.

I have never had a job that didn't envolve working weekends.

But that is my own fault. That would really be sweet to have the ability to plan on shooting matches a year ahead. :)

And make enough loot to do it right!

FM

Lets see. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Noth Dakota, to a lesser extent money wize Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico... Recruting add?? Do I have any Geologist in the crowd?? :D KURTM

No, but my wife says I am trainable!! :D You've met her, does she seem like a person you would argue with? :unsure:

I think now is the time to do Oil and Gas consulting, or anything related to O&G, Hell Water haulers are making $300.00 a day, rig hands get ungodly sums ($26.50/hr no experience) and these guys are on the low end. If you have a Geology degree, well I won't even talk about it, but per day is what I used to make in 2 week! If you have any company man experience ...name your price! Life is good, look to energy! KURTM

yes KURTM is correct, here in Grande Prairie Alberta the welders make $2000.00 / day, safety inspectors make 1000.00+ / day, consultants are charging $1500.00/day, environmental guys charge over $1000.00 / day and on and on. This is the real reason oil is $77/barrel!!! or at least when it is $77 a barrel the oil companies can afford to pay the crazy money

Edited by grassy knoll

+1 to that, Where are they hiring these people, kurt? I'd be moving jiffy quick for that kinda cake.

Mikey - just head over to Whiting. If you can't find it on the map, just let your nose lead the way!!! :D

The real estate magazine thing: Be sure you're in a market where there's no more that ONE other such magazine in circulation. Competition is fierce, small downturns in the real estate market cause the agents to go into hiding, real estate people are goofy to deal with (in general) and getting agents to pay their bills on time can be a nightmare. Then you have to deal with realtors who submit very bad photos--making your publication look bad--or be ready to spend time with Photoshop, rendering them usable. So... you then have to have a good, reliable photographer or team of reliable photographers to keep the quality up, someone to handle the fundamental layout tasks, find a good and reliable lab to do the photo work if film is involved, and perhaps even put up with nutty people running the show above you if it's a franchise or chain publication.

Yep, if you like herding cats, you'll LOVE this job. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or just go with what kimel said. ;)

Dave~ The company I am with now services all the industries in Whiting. I know they pay well, but not much (if at all) more than I am making now. I havent ever seen $26/hr. to start with no experience or degree. I really would move for that sorta thing, especially if I could quit working midnights and weekends.

[Drift]

real estate people are goofy to deal with (in general) .

Amen to that, I've been stuck...ummm I mean working happily in certain segments of the real estate/mortgage service industry for over 10 years. Instead of directly insulting many groups in the industry I'll just whole heartedly agree with SIG Lady that people in this industry are goofy.... :wacko::D

[/Drift]

Back to the topic at hand, mostly because it fits my experience I'd start a consulting firm to investigate mortgage fraud, insurance fraud, etc. related to the mortgage/real estate industry. Your clients are everyone from Banks, to mortgage companies big and small, title insurance underwriters, to various entities in the US and State Governments that don't have the time and/or resources to do it themselves.

Is this business something to be enjoyed or rather just a 'money maker'?

I learned a loooong time ago that when you do something you love for your job it will likely turn into "work". I've had a few jobs that many people would kill to have. I ended up getting very tired of them. Perhaps I enjoyed them longer then I would working at Wal Mart but I think it's very rare when you love your job for ever.

After 14 + years in my current profession, I could use a break......

The biggest problem I have with working an outside job, running my own business, doing volunteer work for the Sheriff... I just never freakin' get a day off!! It's actually reached the point where I don't often have time to even go SHOOTING the once-a-week I'm accustomed to...!!!! I gotta change this picture... somehow... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Siggy, I dig ya on working everyday.

Last year match count- 41

This years projected match count- 4

Zero practice sessions so far this year also.

This friday will be my 4th day off since april, all on straight midnight shifts.

The real estate magazine thing: Be sure you're in a market where there's no more that ONE other such magazine in circulation. Competition is fierce, small downturns in the real estate market cause the agents to go into hiding, real estate people are goofy to deal with (in general) and getting agents to pay their bills on time can be a nightmare. Then you have to deal with realtors who submit very bad photos--making your publication look bad--or be ready to spend time with Photoshop, rendering them usable. So... you then have to have a good, reliable photographer or team of reliable photographers to keep the quality up, someone to handle the fundamental layout tasks, find a good and reliable lab to do the photo work if film is involved, and perhaps even put up with nutty people running the show above you if it's a franchise or chain publication.

Yep, if you like herding cats, you'll LOVE this job. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or just go with what kimel said. ;)

Like Alice In Chains, this Realtor® "pays his bills on time".

Our market would love some competition because there is NONE.

We aren't all goofy or nutty either.

We have a Code of Ethics that we have to live by 24/7.

FM

A small CNC machine shop specializing in prototyping and short production runs. There are several industries that are in need of this kind of shop to sub out to, at least out here in the southwest. Firearms, custom boat manufacturers, military, speciality automotive shops, etc, etc, etc.

You can gross into the mid to high 6 figures running a small shop with just a couple of employees.

A small CNC machine shop specializing in prototyping and short production runs. There are several industries that are in need of this kind of shop to sub out to, at least out here in the southwest. Firearms, custom boat manufacturers, military, speciality automotive shops, etc, etc, etc.

You can gross into the mid to high 6 figures running a small shop with just a couple of employees.

Bob, could you define small prototyping machine shop a bit more ?