Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Media Separator

Putty

Looking for a media separator that will take the whole big dillon tumbler in one swig. Looking for the poor mans approach. Seems to me I saw a pic on here where a guy had a small plastic garbage barrel and a plastic screen/bucket on top...like a big sifter.

Sifters work, but are slower.. Easy to make with a section of hardware cloth, but IMO, rotary is where it's at.

The cheap & easy way would be to take a 5 gallon bucket and lid, stick a length of 1/2" water pipe through it end to end lengthwise and drill a ton of 1/4" holes in the bucket (lazier people will cut big holes and then line the bucket with hardware cloth). Find a big box or tub to rotate the thing over. Probably under $10 total even buying all-new.

Cmon' Sandoz, you ain't that cheap are ya' ? ;-0

I have the big Dillon tumbler and their big media separator and I can pour the whole shebang into the separator at once. Just ran over 1300 9x21 cases in one batch all the way through and there was room for more :-)

Shred is right, nothing beats a rotary basket for flinging off the grit quick. Just get the Dillon separator from Brian, it's only $57.95, sheeesh! Your time is worth more than the cost of the big Dillon separator. Remember, the parts are seldom the real cost in a DIY job ;-)