Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Topic? Not Picking Up Primer All The Time When Loading 45(s)

radnor

My son said he had no issues loading his 9mm.

But when I load my 45(s), FREQUENTLY the arm with the primer cup on it will NOT go toward me 100% of the travel. So, I do not think the primer cup is pushing in the white pin to allow a primer to fall into the cup.

Any ideas on fixing this????

I did clean the base, primer track bearing, primer slide arm, and the base of the primer housing and shield with alcohol.

Make sure the stop bolt is adjusted so that you get about .030" of travel PAST the end of the drop tube/magazine. Make sure the wire arm that actuates the primer slide is not bent and is putting enough pressure on the slide to move it full travel. Replace the tip on the primer drop tube/magazine.

Holler back if that doesn't take care of your problems.

When I have similar problems, it is usualy the primer bar wire arm. I found that on my 550B it sometimes walks out a bit, drifting away from the press body, and the angles resulting from that keep it from actuating the bar all the way. My low tech solution was to wrap a twist tie around the press body and the arm, up top near its hole, and problems solved. I even had a twist tie of the appropriate dillon blue :)

Edited by Vlad

Make sure the primer seating stem isn't bent a little bit. If it is the sleeve around the

spring will drag the inside of the housing, and won't come back quite far enough to

pick up a primer. Also, don't screw down the top nut on the primer tube too tight.

Try loosening it just a bit and see if that helps.

When I have similar problems, it is usualy the primer bar wire arm. I found that on my 550B it sometimes walks out a bit, drifting away from the press body, and the angles resulting from that keep it from actuating the bar all the way. My low tech solution was to wrap a twist tie around the press body and the arm, up top near its hole, and problems solved. I even had a twist tie of the appropriate dillon blue :)

+1 on that pesky arm- boggled my mind when it happened the first time, it looked and felt like everything was functioning, and then I saw the light....

and THANKS for the low tech solution. Will implement posthaste (I just push it back in usually)

• 1 month later...

I had some similar problems (posted in the Dillon subforum), which finally cleared up when I broke it down a THIRD time and ran the primer bar over a large file to deburr all four sliding sides.

I run dry moly on mine. It's an '80s vintage--anyone know if Dillon is using a stronger return spring? The return stroke has typically caused me the most trouble.

There have been no changes to the return spring since it's inception. Try moving the primer slide by hand with the operating rod removed. Often the cause for drag is the presence of galling where the short end of the op-rod fits into the bracket clamped around the primer shield. Use steel wool or scotch-brite pad to clean the end of the op-rod, then grease the end that goes into the hole in the bracket. :ph34r: