Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Respond To The Stress Of Competition?

Sharyn

Many times I find myself going over the stage in my mind right before I shoot it. I picture myself shooting the stage. I mess up and let the stress get the best of me when I try to beat another time I heard mentioned earlier from another shooter shooting the same stage. Oh he or she did it in 19.47. I think I can do it in 17. Then when I shoot it I end up doing the stage in 30 something, because of the stress and lack of preparation. The stress is placed by you.

If the stress is that bad of a condition for you, I suggest you don't drink coffee in the morning. That just adds more agitation to the equation. Possibly have a chamomile tea instead to calm you down. You are already exited about shooting in the first place. You don't need the coffee. If you like Starbucks they have the calm tea that works great.

The best way to relieve stress is practice. Also, keep visual focus of what is going on during the stage while you are shooting it and forget about the time you are trying to beat. Focus on what you are doing and what your are supposed to do in the stage.

We have a lot of creative thinkers out there coming up with great ideas for stages that love to mess with our heads. Keep an open mind, focus and enjoy the now time during the stage. Don't get consumed by the "what my score or time is going to be at the end". That will just mess with you. Try to challenge yourself, but don't overwhelm yourself with the challenge. Believe me the speed comes little by little. The more you practice and the more you shoot will work wonders.

Happy shooting. :D

Funny :D She said she didn't want any solutions.... and that's all she got :D

Well, technically, I said I wasn't looking for a solution to anything... just thought I'd share some words of wisdom. It's nice to read about other people's experiences and how they deal with them.

I thought this topic had quite a lot of depth available. "Stress of Competition" is a broad topic. I see some people are focusing on the immediate stress of a stage (buzzer, time, hits, etc) or stress of the competitive environment... I recently experienced a "specific competitor" stress... ask John Heiter about my response when he read our squad list. ;)

Thought it might be an interesting topic.

Funny :D She said she didn't want any solutions.... and that's all she got :D

It's hard for a group (of guys, especially?) that is considering improvement not to address how that tackle a given situation.

And, it is expected that a topic on a discussion forum will often grow out of...and beyond...the original thread starters intent. (and, we should often embrace that growth of thought...as long as the original idea doesn't get completely side tracked)

Perhaps Sharon was trying to lead the group to water to get a drink. The nature of the group, however, isn't just to drink...we all like to jump in and start swimming. :)

Take Sharon's lead...get Lanny Bassham's book on shooting performance it you haven't already. And, get on his monthly(?) email tip list.

Perhaps Sharon was trying to lead the group to water to get a drink. The nature of the group, however, isn't just to drink...we all like to jump in and start swimming. :)

err... uhhh... please wear swim trunks. :o

Edited by Sharyn

... I recently experienced a "specific competitor" stress...

I've been there. This is one of the reasons why I just withdraw into myself at matches. I can't control what anyone else does, I can only control myself (and even that's questionable at times :D). So I just focus on me, how someone else shoots is not my concern any more. I just shoot for me and not for anyone else or against anyone else.

As to all the suggestions here for handling stress, Sharyn, this is what we guys do. Instead of just accepting what women say and recognising that they feel the way they do, we have to take control and try and fix something.

If we want to fix something we should focus on shelving and washing machine repairs and leave everything else alone.

As to the whole swimming analogy I'll leave that to someone else, I can't swim but I can drown very effectively.

Edited by BritinUSA

I have only been in a fewmatches but I am freakishly nervous when I am up on the first stage, but after that I just remember these simple things

Shoot the match and don't worry about my score till it's over.

It isn't really a solution it is just what I do.

When I go to a match (be it local or major) I watch others in my class shoot, but try not to obsess over their performance. I just want to see if they found a new way to shoot a stage and can I use this info. If my mind set is to beat them I will lose. If I just do the best I can and watch my sights, I do well! Before I got in to ipsc 18 yrs. Ago, I shot bowling pins. I usually won!! I did this by not worrying about the others. One trick I used was when I left the house I did not bring extra ammo. Shooting 5 pins in auto+revolver class I’d only load 4 8 round mags for my 45 auto for 3 runs on the table + 1 to top off. In revolver (44mag) i1d load 6 rounds + put 2 rounds on the table to reload! The idea was to make me concentrate on my shooting and nothing else!! My worst stages in ipsc is when I worry how I will do, my best is when I forget to worry. This year I won a stage (overall) at fl. St. using a limited gun because I forgot to worry. Next stage I trashed because I tried to do it again!!

My 2 cents.

;)

Saul's book really helped me with match stress. I keep a very positive attitude before, during, and after a match, and then positively reflect upon it in my shooting journal (a la Saul again).

One thing that works for me on an individual basis is being lighthearted about a match. I remain focused and in tune, but I allow myself to enjoy the experience! I shot too many matches feeling like a bundle of nerves, and just never really enjoyed myself. By allowing myself to enjoy the shooting, I am able to experience it on a higher level!

I think it was the Beatles that coined the phrase "All you need is love...and Alphas!" B)