Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro 1000 / Adding A Lee Fcd

Hey guys,

I have a Pro 1000.

I use station one to knock the primers out of the old cases. Then Hand prime. (Federal 150's)

Remove station one and load in the tubes, cycle around to station two and load powder.

On station three I seat the bullet and crimp currently.

I am looking for the right way to set up the machine to use the FCD.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Hey guys,

I have a Pro 1000.

I use station one to knock the primers out of the old cases. Then Hand prime. (Federal 150's)

Remove station one and load in the tubes, cycle around to station two and load powder.

On station three I seat the bullet and crimp currently.

I am looking for the right way to set up the machine to use the FCD.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Since you have broken the process into two parts any way, I reckon your best plan is to get a spare die plate.

In one die plate put just the sizer deprimer so you can fill up the tubes and swiftly size and deprime and let them travel around in the shellplate and into the bin.

When you have enough sized and deprimed you can then hand prime them as you already do.

Then take the other dieplate and set it up with the powder drop in the first stage, the seater die in stage 2 and the fcd in stage three and thereby you will end up with fcd'd rounds for no more effort than you are currently expending.

al

Good ideas guys,

I like the idea of the two die plates, it seems like it would speed up the process I am already going with.

As far as why I want to try it. To get a more consistant crimp and size. I have been noticing some cases that are bulged occasionally. I don't need to have to keep checking to see if they will fit, if the FCD work properly.

Hopefully I will see a little better consistancy on chrono if I can stablilize the crimp. Don't know if this is really something that will happen, but for $10 I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

Jim

Al,

Question - I thought the extra plate idea is a good one.

Any suggestions though about how to connect the chain for the powder measure? Would there be any other issues with rotating the works around a third of a turn?

I think it could really turn out to be a good solution to a couple of issues.

Jim

Al,

Question - I thought the extra plate idea is a good one.

Any suggestions though about how to connect the chain for the powder measure? Would there be any other issues with rotating the works around a third of a turn?

I think it could really turn out to be a good solution to a couple of issues.

Jim

I have never done it so I can't speak with authority, but as far as I can remember there should be no issues as you will not be priming.

As for the powder measure you could use the spring return one or a gravity return one like rcbs does.

I am sure you could find a way to fit an eye to the shell plate carrier at position one to handle the chain.

Don't forget to leave a length of chain trailing so that it will always come back through the eye and not drop over.

al

Load up the case feeder and Resize/deprime only. Tumble after that if you want and then hand prime.

Load up the tubes and put the powder measure in the first station, seating in the second station, and FCD at the third station.

The machine is as close to reliable as it's ever going to get once you take priming out of the equation.

I only loaded 50 round on mine, then just used it to run SDB loaded ammo through the FCD. Also used it to run cases through a "U" die. The 650 I have now is like being in heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

I am running a Lee 1000 myself and here is what I do:

With one tool head I run all my brass through and size/deprime ONLY.

Clean the primer pockets (usually only for any major match)

Hand prime my cleaned brass (Lee single stage press set up with their auto primer set up)

Replace the tool head with a second one with Powder die on first stage (with spring auto return instead of the chain), seating on station two which is nomrally the prime/powder drop die then Factory Crimp Die on station three.

Joe W.

Archived