Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor Safety Auto-engaging

bp78

Let me preface this post by acknowledging that I need to do a better job of riding the safety. Normally I do ride the safety and have no problems. However, I still occasionally make the mistake of not getting my thumb back over the safety after a reload quickly enough or don't position it right when shooting from-retention stages. (IDPA)

The safety on my Armscor 1911-A2 is loose and easily pops-up into safe during firing. Any suggestions on making the lever more positive? I'm not much of a garage-smith, but part of buying the Armscor was so that I wouldn't feel too bad tinkering on it.

I'd also consider swaping out the stock ambi safety for a smoother single-side safety (although that might make IDPA weak-hand stages more difficult)

Thanks.

You might be able to make a little divot on the front of the safety...where the spring loaded nub from the safety plunger tube make contact?

Yep, with the guts out of the plunger tube, put the safety in the down position and push a drill bit through the plunger tube to make a mark on the safety. Take safety off of the gun and make a small divot. The deeper the divot, the stronger the safety will want to stay down.

ETA: Here's the "correct" tool for the job.

Edited by Matt Cheely

You might be able to make a little divot on the front of the safety...where the spring loaded nub from the safety plunger tube make contact?

Yep, with the guts out of the plunger tube, put the safety in the down position and push a drill bit through the plunger tube to make a mark on the safety. Take safety off of the gun and make a small divot. The deeper the divot, the stronger the safety will want to stay down.

ETA: Here's the "correct" tool for the job.

Thanks guys. I'll give this tip a try.