Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa President's Medals

John Heiter

Yeah, the Division winners already get a Plaque/Trophy/Certificate and another trinket is not deserved here IMO.

Establish a criterion for extreme levels of achievment and award it only when that criteria is met. Like a C shooter winning a stage or two against all comers at a major, or a B shooter winning a major match against a half dozen GM's.

Robby (read all the top dawgs here) getting "another" one for winning "another" division/match is superfluous for special awards like these IMHO. Make it a for something special if you want it to be a special prize. Winning their division is something the well known GM's do all the time.

Maybe we should consider the Presidents Medal as something given for service rather than another shooting award.

Make it something voted on by the BOD and awarded once a year at Nationals.

Something like a lifetime achievement award or recognition given to someone who has gone above and beyond to keep a club or section running.

Sort of a USPSA MVP award.

Tls

Cheely...your sure you haven't seen one? I think you collected one here in Ohio last year for winning Production (Level III match). I got one for Michigan (Targeting Ed) last year.

- That matches give out plaques and prizes at all is purely the result of a decision made by THAT match's management. They aren't mandatory, just commonplace and expected.

- USPSA medals can be had at Level III matches. In the beginning, I would assume that these were given as the awards. Now, there seem to be a supplement to the plaques and such that we are used to.

- I have no understanding of where the "hero worship" talk has to do with awards for achievement? And, I don't understand why Robbie's name keeps getting brought up? He has, maybe, won one all year long so far???

- The medals are...kinda cheap. :unsure:

- From a Major Match Director's view point, is might be nice to have something else to give away. But, sending out 60 or more for a match with 175 people doesn't make much sense.

I'm thinking you would end up awarding the biggest sandbagger with that criteria.

The part about establishing a criterion for the award should cover this possibility if it is done properly. I DID NOT actually specify any valid selection criteria, only some possible circumstances that could warrant it if the win was earned/deserved.

No award like this should just be punched out whenever an arbitrary circumstance occurs in the match results. You would probably want to use a committee approach to evaluate worthiness before issuing anything like this for just such a reason as you bring up JFD ;-)

One issue to think about, guys.....

My son Sam won a President's medal for High Junior Revolver shooter at a big match a couple years ago.

I suppose I could have made some smart-mouthed remark on the way home about how he was the only Junior Revolver shooter participating in the match, and imply the medal wasn't earned.

But I wouldn't dream of doing that. He was 11 years old at the time, and that medal was (and still is) a very proud possession for Sam.

I understand not watering down the significance of the awards, but let's keep in mind the importance of finding ways to recognize our junior shooters, particularly those who are still young enough that they are not yet performing on the stage as the rest of us. OK?

I have only got them for being high over all in shotgun and rifle competitions internationaly which don't distinguis classification. I guess I would go with the winners of the division only. They are purple and gold and kind of flashy. Good Bling-bling! :D

Cheely...your sure you haven't seen one? I think you collected one here in Ohio last year for winning Production (Level III match).

I won one? I never got it. Hey, maybe I can get one for my Area 8 preformance? maybe? please? :blink:

One issue to think about, guys.....

My son Sam won a President's medal for High Junior Revolver shooter at a big match a couple years ago.

I suppose I could have made some smart-mouthed remark on the way home about how he was the only Junior Revolver shooter participating in the match, and imply the medal wasn't earned.

But I wouldn't dream of doing that. He was 11 years old at the time, and that medal was (and still is) a very proud possession for Sam.

I understand not watering down the significance of the awards, but let's keep in mind the importance of finding ways to recognize our junior shooters, particularly those who are still young enough that they are not yet performing on the stage as the rest of us. OK?

Mike,

I would not for a moment begrudge Sam his medal. Nor any other Junior.

One of my pet peeves with the martial arts stems from just such a motivational system however. Most people, whether they have studied or have a child study a martial art or not, have some understanding one gets a different colored belt with each grade of achievement. What most people do not realize is this system is used in the Orient only for children. Adults have white belts and black belts. (in the Japanese, Okinawan, Korean traditions. The Chinese are altogether different). The multi colored belt system is used to reward and motivate children. We as Americans were insulted, without knowing it, by those sensei who percieved us as undisciplined as children and they thought we needed the motivation.

Later, the number of colored belts increased, then each of those colors in some systems started aquiring stripes, each promotion costing the recipient of the "award" a nominal fee and the rank system became no more than a money stream.

