Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just got an LCD monitor (GEM, $89 after rebates, 17") to do a dual-monitor setup. I didn't even have it outof the box when my old 21" monitor dies. So I hook up the 17, figuring it will be OK until I can get another 21 incher, and whoa!

The new LCD is so much better than the old 21" screen, why didn't I do this before?

A CRT can be as bright as a backlit LCD depending on how much phosphor is still left on the tube ;-)

LCD's will also get dim with age too so don't feel like it's a total panacea.

The big difference from CRT to LCD is how tack sharp things are on a good LCD display WHEN the display is driven at it's native pitch. LCD's look great at the EXACT pixel pitch they are designed to display, but can be soft as shjt if you force a different display pitch onto them. CRT's look the same at any pitch they can handle, but are generally softer to look at than any LCD driven at native pitch.

LCD's can be a PITA to color correct unless they are a better grade display. Among the mid-price models, the Samsung and ViewSonic have the best color accuracy for an LCD IME. I still prefer CRT's for real color saturation and color accuracy as long as they are a good grade to begin with.

The Apples carry a great reputation for color (and color management) in the digital photography world and pre-press world, as well... ;) They're somewhat pricey, of course, but are compared favorably to very high dollar high-end CRTs, so....

The Apples carry a great reputation for color (and color management) in the digital photography world and pre-press world, as well... ;) They're somewhat pricey, of course, but are compared favorably to very high dollar high-end CRTs, so....

In the prepress realm we're using the Apple displays at the office and the ViewSonics at home. The Apples are great and the ViewSonics are affordable.

Our Apple Displays

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

I got a 19" ViewSonic LCD Saturday and am very happy with it. SO much better than my old 17" monitor.

I finally replaced my old 450 pentium at home that I never used (Just used my work laptop).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they sent the wrong one, and in the shuffle to get the right one, they dropped the price. So I got two. I now have a pair of LCD monitors on my desk. Why didn't someone tell me about this before? I can have the text file on one screen, and the photo file on another, and look and type captions at the same time.

Or root through the internet while I have the text file up, looking for the damend address of the maker I'm writing about, to add to the text.

I just keep getting these white rabbit messages.....

Now you just need a 3 headed video card and a 3rd display to make it truly charmed.

Dual display systems are awesome for things like video editing and desktop publishing where a large canvas for the work can be put on one screen while the tool palettes and other windows are kept on the second display.

Welcome to the 21st century. Have you tried tabbed browsing yet?

What do I need to do to make this a reality in Wintel Land? Dual video cards? Or are video cards equipped with dual outputs now? What's a good, base PC to start with? I'm seriously tempted to get a long-range WAN receiver and join the 21st century before it becomes the 22nd.

If a video card has dual ports (typically one VGA and one DVI nowadays) and it has at least 64MB VRAM, it will "Usually" have the capability to drive two desktops of real estate.

In the Displays control panel, you will find the option to split the display outs, or mirror them. You will also find the controls for selecting which output is the primary desktop and gets the menus and which side of the main screen the cursor exits to access the secondary screen.

Once dual display is enabled, just drag stuff off one side of the main display to push it onto the secondary desktop.

If your video card is underpowered for the task, you may wind up with one of the displays not being able to go fullscreen. In this case, lowering the pixel pitch on the other screen may allow full screen on both outputs, or you may need a video card upgrade.

Laptops can also do a dual display if their video card is up to it. Patch up a second display to the VGA port and hold the function key down while tapping F5 (sometimes F7). The second time you hit F5 the second display should snap on along with the built-in LCD display. Use the Displays control panel to chhange the mode from mirroring to dual desktops.

Once dual display is enabled, just drag stuff off one side of the main display to push it onto the secondary desktop.

I can't think of the make of my dual monitor vid card right now (I'm on my laptop in a hotel now) but the software allows me to "throw" stuff to the other monitor. I click and hold the box and flick my mouse and let go and stuff will go crusing over to my second monitor. :D

In the prepress realm we're using the Apple displays at the office and the ViewSonics at home. The Apples are great and the ViewSonics are affordable.

Our Apple Displays

-Chet

Are you going to tell me that yor desk at work looks like that? I have to move something to have a place to set a cup down on my desk.

My card has two ports, one different. (I guess the VGA/DVI thing?) my tech prole just handed me an adapter to make the connection for the second monitor.

I told him when I had him build the system that I did lots of digital photography and wanted "a video card with a shitload of ram on it" to keep my system from choking on photo files.

I apparently worked, the system hums along and the two monitors are very happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Our Apple Displays

-Chet

Are you going to tell me that yor desk at work looks like that? I have to move something to have a place to set a cup down on my desk.

Actually, that's Beth's desktop. I still have a single monitor at work, but I'm ordering a second one tonight. B)

However, here's my home office setup (the ViewSonics are to the right outside of the photo):

NewOffice07.jpg

-Chet