Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversion Barrels

CaseyJ

I am currently shooting IPSC at the local club with my pretty much bone stock Glock 20. Here is my dillema i do not have enough money to just go out and buy a Fancy 35 or brand new Para ... so STI and SV are definitely out of the Picture! I am thinking of converting my 20 to run a 40 barrel or maybe even a 9mm Major. I have access to ALOT of 9mm brass once fired military stuff. I have a Dillon 550 and know how to reload. I am fairly competent in gunsmithing so any minor smith work i can do myself or have my local smith do.

I can get plenty of aftermarket goodies now that i have been looking long enough. the question is what barrel to buy and caliber. If I stick with a 40 barrel i can use the same mags and seat them long like the 40 guys with Paras do (probably the way i will go).

Anyone tried this and what was their luck?

Is it legal in Limited?

Any concerns or tips?

Thanks Casey

Actually some people prefer to have the wider grip of the 10mm,45 etc. Some people claim that the recoil is softer with the wider grip. As far as barrels, I would reccomend a .40 cal KKM precision barrel. 9mm major is not legal, its only legal in open division. If you plan on shooting it in production, you will not be able to change out different caliber barrels. Or you can shoot production, just switch back to your 10mm barell, but you will still be scored minor. So you would be able to shoot Limited, or limited 10 with the gun after buying the new barrel. Another advantage to having the wider grip is that you can load your rounds longer, thus decreasing pressure in a high pressure round. Plus .40 cal brass is much cheaper than 10mm brass. As far as extended basepads, you may want to try arrendondo, they may make extensions for the wider mags.

Good luck

PK

PK

thanks for the info. I personally prefer the wider grip as I have large hands. I did not know about the 9mm major only being allowed in open. Kinda defeats the purpose of a Nine though doesn't it?

Will look into KKM know any good places to buy one besides Lone Wolf ? I planned on seating them long to lower the pressure

I'd go with the KKM for sure. Love mine.

You can't load long with a Glock. Will need to stick with the max length from your manual.

You can also shoot 9mm minor in Limited. Not something I care for, but I know of at least one person who stomps me regularly shooting minor. I really hate that :(

So KKM looks like it has good reviews, anyone know anything about the Jarvis Barrels? Lone wolf has the KKM conv. barrel for like 164 + ship

I am done thinking about 9mm major, don't need that kind of headache or risk screwing that up.

As for loading long, what would be the reason that I can't load 40 long in my glock 20? seems like there would be plenty of room and the gun takes ammo that is alot longer than .40 SAMMI specs right now? just misunderstanding?

Thanks for all the help will probably be ordering the barrel tonight or tomorrow.

I have a G20 with a KKM barrel. Bought direct from KKM $165. Love shooting it. Went with Arrendondo pads with ISMI P045 springs. Works great. I only shoot factory anymore. No time to reload due to work. Functions great. I think I shoot it better than my G35.