Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Tall And Short Of It And How Would You Handle It?

ZoomZoom

OK. I'll confess.... :D

At the GA State match in 2004 I found a sweet spot that was offset vertically on stage 9. Instead of moving to either side at the start signal to start engaging targets, I shot over the top of a sea of no-shoots and engaged the first two arrays without moving. :)

I can't think of too many times something like that has happened in the 2 years since.

Regarding the great advantage short folks have going prone, kneeling and running through Cooper tunnels, I don't know where you are, but I haven't seen a Cooper tunnel yet in my neck the woods, nor have I seen a stage requiring going prone. Kneeling has happened a couple of times; squatting is a little more common.

Do the rest of y'all really have that many stages requiring going prone or running through a Cooper tunnel?

Mark and Jake are correct -- going prone isn't an advantage when the shooter is shorter. It's hard on everyone.

But the next time one of these shorter shooters gets to a port and *doesn't* have to squat, and perhaps notices that the taller shooters *do* have to, they should be sure to say Thank You to the lilttle fellow who setup that particular CoF.

what torques me off, is showing up to help set up the stages the day prior to the match and they make changes based on how I would shoot the stage. I'm only 6'3" but I'm the tallest at my club. Most of our stage designers are in the 5"5 tp 5'10" range.

After we set the stage, we will go though it to make sure it works. When I see something that the shorter folks don't, they modify the stage design so I don't have an advantage.

But they NEVER raise a port for me.

There are very low ports that everyone must use.

There are no very high ports that must be used.

Advantage....Short people.

Sez you! We had a stage a couple months ago that required you to shoot over an armpit high (on me; I'm 5'8") wall at some really close targets behind and below the wall. Tall folks could just walk up to it and aim down. Some of the shorter folks had to stand on their toes and/or reach over it with one hand and just point.

E. Warren has posted the stage design equalizer on this forum a number of times.

Instead of ports, use slots. We make ours by placing two walls close together with a gap (slot) between them to shoot through. That way the slots start at the ground and are full height.

Then again, we are a sport that is based in "practical" shooting. The nature of the world is that sometimes tall people have an advantage and sometimes short people do. Such is life. What we want to see in stage design is balance. Design shouldn't continually favor one over the other.

• 2 weeks later...

GAH! Anyone over 5ft needs to be chopped off at the knees!!!

I have never ever seen a tall person unable to actually complete the durned course because some idiot put the bottom of a port higher than 5ft! Been there, done that - lost the match thankyouverymuch!

Low ports are "more fairer" than high ports, but where 5 foot nothing can jsut cuck down a bit, shoot and boogie, 6 foot plus has to really squat and the get up and get going a gain takes a bit longer.

Slots may be fair, but they make for a boring match in that no one has to stretch or squat. Some middle of the road port heights are a good idea, or maybe better yet, throw in ports at multiple heights and place the targets so that they can be shot from either the tall or short positions with maybe some dual views causing a bit of possible confusion.

Jim

All you have to do is start submitting COFs :D

PS if they called it a fence I would have had a big problem with him telling me I couldnd't shoot over it. I just never see that many fences that went up to god.

Edited by johnhurd