Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 Practice Rifle Problem?

Malak

I am currently building a 10/22 as a solution to the ever rising price of 223. This rifle will only be used for practice, so cosmetics are not key, just fuctionality.

I got a basic 10/22 in my pawnshop for next to nuthin' , bought a butler creek one inch black bull barrel, and the butler creek hotlip mags and hot lip loader. I very patiently hogged out the wood stock so that it will fit the bull barrel, and hopefully float. Unfortunantely, the reciever now has a little play in it. The original desing uses a single screw and a barrelband to keep everything in tension. I was wondering if there is a DIY type solution for fixing the sagging reciver in the stock. I know that if all else fails I can buy a Rhineland or a houge, but trying to avoid that.

PS, those hotlip mags with the loader are really really fast, 25 round loaded in the mag in like 15-20 seconds, and its not a pain in the thumb ;)

With the standard birch stock you have two choices:

Either go back to the stock barrel that the action and stock can support

Or bed the action and HEAVY barrel into the stock so that it doesn't sag.

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com

A 10-22 is a diferent animal than a reg rifle. #1 thing is to have some good fit at the back fo the action so that the bolt hitting the rear does not break the Alum recever

The Barell band is worthless and should be thrown away. = the barrel is held to the action with two bolts that wedge the barrel in = make shurr that the bolt preshur is even on each bolt= very imprtant. The one bolt that holds the front of the action to the stock is all that is needed.

On a top line 10-22 you want to Bed the barrel and float the action. = oposite to reg rifles.

just make shurr the hook that grabs the triger goop in the stock is cut out befor youbed the barrel.

= See Sportsman's Team Challenge guns for the best set up.

<_< I may not know nothing though ;)

If you realy wan tot do it good I could send you some photos

Jamie

Absolutely right!! Bed the barrel channel!! Clarks even used to make a spring tension plunger to push UP on the barrel! DON'T over tension the barrel holding bolts!!! A little past finger tight does it! KURTM

Check out the link in my post. Tons of pics. what most guys do is either just bed about two inches of barrel or bed the front of the action (where the action screw is) and another two inches of barrel.

thanks for that link.. it helped.

Being the slight cheap skate that I am, I did not really want to buy a $25 bedding kit, or a $50 houge stock, so I went with the crap I had in the Garage...

I went with the Super-Ghetto 'plumbers putty' two part epoxy (the kind that comes in tube that you just smash together until its a consistant grey), and bedded approximately 3 maybe 3.5 inches of the barrel with the putty. wrapped a piece of scotch tape around the barrel so that I would not glue the barrel into the stock.... and BINGO, no sagging, no jiggling, and I bet it will shot an inch and half at a hundred now...

once again, thanks guys :D

thanks for that link.. it helped.

Being the slight cheap skate that I am, I did not really want to buy a $25 bedding kit, or a $50 houge stock, so I went with the crap I had in the Garage...

I went with the Super-Ghetto 'plumbers putty' two part epoxy (the kind that comes in tube that you just smash together until its a consistant grey), and bedded approximately 3 maybe 3.5 inches of the barrel with the putty. wrapped a piece of scotch tape around the barrel so that I would not glue the barrel into the stock.... and BINGO, no sagging, no jiggling, and I bet it will shot an inch and half at a hundred now...

once again, thanks guys :D

Just leaving off the barrel band in the front will get you a 1/2" better groups. The stuff you used is fine, as the 22 does not have the recoil the big guns have. You could tape a computer mouse pad tothe stock for your cheek =if you are using a scope. If you get the blue or white electrical tape it will not look so chezzy. Do not cleen the 'Crown' of the muzzel and look for a nice star that forms,= the groups will get better for several hundred rounds like 3,000 + I have not put a brush in my barrel in 25,000 + just a pull rope.

JF

The 'star' on the front of the 10/22 muzzle was like a badge of honor when we where kids... it should all the other kids at the range/ranch that we did not just walk around with our 10/22, but we acutally shot it :rolleyes: aahh, those were the simple days, when burning a brick of federal 22's was the most baller thing you could do...