Back to the point. I don't think we need to motivate adults as children. An adult will shoot because he enjoys shooting, because he chooses to pursue increased skill levels or because there is some other pay value for him. Making sure everyone feels good about attending a match is good marketing and as a business function meaningless "awards" have a known effect. I'd like to have an award that actually means something.

In Sam's case he was the high Junior Revolver shooter. I have no trouble seeing Juniors as a separate acknowledgable category and there should be recognition for them. What I do not care for is a President's medal for first A B C or D etc., shooter for adults.

Unless the kids start winning on a regular basis of course, then I guess we will need special recognition for the old fogey divisions.... :D

Good point Dale...

tongue in cheek mode

I think that the ladies need special medals too to encourage and motivate them since some men mistakenly treat the ladies as children...of course until the match is over. Besides don't you want to see more uhm...er...ponytails at the range?

tongue in cheek mode off

If I were king.

Awards for first in class and top 3 in division. Award for junior in each division. President's medal for meritorious achievement (TBD). Award for high lady in each division. I would also rather there be half the divisions there are....with 6 divisions the competition gets spread out too much.

Other than that I think it gets too watered down. By giving out so many awards we are saying that "everyone is special." Which of course means that no one is.

Personally I would love to do away with the classes and shoot heads up as either Amateur or Professional.

I think that the same policy of encouraging juniors should also apply to women. Men are naturally drawn to the sport but less so for women.

Blatant sexist rant on:

Anything to encourage more involvement by the 'ponytail-people' is good for the sport, and not too bad on the eyes either.

Blatent sexist rant off:

Oooh, I like that - the ponytail people! Naturally I want to see more women at the range but not for the same reason you guys do... :lol: But I don't know that a medal is the sort of bling that will get a lady interested. I may be wrong about it for the newer lady shooters as I'm sure it's an inexpensive way to create good will. If there are only 2 ladies signed up however, how much does the medal mean? If there were enough participation to make it mean something, I could buy that. My goal at an area match isn't to get a President's medal or even a top lady plaque. I'm not certain that a plaque or medal is even a "good" goal. If I place in class, I think that is an accomplishment. Heck if I'm in the top 20 at a major match, I'm estatic (even if I'm fourth A). I think ladies join for a number of reasons: some social (the boyfriend or hubby shoots), an interest in competition/martial arts, perhaps even self defense...and I'm just not certain that a medal would be at the top of the list of reasons. My .02 (I mean cents not the number of brain cells that I can rub together). :D

Even though I believe this is what the USPSA President's medal should be utilized for...I wonder after reading Carmoney's post if some still cling to the belief that President's medals should be utilized for HOA only. <_<

Congrats Sam.... ;)

Even though I believe this is what the USPSA President's medal should be utilized for...I wonder after reading Carmoney's post if some still cling to the belief that President's medals should be utilized for HOA only. <_<

Congrats Sam.... ;)

Yup. It's not like we can only have one kind of medal, ever. One of my favorites is a relatively ordinary IPSC stage medal. Except it's gold colored and Eric Grauffels isn't for that particular stage.

But.. 'High Junior Revo' is as much a HOA as 'High Lady Open' or 'High Limited Super Senior'. Those all get medals in the international scheme of things. It's giving Presidents Medals for "1st C Modified" that I'm less keen on. We should have Presidents Class Medals (or just plain old trophies) for that.

Anything to encourage more involvement by the 'ponytail-people' is good for the sport, and not too bad on the eyes either.

I believe the politically correct term is "Gyno-American." ;)

Edited by Carmoney

I believe that the Presidents medal should only be awarded to HOA in each division if that shooter beat all others by a minimum of 10% points.

It should be hard to get and take extreme amounts of practice/training like a Heisman trophy, gold at the olympics or a Super Bowl ring.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I believe that the Presidents medal should only be awarded to HOA in each division if that shooter beat all others by a minimum of 10% points.

What's the greater achievement: fighting through neck-and-neck competition against one's peers, for 10 stages? Or dropping into L-10, with a weak field and beating them by 10%.

What's the greater achievement: fighting through neck-and-neck competition against one's peers, for 10 stages? Or dropping into L-10, with a weak field and beating them by 10%.

ADD: The shooter must have a minimum of 25 classifiers in the division and the division must have at least 20 shooters signed up.

There, all fixed.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

ADD: The shooter must have a minimum of 25 classifiers in the division and the division must have at least 20 shooters signed up.

There, all fixed.

It's hard enough just to get my first four posted why don't you just add anyone that hasn't been in the sport for five years.(Under breath)That will attract new comers

• 13 years later...