Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Does The Primer Early Warning System Work?

I'm setting up my brand new XL650 and was wondering how it works. I see the switch and finger that presses on it. But the thing is mounted on top of the primer tube ...? So what will press the finger down to activate the buzzer switch?

It's not such an obvious mechanism ... have I installed it correctly?

Edited by charliez

Sound installed correct to me.

Now add the long black plunger that has a little button on top to put pressure on the stack of primers in the tube and when they get low, that button on top pushes the switch to make it buzzz.

heh .. Am I the only one who never bought one and just uses a thin dowel with a mark on it? Well a mark, and 9mm case inside of a .40 case, inside of a .45 case as weight up top.

• 4 years later...

Mine does not sound all the time, I have the 45 case on it. Battery is new. This thing has a mind of it's own.

Even if I push down on the black lever, it only sounds half of the time.

What can I do, short of sending it back to Dillon?

Mine does not sound all the time, I have the 45 case on it. Battery is new. This thing has a mind of it's own.

Welcome!

I don't know if Dillon would take the no BS approach on this one. Good question for them though. Usually electrical stuff has a time limit on the warranty. Don't really know if this is in that category.

Mine is two years old, same battery, and works fine.

You won't have to send it to Dillon. Call them tomorrow, tell them what you've told us, they'll send you a new one without any hassle. Dillon has done similar things for me several times, they're solid.

Thanks for the reply.

I can push the little blue button below the black lever, and it does nothing. I hear the micro switch click, but it does nothing. If I tap lightly on the side of the buzzer unit, it will buzz a little bit, but stops after a second. I think the switch may be bad.

You won't have to send it to Dillon. Call them tomorrow, tell them what you've told us, they'll send you a new one without any hassle. Dillon has done similar things for me several times, they're solid.

Mine stopped working on a 650 I used a while back. Called Dillon and asked if it was covered and the reply was no. I bought a replacement. No big deal, though.

Just a thought. Did you change the battery?

Mine has done that, it's the contacts. Try rolling the battery or lightly cleaning the contact points with something like an eraser. Make sure you have a good battery. Rolling the battery usually works for me.

Yes to both of those.

be

heh .. Am I the only one who never bought one and just uses a thin dowel with a mark on it? Well a mark, and 9mm case inside of a .40 case, inside of a .45 case as weight up top.

I use the metal strip taken out of an old windshield wiper.

Epoxied a spent primer on the bottom, and used a permanent marker to mark it in increments of 10 primers.

The extra weight helps the primers feed, I can see how many rounds are loaded or primers are left.

I never bought one, they all came with the machines. The powder check is the one that's an option.

I have never added weight to the rod. I have also never lit off a full tube of primers but if it ever does happen I figured I didn't want a "heavy" rod punching a hole in my roof, much less adding pressure to the area where I am at.

Mine works fine without any added weight.

Main thing is to keep on top of that battery, its easy to forget, and the battery can last for years, but even using a good alkaline battery it needs to be changed out from time to time, you don't want the battery to leak in there and mess up the battery contacts.

With a good fresh alkaline battery you should be able to go a couple of years before changing it out, I put a sticker on the battery to tell me how old it is. It can last a lot longer than that, but you are really risking battery leakage, it can do a lot of damage.