Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Front Grip Screw On Sti

EricW

Somewhere along the line, my entire front grip screws, bushing and all departed my STI. Will I trash my pistol without them if I shoot a match? I've got them on order, but USPS is taking a little longer than normal.

Anybody have an idea offhand what the correct OD of the bushing is supposed to be? I'm thinking about lathing down a brass rod and just peening the sucker in there for the time being.

This is driving me nuts! Either I have a gun and bad ammo. Or a gun, ammo, and no time. Or a gun, ammo, time, and no range. Now...I've got good ammo, some time, a range, and 97% of a gun.

:wacko:

Looks like I'd better get my "A" gun on order with Brazos... :wub:

Edited by EricW

Just in case, I found a brass screw that fit just right. I cut it down to the right length then used a dremel saw to make a screwdriver slot. It screws in just perfect!

Of course, it has all the sex appeal of a primer-job Camaro, but I think I almost like it better than the 3 piece bushing.

:lol:

The diameter of the bushing is 0.157. I would not shoot it without the bushing in place. It will allow the grip to flex and could cause the grip to crack. Anything else that holds the grip and keeps it from flexing would be ok for a temporary fix.

Edited by Brazos Custom

I've seen a lot of guns test-fired up to a hundred rounds or so without the front bushing, to no obvious ill effect, but like Bob says, they probably wouldn't put it there if it wasn't important.

Slop some rubber cement on there and cover it in duct tape.

Like a bleached blond with too much makeup and too little clothes in the front seat of your primer pimped Camaro..... Dont always look like much, but it always gets you where you wanna be.

• 4 months later...

I picked up an Edge in November and lost the little screw the firt time I went to the range. I called STI and they promised to send a new one, and when I specifically asked if it would damage/weaken the gun to fire it while I waited, they said "No." I finally broke down and picked a screw set up from Midway as I am still waiting on the ones STI said they would send...