Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Types Of Shotguns Used?

texaschase

The Benelli and the Remington are the most popular choices by far, with the others mentioned splitting up the leftover biz ;-)

The Benelli is more robust because it has no gas system and a much simpler trigger group. The Remmy is softer shooting because of it's gas system (same for the Winchester and Brownings mentioned above).

There are more smiths that know them and custom parts available for the Remmy and the Benny but you can get work done on the others too if you look around.

Anyone looking at the Beretta Extrema, yet?? Impressive promo vids on that one. I know there's no Open division goodies available for it, yet... The promo shows an extended mag tube, though... guy shooting it from all sorts of positions, including completely unsupported, held up over his head, etc....

I have two 1100's 'cuz I am too poor to buy one or two fixed-up Benellis.

One 1100 I use for practice and shoot local matches with. The other is for bigger matches. I actually bring both of them to the bigger matches in case one breaks.

$1300-1400 for both of them. Still about $400-600 shy of a single fixed up Benelli M2.

If you change the O ring on an 1100 at reasonable intervals and keep if relatively clean it is" as" or" more" reliable than most shotguns. I had one years ago that I shot skeet doubles with that went 1500 rounds without cleaning and it was just beginning to slow down when it cycled. I have a Benelli M-1 Super 90 that I shoot most of the time but my backup gun is a Remington 1100 because I know I can get it out of the car and it will work 100% of the time. The only draw back to the 1100 is the weight.

Is there a big differance in pump Vs Auto shotguns? does a person need a auto to be compeditive.

Tim

You'll be faster with a semiauto, but as a new shooter use what you have. if you have an old 870, mossberg or 1300 laying around use that. At the local level I've beat guys using autos with my pump (and I've been beated by guys with pumps using a semiauto). If you shoot Heman class you'll be scored with shooters using a pump.

I'm putting together some guns for Tactical class...I'm waiting to see how that new FN Practical (rebadged SX2Practical) feels.

Edited by ArnisAndyz

I've enjoyed hearing all the talk about shotgun types and the different opinions on each of them. (There are a lot of opinions!) Would any of you guys be willing to post pictures of your gear. I'm a visual guy - it would be nice to put a picture with some of the guns you guys have been talking about. And please comment more on barrel length - advantages, disadvantages, different divisions, etc.

Thanks from a new shooter.

And please comment more on barrel length - advantages, disadvantages, different divisions, etc.

Thanks from a new shooter.

Most people go with a 20" - 24" barrel for Limited/Tactical/HeMan becase an 8 magazine tube (class maximum) ends up real close to that. I have an HK Fambarm FP6 with 20" barrel I use for HeMan. With the screw on choke it lines up perfectly with the mag tube. Most everybody is running some type of choke regardless of barrel lengths. Its very typical at my local range to see guys with 18" defensive shotguns having trouble with knocking down steel. Its not the length of the barrel but the abscence of a choke. Open guys sometimes go with 24" + barrels since thier capacity is greater. I believe there is some type of rule that limits how far the extension can go beyond the barrel, but you'll see some guys with short barrels and long tubes, so I don't know.

Advantages? shorter = quicker and lighter, more manuverable in the tight stuff. Long barrel = longer sight radius, more pointable, weight absorbs some of the recoil.

Here is a pic of mine without the choke. Might not be an ideal setup for HeMan but its what I already had at the time.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...8441&hl=FP6

Edited by ArnisAndyz

The rule of the 1" past the barrel for the mag tube is no longer in effect in both 3-gun and multi-gun. If you want an auto and don't want to spend a fortune, alot of folks shoot a Remington Competition Master (there is one in the classifieds). If you want the best, get with Benny Hill or Bevin Grams and get a suped up Benelli M2.

Mike

Edited by mike_pinto

Being of eastern european decent, I like to be a bit different. My current shotgun, is a Winchester Super X, Model 1. It's old...4 digit s/n. The barrel is 22+ inches. The plus is because of where the post for the rib is. An 8 round extension is on it, actually it's a 9 round, shortened to the length of the barrel, makes it a bit easier to get the last round into the tube. I did some grinding on the entry of the magazine, added a big, offset carrier release button. Those old Super X's are built like a Model 12......like a tank. It's all machined parts and reliable. The only drawback is the need to press the carrier release to allow the shell carrier to depress for loading, and hit again when you go to shoot. The later seems to be an occasional thing. It has to do with how much tension is on the shell stop. Shot shells are okay...slugs, being a bit longer aren't okay.... I'll keep shooting it, till I get the Benelli I have ordered the way I want it. That one, is the M2, Comfortech synthetic, 21" barrel. Oh....I shoot tactical.

$1300-1400 for both of them. Still about $400-600 shy of a single fixed up Benelli M2.

I paid $1050 for my M2 and added a $75 mag extension. It runs fantastic.

I was quoted $1800 for a M2 tricked up for Tactical (lightened bolt, feed area polished, lifter welded up, etc.). FFL transfer in my area tacks another $100 :wacko: to that price.

Sure if you keep the M2 basically bone stock with the extended tube the price isn't that bad. But who keeps it stock for long? :P

Pretty much all of the top shooters in my area that shoot Benelli (come to think of it all of them shoot a Benelli :D ) have had their guns modded. All these people wouldn't be modifying their Benellis with the above if it didn't need or enhance its performance.

I'll keep shooting it, till I get the Benelli I have ordered the way I want it. That one, is the M2, Comfortech synthetic, 21" barrel. Oh....I shoot tactical.

Does the Comfortech stock somehow bypass the rule about 'devices for recoil reduction'? I would love to have a shotgun with a recoil reducing stock, but I thought that would put it into Open, rather than Tactical? I don't want to play in Open any time soon. B) I'm trying to get stuff together to play in some 3 gun matches, and there is so much information floating around, it is hard to make sense of it all. Thanks!

Arnie