Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S V Sighttracker

eric nielsen

Since this question is sorta related, I didn't want to start a new thread. Does anybody know where an individual could buy a sight tracker barrel? Neither SV nor Scheumann's web site list it, and an internet search turned up no results.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After quick search on www.schuemann.com under "barrel dealers", Wil lists only himself. You can email him at wil@schuemann.com.

I talked with Brandon Strayer at area 5 and he said they are now having their own barrels built. I see they also make a sight tracker barrel that replaces the original Schumann so you may want to give SVI a call for a replacement barrell.

"Those other configurations don't really carry over to his setup. For example, you just can't weld an extended dust cover onto a Para or Caspian framed gun just because the STI's/SV's have done so. You still have to meet the 500 guns or components criteria with that configuration"

At last years Limited and/or L-10 Nationals Fabien Scott from South Africa used a Para with a welded on extended dustcover. He wasn't bumped into Open so I guess that's legal now.

Edited by Mike Dame

I talked with Brandon Strayer at area 5 and he said they are now having their own barrels built. I see they also make a sight tracker barrel that replaces the original Schumann so you may want to give SVI a call for a replacement barrell.

As I understand it, from reading other stuff on this forum, Wil helped Sandy set up a barrel manufacturing setup so that SV could make their own barrels, and reduce pressure on Wil's shop. They would presumably be licensed Schuemann barrels - actually, they'd have to be either way, cause Wil has the hybrid rib style barrels pretty well locked down, patent wise...

I have a new sightracker being assembled at SV right now. The barrel on mine was made in the SV shop on the new machine that Sandy bought. For those interested, Sandy actually tweaked the software for the machine and his new barrels are coming out even more accurate than the Schuemmans.

The only bullets I have shot from my SV are MG, Zero, and Precision and Precision delta, so my knowledge on some of the different available bullets is limited. For the amount we shoot here in Dallas I am going to stick to the precisions at $60 per 1000. None of the bullets I listed above have ever given me a problem from my SV with an AET barrel. Sandy did tell me that he was going to stop fluting the chambers on the new barrels. He said that he didnt see the difference in performance to be worthwhile.

Don't want to drift the topic any more....but I will (just for FYI purposes) I used Barry bullets out of my Schumann AET barrel and it DOES NOT LIKE THEM. They keyholed bigtime, even at short ranges.

SGTSVI, the precisions you are talking about,,,you have a link to them?

Thanks.

Steven,

Eric (Dirtypool40) has a long thread about his experience with Berry's Bullets and his AET barrel. He measured them and they were .399-.400 diameter. When he got some that were closer to .402 they worked much better. I think they called those "re-strikes" or "double-strikes" and they were sized larger.

Click here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=29699&hl=

Edited by L9X25

Don't want to drift the topic any more....but I will (just for FYI purposes) I used Barry bullets out of my Schumann AET barrel and it DOES NOT LIKE THEM. They keyholed bigtime, even at short ranges.

Thanks.

TRP, Look here, Dave at Precision is a great guy.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Doug

Oh sure! I know those guys. I purchased some black bullets for my single stack 45. They do make very good products. I'll have to give the 185gr black bullets a try. I wasn't sure if it was "the" precision bullets that was talked about or not...

Thanks for the info!

Thanks.

TRP, Look here, Dave at Precision is a great guy.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Doug

I wouldn't blame the barrel if your gun doesn't shoot Berry's bullets or any plated bullets for that matter. My favorite .40 is a 5" SV that Benny did a "fat free" job on (not a 6"). It's snappy! It has 110,000+ rounds on it (2nd Schuemann barrel) with the second barrel slightly over 50,000. It won't shoot any plated bullet but still runs fine on any good copper or brass jacketed bullet. It shot David Long's bullets well for the first 40,000 or so but now the rifling is such that it keyholes with anything except the harder jacketed bulets. Call me strange but I like impulse of the snappy gun. I've shot the sight tracker and it's good but if you shoot 200,000 rounds over 10 years in a short dust cover classic slide gun, you'll have to get used to that "other language". Shoot it enough and you'll get used it. SV has a number of options to change the impulse. Get a titanium or aluminum frame with variable slide weights and a sight tracker. There are a bunch of options which might be great!

I'll get a sighttracker one of these days.

I had a new Schuemann barrel keyhole with Berry's plated bullets!

Mick

Oh by the way....I got to shoot an SV IMM gun in .45 with iron sights. The front sight was mounted on the comp way out on the end. I like the way the gun behaved although a .45 with a bunch of holes and a comp is pretty soft even with factory ammo!!!

Just an update on my new sightracker. I shot it for the first time at a match yesterday and it ran flawlessly during the entire match. Not bad for coming right out of the shop and not having to tweak anything. I really liked the way the front sight came back on target. It did feel quicker to reaquire a sight picture after each shot. The slide also felt a little faster, which makes sense because of the steel that would normally be on the top being gone. I let several people shoot the gun and they had the same feeling as I did. Everyone liked the quicker impulse and the way the front sight tracked. One of the guys is now thinking about buying one after shooting mine. Anyone in the Dallas area that is curious about the sightracker is welcome to shoot mine in order to help with your decision. I will have it at Texas Limited for those planning on being there.