Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

August 2006 (Answer Key Added)

Duane Thomas

Ten quotes, each with its own bonus point question, thus maximum possible score is 20 points.

Movie Trivia Quote rules: Give the name of the actor/actress and the movie. If you want to be really cool you can also give the year, but that's not necessary to have a "got" answer. No building on someone else's answers; once a person has a "got" answer, it belongs to them. No playing, if you've already won a book. No using an Internet movie quote data base to find the answers, on your honor; breaking this rule will result in disqualification.

1. A man making a speech to a large crowd.

I'm sorry. But I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible - Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that.

BONUS POINT: What is the symbol called on the armband worn in this scene?

2. Two women talking.

Woman #1: There's nothing left to believe in. Nothing!

Woman #2: Nothing, my dear? Oh, now you don't mean that.

Woman #1: Oh, but I do!

Woman #2: Nonsense, child. If you'd lost all your faith, I couldn't be here. And here I am!

BONUS POINT: What are the first four words spoken in this movie?

3. A young man and woman saying goodbye standing next to a car.

Woman: I guess we surprised everybody.

Man: I guess we did. I'll never be sorry.

Woman: Neither will I.

BONUS POINT: What is the last song that plays as the credits roll? Name the song and singer.

4. A man talking to a younger man.

That phone call I got, it comes from outside high walls and fancy gates. It comes from a place you know about maybe from the movies. But I come from out there, and what everybody out there knows, everybody lies. Cops lie, newspapers lie. Your parents lie. The one thing you can count on: word on the street. Yeah, that's solid.

BONUS POINT: Who's the man? First and last name.

5. A man and woman breaking up.

Man: Anna, look....I'm a fairly level-headed bloke, not often in and out of love. But....can I just say no to your kind request, and leave it at that?

Woman: Yes. Fine. Of course. I -- of course. Well, I'll just be going then. It was nice to see you --

Man: The thing is, with you I'm in real....danger. It seems like a perfect situation. Apart from that foul temper of yours. But my relatively inexperienced heart would, I fear, not recover if I was once again cast aside - as I would absolutely expect to be. There are just too many pictures of you, too many films. You'd go and I'd be....well, buggered, basically.

Woman: That really is real no, isn't it.

BONUS POINT: For what magazine does the main character pretend to write?

6. A woman trying to seduce a man.

Woman: I really wish you weren't wearing that uniform right now.

Man: It's got nothing to do with the uniform, believe me.

Woman: Well, what is it, your vow? You took a vow to be dead from the neck down? Come on, I've seen the way you look at me. You know the way that I feel about you. Come on, I'm not blind. It's okay. It's okay.

Man: No!

Woman: Why? Because I - I painted the wall out? Is that it? So now I'm no use to you, right? Is that it? Answer me! You are so proud of your holy abstinence. Like touching a woman would kill you. Women are dirty little complications. That's why you became a priest. It has nothing to do with your convenient little stories. Are you so proud of your church of virgins and eunuchs? How's your faith these days, Father? How's your faith?

BONUS POINT: "Do you have any trouble with a significant other?" "Yes." "And that is?" What's the next line?

7. Two men talking about the woman one of them is about to marry.

Man #1: She is not beautiful.

Man #2: She is not meant to be beautiful. She is meant to be kind, true, and young enough to bear children.

Man #1: But what about love, Luis? Doesn't love come into this equation at all?

Man #2: Love is not for me, Alan. Love is for those people who believe in it.

BONUS POINT: What is the first sentence spoken in this movie?

8. Two men talking over a phone.

Man #1: I never had binoculars. I have a highly magnified telescopic image of you. Now what kind of device has a telescopic sight mounted on it?

Man #2: What, you mean like a rifle?

Man #1: A .30 caliber, bolt action 700 with a carbon-one modification and a state-of-the-art Hensoldt tactical scope. And it's staring straight at you.

Man #2: Yeah, how's my f*#king hair?

