Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa President's Medals

John Heiter

First, let me say that I think the idea of USPSA awarding the President's medals to top shooters at the larger matches is a really great idea. They are quite attractive and anyone who earns one should feel justified pride in displaying them.

My question has to do with the distribution policy for awarding them. Match Directors at Level III/Area matches are sent a packet containing (unless they ask for fewer) 23 President's medals. These are to be distributed as follows:

Match Winner

Limited: 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Open: 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Limited 10: High Overall

Production: High Overall

Revolver: High Overall

Any extra medals not assigned are to be returned to USPSA HQ.

My question is this...given the advent of Singel Stack, the increasing popularity of Revolver and Production, and a general concept of fairness based on actual match participation, should we as USPSA members ask our Area Director's (or the appropriate USPSA governance) to review this policy?

Thanks,

John

..given the advent of Single Stack, the increasing popularity of Revolver and Production, and a general concept of fairness based on actual match participation, should we as USPSA members ask our Area Director's (or the appropriate USPSA governance) to review this policy?

Thanks,

John

Yep! ;) Key words being "A general concept of fairness based on actual match participation."

Don't forget to give out prizes for:

- Shortest Split Time

- The Power Factor Floor Limbo Contest

- Highest Power Factor - with separate awards for each caliber used in each division.

- Most Bungled Reload - separated out by Division and mean earth orbital elevation.

- Miss Congeniality

and...

- Most spectacular Death Jam From Hell

Don't forget to give out prizes for:

- Shortest Split Time

- The Power Factor Floor Limbo Contest

- Highest Power Factor - with separate awards for each caliber used in each division.

- Most Bungled Reload - separated out by Division and mean earth orbital elevation.

- Miss Congeniality

and...

- Most spectacular Death Jam From Hell

Well don't leave out neatest TruGrip installation. :D

Well don't leave out neatest TruGrip installation. :D

Well...I didn't want to be greedy. Personally, I was hoping for a medal for "Most Wanton Waste of Perfectly Good Ammunition."

Seriously, should more than a handful of people a year be eligible to win a President's Medal? If you're going to be honored by the USPSA President, should it be awarded at the discretion of the President for some type of very meritorious performance - shooting or otherwise?

IPSC Presidents medals are only given to match winners in the respective divisions. They also have some "President's class medals" for the ICS classification winners, but they aren't seen a lot yet-- they look like small President's medals on a white ribbon instead of a purple one.

I like that plan. I think the medal thing is pretty cool for a trophy match, but since they don't say what they're for, keep 'em at the top levels.

Well...I didn't want to be greedy. Personally, I was hoping for a medal for "Most Wanton Waste of Perfectly Good Ammunition."

What about...

Most Misses in one Stage

Most No-Shots hit in one Stage

Ok, OK,

+1 on 1 medal to the winner of each Division!!

Not everyone deserves a Medal!!

Y

Y

I would like to see the Match Winner and

Limited: High Overall +1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Open: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Limited 10: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Production: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Revolver: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Single Stack: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

all receive medals.

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

I am always surprised by the number of people that don't want to see anyone but the elite shooters get any kind of recognition.

Is that what you want?

Why bother to make them shoot?

Just send Leatham his trophy for the Single Stack Classic every year and save him the travel expenses.

I agree that we shouldn't be handing out medals to everyone that shows up because it cheapens them.

They should be given as recognition of a great performance.

However, every great performance is not necessarily a match winning performance.

We should be able to find some sort of happy medium between recognizing everybody and recognizing the same elite few time after time.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

How 'bout top three in each major division, HOA only in a poorly represented division? Split up the divisions between well and poorly represented divisions the way Nats' slots are awarded. That way, the top guns get awarded, and everyone still has a goal to work toward. I may never get a medal, or win a slot into the nationals through a match, but it sure doesn't mean:

A: That I'll be upset about it

B: That I won't try as hard to do it.

The problem I see a lot today is that too many people (not just in IPSC/ USPSA/ shooting) feel they "deserve" awards for trying....it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to get to be the best, and any awards should show who is the best.

BTW- +1 on EricWS's: "... I was hoping for a medal for "Most Wanton Waste of Perfectly Good Ammunition."

That pretty much sums up my shooting, in a nutshell :P

I'm all about class medals (I have an IPSC class medal. It looks just like an IPSC President's medal, only a little smaller), and even stage medals (I have a rack of those, they do 1st, 2nd & 3rds on stages), but I think we need to reserve something for the best and "President's Medals" should be it and go with HOA. Level III matches aren't huge matches, so it's not like TGO is going to come to the Podunk Section Championship and take all the medals.

If they want to give metals to everyone and their brother in Limited then they need to be doing it for the rest of the divisions when seen fit. Obviously if there are 5 SS and Revolver folks then its a different story.

I've seen several larger matches this year with as many Production as Limited or Open. Sometimes a few more. Reward accordingly.

I would like to see the Match Winner and

Limited: High Overall +1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Open: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Limited 10: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Production: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Revolver: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

Single Stack: High Overall + 1st M, 1st A, 1st B, 1st C, 1st D, High Lady, High Junior, High Senior, High SSenior

all receive medals.

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

I agree with this but would add some minimum participants per class and rank

I don't want a metal if I was the only c or d shooter there(Or beat out one other participant) and it should be in auto up grade.To the next level.(I think it is if I read the rules right).

I also agree that the should be slightly smaller from the overall and class differ in a degree.

This would keep the sand bagers from staying in lower ranks just to win awards.

First let me say that there are trophies and plaques that usually go three deep in every class and division.

The Presidents Medal should be given as special recognition.

How about this?

Medal awarded to 1st in each division regardless of participation.

Medal awarded for Stage winners.????? ......Maybe.

Medal awarded for 1st in class in any division provided that class has (x) number of shooters.

My recommendation would be 15.

Actual number to be determined.

High OAL Lady, Junior, Senior (again tied to number of participants in that category)

What say you?

Tls

Full Disclosure: I have a Presidents Medal for winning 1st C in Limited at 2005 Area 6 .

There were 40 shooters in C Ltd that day and I'm pretty proud of that medal.

Edited by tlshores

If you REALLY want to be fair about it, you would give out medals for High Overall, Each Division winner, and 1st in class in each Division that met the participation criteria. A Division and/or class victory is no small feat and should be recognized as such.

Limiting award distribution to only those at the top amounts to another form of "hero worship." :angry:

Every now and then, we have to remember where the bulk of the membership comes from and where in the classification ladder they reside...

Edited by Chuck D

<OH SH!T, the humor break popped again!!!>

Hell yeah, medals for everyone, liberal democrat style.

.....and as part of my new "no shooter left behind" program, every shooter, regardless of talent or performance will recieve the same awards and be promoted to the next class, with no minimum score, or attendance criteria, just like a world champion. All shooters are equally special, and we can create affirmative action to enforce this!!

Please see my other thread, detailing my plan. I HAVE A DREAM

Edited by dirtypool40