Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Trigger Job / Change Out

redwoods

I have a STI Tactical 5" that I use for duty as a police officer. I also use it to shoot USPSA until I get another gun, probably in the spring.

I want to have a lighter trigger pull for shooting matches, but don't want it for when I carry it on duty. My question is...Can I get a trigger job done on the gun with new parts and then swap them out once a month when I shoot an IPSC match?

Also, can I get a SVI trigger with the changeout triggers and install it without changing the trigger pull much? I want to try a longer trigger since I have big hands.

Thanks,

Redwoods

As far as an SVI trigger going into a STI, the answer is yes. As far as trigger pull in my opinion I would leave it alone. You shoot competition with it, your familiar with it. Plus, you have quite a few safeties on the gun to begin with to protect you from an Accidental Discharge, not to mention the safety features on your holster.

I have an SV trigger on my STI and I had my gunsmith put it in. He did some filing on the trigger gaurd of the STI underneath the actual trigger,to make the trigger a little smoother. I can't remeber if he did any other mods to the actual trigger to make it fit. Sorry, maybe someone else could give you a better answer. But I do like the SV trigger better, with the inserts. Try them all and find the one you like.

Good Luck

PK

One more question, Is another tigger a drop in part, or do I need to have it fitted at a gunsmith?

Redwoods

It may work as a drop in but it will not be what it could be as a gunsmith fitted part. Not as nice or as smooth...... ;)

Good shooters do not need light pulls. This comes from the old Bullseye gamers who took their time and had a minute for each shot. I built a lot of 1911's with 56 ounce pulls and that is how they left my shop. For Cops, they were a pound more. My own guns range from 2lbs to 5 1/2 lbs. Some are for carry, some are for fun. If you want a light trigger pull on a 1911, get another gun.

I never shot matches when I was an LEO.

All you need to do is tweek the sear spring for a 4# for duty & retweek it to 2# for comp.

I guess I could just buy another sear spring and set it to around 2.5# when I shoot matches.

I am going to call my gunsmith and have him put in a SVI tri glide trigger so I can play with the trigger lengths and in the process I will ask him about the trigger pull.

The trigger pull is OK now, about 4.6 to 4.8 lbs, but it would be nice to have a lighter pull for shooting the plate rack and other steel at 30+ feet.

Thanks for the info,

Redwoods

I use to switch sear springs - under 2lbs for matches 3.5 to 4lbs for duty I kept the light sear spring in a prescription bottle so that it would not get bent, when out of the gun, I never had a problem.