Man #1: At this range the exit wound ought to be about the size of a small tangerine.

Man #2: Nice try, pal. Go to hell.

<sound over phone of rifle bolt operating, Man #2 is terrified>

Man #1: Now, doesn't that just torque your jaws? I love that. You know, like in the movies, just as the good guy is about to kill the bad guy. He cocks his gun. Now why didn't he have it cocked? Because that sound is scary. It's cool, isn't it.

BONUS POINT: How many people does Man #1 kill on the day this movie takes place, and what are their jobs?

9. Two men talking.

Man #1: I wonder what was going through Custer's mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter.

Man #2: Sir, Custer was a pussy.

BONUS POINT: Finish these sentences: "We who have seen war...." "In the silence of the night...."

10. A woman talking to her son.

I'm saying that....sometimes you love. And you learn. And you move on. And that's okay.

BONUS POINT: A 3-part question. At one point in the movie, the two main characters have dinner in front of a painting. (1) Name the painter (first and last name). (2) In what year was it painted? (3) This painting is untitled, but by what name is it commonly known? And yes, all this information is in there somewhere.

Cripes .. talk about obscure quotes man ...

The only one I have a guess at is 8, and without checking, I'm guessing Phonebooth, Kiefer Sutherland and Colin Farrel.

I am to the point that I have given up on Duanes quotes...Waaaaaaaaaaay past my attention span when I see the occasional movie.. Kind of takes all the fun out of it to watch it 17 times to see what picture is on the wall behind the actors...and then ID the artist and the name of the painting....Jeeez! :lol::D:P

Number 9 is Mel Gibson speaking to Sam Eliot in We were soldiers.

AikiDale has one correct.

5. Noting Hill... Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant

sandman sv has one correct.

The only one I have a guess at is 8, and without checking, I'm guessing Phonebooth, Kiefer Sutherland and Colin Farrel.

Vlad has one correct.

I am to the point that I have given up on Duanes quotes...Waaaaaaaaaaay past my attention span when I see the occasional movie.. Kind of takes all the fun out of it to watch it 17 times to see what picture is on the wall behind the actors...and then ID the artist and the name of the painting....Jeeez!

If it was easy, anyone could do it. :D

#1 - Charlie Chaplin - The Great Dictator

#4 - Christopher Walken - Suicide Kings

smokshwn has two correct.

#2 - Cinderella - Cinderella

There are two people talking here.

The bonus for 8 is one and he was a pimp.

Nope.

#9 We Were Soldiers Once- Sam Elliot

Already answered.

#1 - Charlie Chaplin - The Great Dictator

#4 - Christopher Walken - Suicide Kings

smokshwn has two correct.

#2 - Cinderella - Cinderella

There are two people talking here.

The bonus for 8 is one and he was a pimp.

Nope.

#9 We Were Soldiers Once- Sam Elliot

Already answered.

Duane,

I think you have given smokshwn crdit for my answers :D

#2 - Woman 1 -Fairy godmother - Woman 2 - Cindrella - Cinderella

Duane,

I think you have given smokshwn crdit for my answers

Duane,

I only answered the bonus for #8 and then the main question from #9

Oops.

#2 - Woman 1 -Fairy godmother - Woman 2 - Cindrella - Cinderella

You are correct. (Well, actually it's Woman #1 is Cinderella, Woman #2 is the Fairy Godmother, but even I'm not that picky.)

Bonus #1 - double cross, IIRC

You are correct: "the sign of the double cross".

Bonus #2 - Once upon a time ( I'm guessing here folks but it kinda makes sense...)

You are correct.

#3 Dirty Dancing - Patrick Swazy and Jennifer Gray

You are correct.

song - She's like the Wind sung by Swazy

Nope.

By the way, Trisha, I love your signature.

To sum up, currently warpspeed is out in front with five correct. AikiDale, sandman sv, Vlad and Trisha Lowry all have one apiece.

11 answers still up for grabs: #s 6, 7, 10, and the Bonus Points for #s 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10.

