Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunshop Commandos

38superman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, didn't they used to have those saw tooth edged bullets back in the day when bowling pin shoots were all the rage? Pin grabbers I think they called them and I don't think the component bullet cost $1 a round to load.

Holy cow that stuff is expensive!

Vince

I overheard a salesman at a sporting goods chain store telling a customer that he just got back from a prairie dog shoot using a Remington Sendero chambered in 338 winchester mag and shot about 400 rounds. I couldnt hold my comments and explained to him that the Sendero was never offered in 338 WM. He insisted that it was and that I basically didnt know what I was talking about. I then told him if he could sit at a bench and fire 400 rounds from my Sendero 300 winmag, I would call remington and have them special make a sendero in 338 just for him. He just blew me off and acted like I was the idiot that didnt know about guns.

I overheard a salesman at a sporting goods chain store telling a customer that he just got back from a prairie dog shoot using a Remington Sendero chambered in 338 winchester mag and shot about 400 rounds. I couldnt hold my comments and explained to him that the Sendero was never offered in 338 WM. He insisted that it was and that I basically didnt know what I was talking about. I then told him if he could sit at a bench and fire 400 rounds from my Sendero 300 winmag, I would call remington and have them special make a sendero in 338 just for him. He just blew me off and acted like I was the idiot that didnt know about guns.

I ask myself every day, who's dumber, the guy in front of the counter or behind it. About half of the time it's the guy behind the counter; if for no other reason than the gun shop employee actually called me to pass on the retail customer's absurd question. Some of my customer's really get a kick out of my rolling on the floor laughing at their retail consumer's question. Thankfully, there is a mute button on my phone... ;)

Whenever possible, I check out everyone in the store as I enter, looking for those tell-tale callouses on their elbow.

It's a sure sign of the goof who's just hangs out, leaning on the counter, ready to swoop down with superior gun and ballistic knowledge, complete with amazing stories of when they were in Special Forces/SEALS/Delta/Force Recon/ or all of the above!

Hmmm...... I'm not sure a 338 Win Mag is enough gun for prairie dogs.

It wouldn't be humane to wound them.

I'm thinking 50 BMG.

Tls ;)

338 isn't but, 375 H&H is.. 50 is overkill.. :)

To answer the original topic quesiton: No! - lol

Whenever possible, I check out everyone in the store as I enter, looking for those tell-tale callouses on their elbow.

It's a sure sign of the goof who's just hangs out, leaning on the counter, ready to swoop down with superior gun and ballistic knowledge, complete with amazing stories of when they were in Special Forces/SEALS/Delta/Force Recon/ or all of the above!

May want to watch out for that. He may be a long range rifle guy who spends so much time prone that he built those calluses the hard way. ;)

What's with you guys? I go out and kill 5-600 field mice with my 600 Nitro all the time. :ph34r:

Edited by Bigbadaboom

May want to watch out for that. He may be a long range rifle guy who spends so much time prone that he built those calluses the hard way. ;)

What's with you guys? I go out and kill 5-600 field mice with my 600 Nitro all the time. :ph34r:

With one shot, no less! The first gets hit, the others of heart attacks! ;)

A friend of mine runs a gun shop locally. He told me a while back that a group of "brotha's" came in one day, and one of 'em said "I needs some SKS bullets". My friend reached up on the components shelf and picked up a box of .311" bullets and laid it on the counter. :D

We have a gun shop herre in town that has the snottiest salespeople.

They were all force recon or SEALS or Green Berets or eaglescouts. Everyone a commmando that likes to scream at the customer that just wants a "thingee" to hold his sling on with.

They just love to berate customers in their own smug way and then regale you of when they were in the teams.

I look but never buy there.

Read in Varmint Mag that a guy killed a dog at over 2000yds with a 338 Lapua....I guess it was just barely enough gun...but being that far away, he had time to get to the truck if he just wounded it and it charged... :lol:

They were all force recon or SEALS or Green Berets or eaglescouts. Everyone a commmando that likes to scream at the customer that just wants a "thingee" to hold his sling on with.

They just love to berate customers in their own smug way and then regale you of when they were in the teams.

Sounds to me like they probably never were....

I have a 'Gunshop Commando' watch list in our shop... I literally RUN AND HIDE when I see certain individuals coming into my pawnshop/gunshop.

here are a few things that caused these commandos to get on our black list

-The guy that talked to me for 20 minutes on how the Mosin Naguat was THE MOST ABSOLUTE ACCURATE rifle ever made... out of the box, issue ammo, will shoot a ragged hole at 500yards, blah blah blah. this guy comes in at least once a week, I refer to him as the Ace of spades in my deck of retail terrorists.

- The guy who tried to convince that the 357mag is one of the most powerful calibers ever and that his 'friend' knocked himself out with the hammer of a Ruger Blackhawk 357 when he fired it, cause the hammer IMBEDDED in his head.

there are many many more...

One of my favourite shops in town(cheap ammo) has a WWII vet that runs it. Old as dirt and you know some stupid commando comes in when he gets up out of his chair just to come listen to the story. Then he rebuts with his acount of D-day. When the person is sufficienlty humbled and leaves he looks around and says, "Oh I hope he didn't think I was talking about me? I was a supply clerk in England the whole time!" :)

Weren't ALL Gunstore Comandos SEAL's, Delta & CIA at one time or another??

I have a 'Gunshop Commando' watch list in our shop... I literally RUN AND HIDE when I see certain individuals coming into my pawnshop/gunshop.

here are a few things that caused these commandos to get on our black list

-The guy that talked to me for 20 minutes on how the Mosin Naguat was THE MOST ABSOLUTE ACCURATE rifle ever made... out of the box, issue ammo, will shoot a ragged hole at 500yards, blah blah blah. this guy comes in at least once a week, I refer to him as the Ace of spades in my deck of retail terrorists.

- The guy who tried to convince that the 357mag is one of the most powerful calibers ever and that his 'friend' knocked himself out with the hammer of a Ruger Blackhawk 357 when he fired it, cause the hammer IMBEDDED in his head.

there are many many more...

I would Hide if I were you too!!

Edited by ysued

You have got to be careful about what people say they can do..NEVER play another guys game...

I had a guy bet me I could not put 5 of 7 rounds on a paperplate at 200 yds, off he bench with my old comp .45...he gave me the first mag to get the distance...when I had done it and he paid the bet...he told me he would not have believed it if he had not seen it..told him if he had another 50, he could see it again...!!!!

Having watched certain rather remarkable feats of daring do in my life, I rarely will take someone up on a bet such as that one you won.

To wit:

I stacked the cinder blocks for a local karate instructor that was doing a demonstration. He broke 7- 4" thick, x 16" x 8" pancake blocks with one punch.

My father got tired of shooting my plates and intead decided to shoot the 1/2 rods that they sat on, at 25 yards, with iron sights and an 80 year old Winchester 94. I still have the rods. Sadly Dad is gone.

As a kid, shooting in our garage (we had a trap) we used to shoot at the flys that would occasionally land on the targets and hit them, regularly at 25 feet. Iron sights with a .22. Heck I can't even see a fly at 25 feet anymore!

I have witnessed a bullseye shooter make one hole targets at 25 yards rapid fire, time after time, with iron sights.

Regarding those that have done vs those that talk:

One thing I have learned is that those that did the real things in life that the Gun Store Commandos speak of, rarely spoeak of them and then allmost never except in the company of their brothers. Those tales are not generally shared with the rest of the world as we really can't put them into the proper perspective. We simply have no point of reference.

Jim Norman