Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited shotgun sights?

Steve Moneypenny

i finally got a remington 1100, i have a 22" bbl with rifle sights, choke tubes, etc. what sights do you all reccomend for the gun, it will be used for 3 gun and for skeet ( with a 28" VR bbl.

here is my problem, i love the trak lok sights on my 870, BUT i don't want a sight on the reciever of my 1100 since it will be used for skeet.

all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

smoney... you might try a Williams sight that attaches to the left side of the receiver and cantilevers the aperture over the top.  If you remove the screw in aperture discs, the threaded hole makes a pretty good ghost ring for holding elevation even with a front bead. Just remove the cantilever arm when you shoot aerial targets.  I milled off most of the front ramp on my 21inch deer barrel, and made a regular post sight as I wanted it lower.  I prefer to shoot a 21inch vent rib with just a front bead for most matches.  We dont shoot many slug matches here, and the occasional slug shot is under 50yds and not all that difficult with a bead sight (if the stock is cut to the correct height.  regards

You can shoot skeet w/ a ghost ring with little (but definite) handicap.  My skeet scores  drop about 5-10% when I shoot my limited shotgun w/ a Williams aperture and fiber optic front.  

Tough to have a limited shotgun to do both skeet and 3 gun  well.  The Williams sight allows you to slide the aperture off but you would constantly be rezeroing.  You can shoot 3 gun w/ just a bead but slug targets may be more difficult.  If you wanted to shoot open, put a dot on the shotgun.  My skeet scores are unaffected or even slightly improved when I shoot w/ a dot (but don't tell Brian!)

I'd suggest that you modify the rear sight to a configuration similar to the Ashley Express sight. This is easily done with a dremel tool with a carbide cut-off wheel, touch up with cold blue. The express type sight is much faster on steel and frangible targets because the front sight doesn't have to be realigned in the small stock notch each shot. Precision shots with slugs are still a snap because the express offers good windage and elevation references. Best of all, it's cheap to boot!

smoney,

I suggest that you don't use a rear sight. If your shotgun fits you and you are shooting it correctly it will shoot where you look. IMO any rear sight will only slow you down for IPSC and make it very hard to use it for anything else. I have a magnetic fiber optic front sight I use in IPSC that I can take off for Skeet or trap. I use an 1187 with a 28in VR barrel and most of the time I use a Improved Cylinder choke. NO pistol grip.

I'm just about to take the fiber optic sight off as I think that slows me down.

A shotgun will shoot where you look if it fits and you are using good technique.

(Edited by Singlestack at 10:01 pm on Sep. 28, 2001)

To shoot slugs well you have to know where they hit at different ranges. A good trigger helps a lot also. I have the trigger on my 11-87 breaking very clean at 2.5lbs. I can shoot slugs more accurately with rifle style sights but I can shoot them well enough and a whole lot faster with just a fiber front. Most IPSC shotgunning is on steel at fairly close ranges and IMO rifle (ghost ring or whatever) style sights are more of a hinderance than a help. If you are trying to get that good of a sight picture you are going too slow.

I feel the 28in barrel is the perfect length. I had a 22in and sold it because I feel the 28 offers more velocity. A lot of people will dissagree with that but I have knocked down steel with the 28 that the 22 left standing in practice. My 22 had a fixed IC choke and I like to use a Modified sometimes. I do not think the extra 6in slows me down any and I think it shoots flatter than the 22 so if the 22 is faster, the 28 is flatter and makes up the difference.

One thing to remember. These are just my opinions. Shotguns, like pistols, are a very personal setup weapon. In shotgunning, like pistols, confidenance is everything. You have to KNOW that you will hit your target to go fast. If you wait for feed back you just got beat..........

I like to practice at the Trap range. I start from low ready and try to hit the bird as fast as possible. You will get some strange looks doing this with a shotgun that has an extended mag tube and a easy loader on it at the trap range but I want to practice with the same gun and in the same start position I compete with. This is GREAT first shot practice.

thanks for the info, maybe i wish i hadn't bought the shorter barrel now. lol. but seriously i will run a few tests with them and see what is faster.

if you have ever shot a 14.5" gun you would be in love, they are SO fast on transitions with a capacity of 6 rounds it's perfect for any tactical applications, and for short range side shoots you can clean house with it. the only down side, especially for me is the $200 tax stamp.

Just back from the WC 3 gun championship.  I looked at a lot of limited shotgun setups.  Ghost-rings seem to be on the wane.  A lot of of good shooters are relying on a front sight alone. Fiber optic front sights are definitely very popular.  Todd Salmon's Benelli has a .70 fiber optic front sight milled into the rib and a flip-up 10/22 mounted on the barrel.  He shoots the fiber only when shooting shot and flips the 10/22 sight up when using slugs.  Pretty cool.  I liked it so much that I might setup my Benelli the same way.    

amazing, i was thinking of a way to do just that. well, not exactly that, but a few years ago, i saw a T/C contender in 44 mag with a VR barrel that had a flip up rear sight in it. i looked and looked for something in a 12 gauge VR, but never found such a thing. kind of depressed i gave up. any details you have would be greatly appreciated.

I've always shot a double bead setup, even when using a shotgun in Open.  I used ghost rings and scopes only at Second Chance on the BCBC, slugs to 90 yards on falling plates.

Stock fit and practice are important, as well as knowing your pattern.  I've seen a few European shotguns and Dreillings that had flip-up rifle sights built into the rib.  They used a single lever and a connecting rod.  Would you have to switch from shot to slugs in a stage?  If not, you can install the sights, and flip them each up.  If you expect slugs in a stage with shot, then a connecting rod may be the ticket.

I also prefer a 28" barrel, but for me it is balance.  At 6'4" anything shorter gets to be too fast and won't settle on a popper.

If you want real fun practice, get to the trap range on a day when no one else will be there.  Stand right behind the trap house, and have the trap boy launch each bird when he hears the previous shot.  See how many out of ten you can get, and use elapsed time as a tie-breaker.

Quote: from Patrick Sweeney on 7:20 am on Oct. 2, 2001

I've always shot a double bead setup, even when using a shotgun in Open.  I used ghost rings and scopes only at Second Chance on the BCBC, slugs to 90 yards on falling plates.

Do you find, say, ghost rings to be a _hinderance_ when using shot?  That is, do you think that ghost rings or rifle sights actually slow you down with shot?  What about a dot on an open shotgun?

Lincoln