Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr Vs 180gr

foxyyy

Considering both loads are of the same power factor (170pf), same components: VV N320 powder & WSP primer. What's the difference in using a 200gr head versus a 180gr head? Feel? Recoil? Effect on the pistol components durability?

When do you use a 200gr head instead of the 180gr? Thanks!

My preference is for the 200.

I run a G35, PF is about 170-172. To me the recoil impulse with the 200 does not seem as sharp or stingy as with the 180's, at least in the Glock.

Some like 180's, nothing wrong there. The 200's are a subjective personal preference.

Edited by Viggen

I might give that a try I have a box of 200 gr Zero's I bought to load for my 610 revolver and never got around to it.

How many grains of N320 are you using for the 180's? and 200's?

I am using 5.0 gr N320 in my SV Sight Tracker 170 PF.

Thanks

I hate to be the lone dissenter here on the 200 gr. But I seem to get more of a "roll" out of the 200's. Noticeably so on Bill drills.

The best feeling load for me is the 185 gr. precisions w/TG

Well. I started with 220s - then 200s - then 180/185s. Last week I bought 3K of the 155s Precisions and am trying them over 5 gr. of TG and I really think I like it better. Sharper recoil but much quicker impulse and recovery.

I've gone the other way, started with 155 and now am up to 200's. I don't shoot good enough to really feel one way or the other. I'm with Eric, and gonna start shooting whats good for the check book, and spend a lot more time on the range.

I used to use 200's under the old (175) power factor. Went to 180s for 165. My reason is not very scientific but the gun sort of ker-chunks with 200's but snaps right back into position with the 180s. I swear I have to wait for the slide to return to battery with the 200s. And, as Eric pointed out, less metal, less $$$

Later,

Chuck

Thanks guys!

A friend of mine ordered a lot of heads and decided to hitch in with the group buy. The original plan was for a 180gr hard cast lead bullets but later on my friend told me that all the heads will be 200gr since most of the shooters who ordered it is now using that type. I guess I'll just have to experiment with the load using VV320 and see if it will suit me & my gun.