6 - Stygmata: Patricia Arquete's character to Gabriel Byrne.

8 - Kiefer and Collin. Kiefer killed two: the pimp and the pizza delivery guy.

9 - We Were Soldiers. Col. Moore (Mel) to MSgt Plumley (Sam).

Edited by Nemo

6 - Stygmata: Patricia Arquete's character to Gabriel Byrne.

8 - Kiefer and Collin. Kiefer killed two: the pimp and the pizza delivery guy.

Nemo has two correct.

9 - We Were Soldiers. Col. Moore (Mel) to MSgt Plumley (Sam).

Aleady answered, unfortunately. BTW, Plumley was a Sergeant Major, not a Master Sergeant.

Pedantic Thomas ;)

Currently warpspeed is still out in front with five correct. Nemo has two. AikiDale, sandman sv, Vlad, Trisha Lowry and Nik Habict all have one apiece.

Eight answers still up for grabs: #s 7 & 10, and the Bonus Points for #s 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 & 10.

#7: "Original Sin"

Bonus for #7: I think it's something like "You can't walk away from love".

Bonus for #4: Carlo Bartolucci ??

Bonus for #9 (needed to dig out the DVD for this one): "We who have seen war will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night we will always hear the screams. So this is our story. For we were soldiers once, and young."

Edited by Mapzter

#7: "Original Sin"

Correct.

Bonus for #7: I think it's something like "You can't walk away from love".

Close enough.

Bonus for #4: Carlo Bartolucci ??

Nope.

Bonus for #9 (needed to dig out the DVD for this one): "We who have seen war will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night we will always hear the screams. So this is our story. For we were soldiers once, and young."

I was really just looking for the ending to the first two sentences, but you certainly don't lose points for giving more information. :)

Mapzter has three correct.

So: warpspeed is still in front with five correct. Mapzter has three. Nemo has two. AikiDale, sandman sv, Vlad, Trisha Lowry and Nik Habict all have one apiece.

Five answers still up for grabs: #10, and the Bonus Points for #s 3, 4, 6 & 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's this month's answer key:

1. A man making a speech to a large crowd.

I'm sorry. But I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible - Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that.

ANSWER: Charlie Chaplin, The Great Dictator, 1940.

BONUS POINT: What is the symbol called on the armband worn in this scene?

ANSWER: The sign of the double cross.

2. Two women talking.

Woman #1: There's nothing left to believe in. Nothing!

Woman #2: Nothing, my dear? Oh, now you don't mean that.

Woman #1: Oh, but I do!

Woman #2: Nonsense, child. If you'd lost all your faith, I couldn't be here. And here I am!

ANSWER: Cinderella & The Fairy Godmother, Cinderella, 1950.

BONUS POINT: What are the first four words spoken in this movie?

ANSWER: Once upon a time.

3. A young man and woman saying goodbye standing next to a car.

Woman: I guess we surprised everybody.

Man: I guess we did. I'll never be sorry.

Woman: Neither will I.

ANSWER: Jennifer Grey & Patrick Swayze, Dirty Dancing, 1987.

BONUS POINT: What is the last song that plays as the credits roll? Name the song and singer.

ANSWER: "Yes" by Merry Clayton.

4. A man talking to a younger man.

That phone call I got, it comes from outside high walls and fancy gates. It comes from a place you know about maybe from the movies. But I come from out there, and what everybody out there knows, everybody lies. Cops lie, newspapers lie. Your parents lie. The one thing you can count on: word on the street. Yeah, that's solid.

ANSWER: Christopher Walken, Suicide Kings, 1997.

BONUS POINT: Who's the man? First and last name.

ANSWER: Ira Reder.

5. A man and woman breaking up.

Man: Anna, look....I'm a fairly level-headed bloke, not often in and out of love. But....can I just say no to your kind request, and leave it at that?

Woman: Yes. Fine. Of course. I -- of course. Well, I'll just be going then. It was nice to see you.

