Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hopping To Get Back Into Comp

ZoomZoom

I just ran across an older .38 super in nice shape that's set up like my guns were back in the day [late 80's].....Bo-mars, comp, ambi saftey, etc.

With the comp, I'll have to shoot Open right? But is there a class these days for comp guns with open sights or will I need to install optics on it?

Edited by ZoomZoom

I just ran across an older .38 super in nice shape that's set up like my guns were back in the day [late 80's].....Bo-mars, comp, ambi saftey, etc.

With the comp, I'll have to shoot Open right? But is there a class these days for comp guns with open sights or will I need to install optics on it?

Yeah, you'll be in Open. The supers today hold around 28 rounds with extended magazines. Plus, they have C-More red dot sights. You might a little out-gunned with your old rig, but just go have fun and see what's out there.

I started shooting 17 years ago, so I know what kind of guns you're talking about. I'm shooting in Production myself. Just a Glock-17 with a Vanek trigger, metal sights and some skateboard tape. I'm having more fun now than ever.

Wecome back!

Edited by BlackSabbath

If you are talking USPSA. you are in the open division against hi-cap 38/9's with optics. No other place for a comp gun in that game. Go take a look at the USPSA website (www.uspsa.org) and click "rules"

Later,

Chuck

It just seems a shame that all those "developmental" pistols, like any with a comp, regardless of caliber, all being singlestack, are not competitive in any class without extensive mods and then it is a maybe, not for certain..sure you can shoot steel with them, but ....

:(

Or you can drop $400 on a hicap frame and get it fitted up. That's what happened to almost all the old single-stack raceguns in Super I know of. A few are still around as single-stack steel guns or nostalgia pieces.

As soon as Single Stack gets railroaded through, the next thing we're pushing is Open Single Stack (irons only), right? :lol:

ZoomZoom, any chance you have some other guns handy? (you sound like you might still have something around ;) )

The sport has grown a few new gun divisions...so that "equipment race" is pretty much over with. (Heck, even in Open Division, the equipment race kinda died out about 10y ago.)

Thanks for the input folks. I went to USPSA and read the bad [for me] news. 23 round supers!!! I had a hard time keeping track of a single stack super when I was youg and knew everything. I don't stand a chance now.

Sounds like I'd be better off going the single stack route or production/limited with a new barrel or different gun.

No race guns laying around. I sold em all off including a comped super that would group 3/4" prone at 25 yards. :(

I don't own that gun yet I was just thinking.......... gun, belt holster, mag pouches and 6 mags for $650.

Edited by ZoomZoom

What about shooting SS minor with just a new barrel on the thing? At least it would get me back in the game with a big cash out lay [for now!]

Sorry, no nostalgia class in USPSA (yet).

I never expected to be this old and 49 ain't old [so I'm told].

Edited by ZoomZoom

What about shooting SS minor with just a new barrel on the thing? At least it would get me back in the game with a big cash out lay [for now!]
Sorry, no nostalgia class in USPSA (yet).

I never expected to be this old and 49 ain't old [so I'm told].

ZoomZoom - Welcome back! Believe it or not, there are shooters here who literally didn't know that double-stack 1911s weren't always around. :D

I remember seeing a gun like yours for the first time. The guy was shooting 160 grain LRNs through it, and it looked like a choo-choo train as he traversed the targets.

If you decide to get this gun - and it does sound like a good deal - it might be cheaper to amputate the comp than get another barrel. If the front sight is on the slide, you'd be done with the mods. If the front sight is on the comp, you'd obviously have to have one installed on the slide. With some fresh mag springs and a recoil spring, you'd be ready to go.

Reminds me of when I was making major with a 130 gr. [if I remember that far back!] jacketed bullet. The gun was the first complete comp gun made by Caspian. Not knowing better they had throated the barrel. Unburned powder would build up in the comp and then burn off about every 4-5 shot. I guess it looked pretty crazy. People then picking brass would FREAK when they saw the bulged cases caused by the throated barrels. Starting with new P+ cases I NEVER had a case even crack let alone come apart.

*sigh sniff sniff* The "good" old days....... :blink:

Gotta call about that gun today and see what happens.

Bummer... Hard to figure out what's going on with the slide/comp fit. Looks like they cut the slide back so the comp would recess into it. That would mean a new slide. Might still be an ok deal though.

174010910.jpg

Edited by ZoomZoom

Reminds me of when I was making major with a 130 gr. [if I remember that far back!] jacketed bullet. The gun was the first complete comp gun made by Caspian. Not knowing better they had throated the barrel. Unburned powder would build up in the comp and then burn off about every 4-5 shot. I guess it looked pretty crazy. People then picking brass would FREAK when they saw the bulged cases caused by the throated barrels. Starting with new P+ cases I NEVER had a case even crack let alone come apart.

*sigh sniff sniff* The "good" old days....... :blink:

Gotta call about that gun today and see what happens.

Bummer... Hard to figure out what's going on with the slide/comp fit. Looks like they cut the slide back so the comp would recess into it. That would mean a new slide. Might still be an ok deal though.

174010910.jpg

Damn...I AM old!!! :o I 've owned some of that Ernie Hill Speed Leather!!! In Black of course....I still have my angled mag-pouches. That was trick stuff back then.

There you go!! Just make sure when you can find brass to buy ALL of it. I have a friend who shoots .38 and appearantly brass is scarce.

Good luck.. If you live around OK, look us up at okcgunclub.org. Big club, lots of shooting. Now get you a good shotgun and AR so you can shoot 3-gun!!