Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunshop Commandos

38superman

I just visited a gunshop I have never been in before because I was looking for reloading supplies.

I didn't speak to anyone but couldn't help overhearing the conversations between the clerks and some of their customers.

I can never understand why so many people like to spend so much of their time discussing (in infinite detail) things which they clearly know only through hear say.

One gentleman (whom I judged to be about 3 steps below caveman on the evolutionary scale) was telling a customer all about the nuances of gunfighting in the old west as if he were there.

I had to work hard to resist asking him how many men he had killed and whether he notched the grips of his gun afterward.

Many of the people that work in this business are knowledgable professionals and when you find them it is like a breath of fresh air.

This, because there are so many that learned all they know by reading the label on a box of ammo.

Listening to these guys, it's no wonder that liberals, the media and much of the general public hold shooters in such low regard.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely, but then again, the same level of mis-informed devotee can be found in just about any sporting endeavor you may choose to undertake.The trick is finding the clumps of knowledgeable folk that walk the talk and avoiding the dogmatic hype types whenever possible.

When I raced bikes back in the seventies, I always looked for the folks that were FAST and hung out with them (on and off the track). "Fast" in any sport usually means "knows what they speak of well enough to listen to" ;-)

Working behind the counter waiting on a new "want to be " buyer who brings in a buddy who is an "expert" is one of the most frustrating things ever. The "expert" always knows more about everything than the sales person and is always willing to let everyone in the store know it.

"...finding the clumps of knowledgeable folk..."
I am soooooo lucky to have encountered and befriended an incredible number of 'clumps' in my area...! We have nice clumps here. But I hear tell that the cavemen are out there, too. Sometimes the cavemen enroll in our nearby defence classes and attempt to strut around like know-it-alls---only to go home after eight hours of professional attention, their tails jammed firmly between their legs..... <_<:rolleyes:

Just yesterday I was in a chain store looking at guns and listening to the clerk telling a guy who wanted a price on a Springfield loaded how Kimber is the only one that can make a 1911 worth buying any more. This guy was CLEARLY and expert due to his having on the store vest and claiming to own 3 1911 types. This went on for over 20 minutes and the poor guy just wanted a price!!! The clerk was unbelievable. His Colt took over $600 to get working, his Springfield wasn't worth fixing and his Kimber was guaranteed to shoot 1" groups at 50 yards from the factory. Kimber is also hand made, with custom gunsmiths making each one from hand fitted parts. They NEVER take a part out of a bin and put it in a gun, each part is flawlessly fitted after being hand selected for the matched frame and slide.......

I couldn't resist, asked the ol' boy what kind of internal parts are used......... FORGED and hand fitted ONLY says he, told him I didn't know CMC made forged and hand fitted parts. He looks at me kind of funny, so I ask him when the last time he was in the factory. This is a nobody counter clerk from WI mind you, and he said it had been less than a year. I say OH, OK, then you saw the new machining line my company put in making slides? Got another one going in making frames too. Uhhhh, well, uhhhhh. That's OK bud, I knew that before I asked. The customer looked at me and grinned, the clerk turned red and pissed off. Hopefully he won't lie through his teeth to push some sort of misguided agenda again but I doubt it.

Ordinarily I would have just walked, but I was in a bit of a pissy mood and the guy just earned it.

These asshats work both sides of the counter, and are equally annoying.

Yep, you hear them all. I was in a gun store recently, and the customer was asking about a 45. Since the small gun store didn't have one, but it did have some 9mm's, the guy behind the counter started telling the young customer that if he shot a 45, by the time he had emptied the "clip", the gun would be shooting straight up. You know how he showed it... he held his arm out and every time he "shot" it raised up a little until he was shooting straight overhead. What a dork. Also told the kid that if he shot a 45 very much, his wrist would hurt for a week afterward. I just bit my tounge and drifted on out the door. Somtimes we are our own worst enemy.

I was coming back from deer hunting a few years ago and stopped in a cafe to get come coffee..overheard two yokels talking about a wonderful, 25-06 he had..claimed to have killed a running coyote at 600 yds..one shot...it was those special loads old Larry made up..no holdover at all...just put theX hairs on him and pull the trigger...

all I could do to not tell him if he did not hold a dozen feet over my head, that he could shoot one time at me at 600 yds while I ran along the berm,....but if he missed I got to try a shot with my .300H&H...but common sense prevailed and I left without saying anything...LOL

Oh, man... I have NEVER had sore wrists (for a week) (or even a few minutes) after shooting ANY of my guns--let alone the two .45s that I routinely shoot. <_< God, I'm only 5'3", arthritic and 105# soaking wet and have fired all kinds of things--even Glocks--and never experienced discomfort of that kind. Mostly the discomfort of occasional gun lust, but that's different. ;)

Where do these nuts come from, anyway...?.... :wacko:

I can never understand why so many people like to spend so much of their time discussing (in infinite detail) things which they clearly know only through hear say.

Tls

I agree completely. We are lucky in AK we have one guy that knows his stuff. Just one. All the rest know how to handload a 375 H&H but couldn't talk to you about how to select good defensive firearms to save their lives.

This is why I appreciate the vendors and sponsors that support our sport.

We are fortunate to have the top notch smiths and gunbuilders, the vendors that come to the matches, shoot, then sell their wares in the tents.

These guys are competitors and know what we do and what we need to do it.

I always spent my dollars there first.

Tony

I was hired once to work at a gunstore specifically to sell pistols because of my experience :rolleyes:

However every time I sold a Colt 1991 with a handful of Wilson, S&A, Brown, etc. parts and a trip to our gunsmith to have a usable IPSC gun built. I was chastised by the owner for not pushing a Gold Cup, because thats what IPSC guys really needed out of the box....

This was the same yo-yo that tried to talk a father into buying a Sig P220 in .38 Super, because thats what all the IPSC guys used..nevermind that it was an aluminum frame, heel clip mag catch version....

This was the same yo-yo that tried to talk a father into buying a Sig P220 in .38 Super, because thats what all the IPSC guys used..nevermind that it was an aluminum frame, heel clip mag catch version....

I heard that is the most winningest gun in the Steel challenge!! :D

Edited by theknightoflight

Also told the kid that if he shot a 45 very much, his wrist would hurt for a week afterward.

Wow, then I have no clue how my wife manages to shoot L10 in .45 every Thursday in practice and then on the weekend at a match! <_<;)B)

I hate to rain on that parade but "our nations best warriors" (the military) are prohibited by treaty from having expanding bullets.

Such ammo might be permissible for some law enforcement agencies but I doubt many of them get terrorists in their sights very often.

More often it's some morally-challenged trustee of modern chemistry that thinks it's easier to steal for a living that work for it.

Hard to see how you could promote this as an anti-terrorist round.

Tls