Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Tall And Short Of It And How Would You Handle It?

ZoomZoom

I happen to be 6'9"....I know I know...basketball.

As I'm hoping to get back into comp later this summer I remember an "issue" that use to crop up from time to time "back in the day"....I wonder how y'all would handle it.

More then once my height gave me an advantage over shorter shooters. I'm not talking about shooting over the "top of a stage"[ such as over a "solid" wall that happened to only be 6' high] but in situations where “obstacles” had been place to force shooters to shoot under/around them. I could shoot over them but I was always told it wasn’t allowed. I couldn’t use my height to my advantage.

But in stages where being smaller would save you time, shooting under something always seemed to be OK.

It takes me more time to kneel or go prone then a smaller shooter. They have the advantage due to their size. Why shouldn't I be about to use my size to an advantage?

Now I know every stage is different and it would be impossible to judge the situation without seeing it in person but in general, how would you handle a very tall shooter that could use their height to an advantage in a stage?

I've found that the only times being tall is an advantage is over a low wall with targets low in front and sometimes being able to shoot over a close no shoot. Most of the time it is not a height advantage game. Make up for it by being able to take less steps between shooting spots. :lol:

Thanks... Me neither, I've just been hearing it so long, I thought it was a rule.. that makes things interesting...

At the 2 clubs I shoot at, it's (usually) stipulated in the walkthroughs.. I just never looked it up...

Back in the stone age I shot a stage where we encountered a pre-fab stockade fence. We were told it was a fence and were to engage the tatrets on the other side. The options for most people were through a low "missing" board or around the end.

Mean RO wouldn't let me shoot over the top of it........ ;)

In todays Sport at a Match where they go by the Rule (IE: Level 2 or higher) if you can see them you can shoot them... period. as per the rules of freestyle.

Edited by scorch

With a name like "ZoomZoom" you wouldn't happen to drive a Miata, would you? That would be pretty entertaining to see!

Dodge 3500 4 door diesel w/8' box.........

One of out pointers is names Zoom Zoom.

Thanks... Me neither, I've just been hearing it so long, I thought it was a rule.. that makes things interesting...

At the 2 clubs I shoot at, it's (usually) stipulated in the walkthroughs.. I just never looked it up...

If it says so in the walk through you can't go under/over.

If not, I usually ask and then they ask if I would like the walk through to say they "extend to infinity".

If it says so in the walk through you can't go under/over.

If not, I usually ask and then they ask if I would like the walk through to say they "extend to infinity".

Normally the matchbook will state that all walls go from the ground to the sky. If this is stated in the matchbook or walkthrough it applies. Otherwise, it does not. There is no reason to spend excess funds on 8 foot tall walls to keep ZoomZoom from shooting over them. :)

Edited by JayWord

I agree with 40AET....if it isn't written anywhere and they say nothing...you are free to shoot it anyway you want to....let them bitch about it after you shoot it...

Won an Alabama State IDPA match by using that same tactic on the hardest stage there..the majority of the shooters shot it in over a minute...my buds and I, after discussing the stage, shot it in about 35 seconds....we made sure we were the last squad to shoot it and there was nothing they could do but give us the trophies...LOL We laughed all the way home from Birmingham...

Sometimes thinking outside the box will beat youth and speed...but not always..

I agree with 40AET....if it isn't written anywhere and they say nothing...you are free to shoot it anyway you want to....let them bitch about it after you shoot it...

Won an Alabama State IDPA match by using that same tactic on the hardest stage there..the majority of the shooters shot it in over a minute...my buds and I, after discussing the stage, shot it in about 35 seconds....we made sure we were the last squad to shoot it and there was nothing they could do but give us the trophies...LOL We laughed all the way home from Birmingham...

Sometimes thinking outside the box will beat youth and speed...but not always..

Agree, if the decription is not defined at all, you are free to shoot it like you feel is the best way to tackle the COF!! If you do it in a safe manner, you are OK!!

BTW,(OT) Speed and IDPA don't go well in the same sentence!!

I once sa a guy shoot an IDPA Match like he was on a Gunfight!!

2 shots, hide behind cover, 2 more shots, back behind cover, 2 more shots, back behind cover, check magazine, tactical Reload with retention, peek, then shoot again....

It took him over 2 minutes to shoot this stage, this is when I decided to go home!!

I had shot that same stage in 17 seconds, and that was slow for me!!

I am 6'8". I have always had the same concerns as ZoomZoom. Everything is center around the short guy.

YEAH! It's discrimanation and we're taking you all to court. Attorneys have been contacted and briefs are being prepared as I type..... ;)

I am 6'8". I have always had the same concerns as ZoomZoom. Everything is center around the short guy.

KOREA!?!

6' '8" in Korea is like being 8' 4" in the US. How do you deal with it? My god, when was the last time you looked at someone eye to eye unless they were laying down?

I want in on the suit.

I am a relative little guy at only 6'4" but I get sick of hearing "you can always squat (kneel, lay down, etc)". My standard reply is "you can always bring that stool you have to keep in your kitchen".

I am fine with movement and such and I realize you will never be able to equalize every position for everyone. However, oftentimes being gifted with height I understand how a lefty feels.

Take care, Craig

I recently had a CRO, and then his MD tell me that all walls "always extend to infinity." When I challenged their declarations and said, "Show me the rule", their response was to retroactively write it into the stage briefing.

A shameful display from a couple of guys who can't break 5'3".

I'm short (5' 7''), and while I feel it gives me some advantage with low ports, I'd still rather be an inch or two taller. Not only for the girls :D but I've found leaning around a wall (REALLY common where I shoot) very difficult at times. My teammate is tallish (6'3'') and he always gets better times when leaning as he doesn't have to break his stance as much.

Many taller shooters complain that stages usually favor shorter people. While often true, some stages clearly favor taller people with more reach, and I've found tall shooters to be really quiet on these stages about favoring ;)

I'm short (5' 7''), and while I feel it gives me some advantage with low ports, I'd still rather be an inch or two taller. Not only for the girls :D but I've found leaning around a wall (REALLY common where I shoot) very difficult at times. My teammate is tallish (6'3'') and he always gets better times when leaning as he doesn't have to break his stance as much.

Many taller shooters complain that stages usually favor shorter people. While often true, some stages clearly favor taller people with more reach, and I've found tall shooters to be really quiet on these stages about favoring ;)

We're just desperate to get any unfair advantage we can......:):)