Man: The thing is, with you I'm in real....danger. It seems like a perfect situation. Apart from that foul temper of yours. But my relatively inexperienced heart would, I fear, not recover if I was once again cast aside - as I would absolutely expect to be. There are just too many pictures of you, too many films. You'd go and I'd be....well, buggered, basically.

Woman: That really is real no, isn't it.

ANSWER: Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts, Notting Hill, 1999.

BONUS POINT: For what magazine does the main character pretend to write?

ANSWER: Horse & Hound.

6. A woman trying to seduce a man.

Woman: I really wish you weren't wearing that uniform right now.

Man: It's got nothing to do with the uniform, believe me.

Woman: Well, what is it, your vow? You took a vow to be dead from the neck down? Come on, I've seen the way you look at me. You know the way that I feel about you. Come on, I'm not blind. It's okay. It's okay.

Man: No!

Woman: Why? Because I - I painted the wall out? Is that it? So now I'm no use to you, right? Is that it? Answer me! You are so proud of your holy abstinence. Like touching a woman would kill you. Women are dirty little complications. That's why you became a priest. It has nothing to do with your convenient little stories. Are you so proud of your church of virgins and eunuchs? How's your faith these days, Father? How's your faith?

ANSWER: Patricia Arquette & Gabrielle Byrne, Stigmata, 1999.

BONUS POINT: "Do you have any trouble with a significant other?" "Yes." "And that is?" What's the next line?

ANSWER: "I'm not very significant."

7. Two men talking about the woman one of them is about to marry.

Man #1: She is not beautiful.

Man #2: She is not meant to be beautiful. She is meant to be kind, true, and young enough to bear children.

Man #1: But what about love, Luis? Doesn't love come into this equation at all?

Man #2: Love is not for me, Alan. Love is for those people who believe in it.

ANSWER: Jack Thompson & Antonio Banderas, Original Sin, 2000.

BONUS POINT: What is the first sentence spoken in this movie?

ANSWER: "You cannot walk away from love."

8. Two men talking over a phone.

Man #1: I never had binoculars. I have a highly magnified telescopic image of you. Now what kind of device has a telescopic sight mounted on it?

Man #2: What, you mean like a rifle?

Man #1: A .30 caliber, bolt action 700 with a carbon-one modification and a state-of-the-art Hensoldt tactical scope. And it's staring straight at you.

Man #2: Yeah, how's my f*#king hair?

Man #1: At this range the exit wound ought to be about the size of a small tangerine.

Man #2: Nice try, pal. Go to hell.

<sound over phone of rifle bolt operating, Man #2 is terrified>

Man #1: Now, doesn't that just torque your jaws? I love that. You know, like in the movies, just as the good guy is about to kill the bad guy. He cocks his gun. Now why didn't he have it cocked? Because that sound is scary. It's cool, isn't it.

ANSWER: Kiefer Sutherland & Colin Farrell, Phone Booth, 2002.

BONUS POINT: How many people does Man #1 kill on the day this movie takes place, and what are their jobs?

ANSWER: Two. A pimp and a pizza delivery guy.

9. Two men talking.

Man #1: I wonder what was going through Custer's mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter.

Man #2: Sir, Custer was a pussy.

ANSWER: Mel Gibson & Sam Elliot, We Were Soliders, 2002.

BONUS POINT: Finish these sentences: "We who have seen war...." "In the silence of the night...."

ANSWER: "....will never stop seeing it." "....we will always hear the screams."

10. A woman talking to her son.

I'm saying that....sometimes you love. And you learn. And you move on. And that's okay.

ANSWER: Meryl Streep, Prime, 2005.

BONUS POINT: A 3-part question. At one point in the movie, the two main characters have dinner in front of a painting. (1) Name the painter (first and last name). (2) In what year was it painted? (3) This painting is untitled, but by what name is it commonly known? And yes, all this information is in there somewhere.

ANSWER: Mark Rothko. 1954. "No. 203".