Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rio Salado Training, Mesa, Az

Jman

Any Rio shooters interested in training as a group? I need all the help I can get. Live fire practice is a lot more fun (and effective) when done as a group. What would really be helpful is a master class shooter or two in the mix.

Jim M

Check out Rob's monthly Drillmaster's shoot.

... yes, good idea. But I like the idea of leaving the office a little early on fridays. :)

That leaves the weekends for matches and...um what are they now? Oh yeah, family.

• 1 month later...

I e-mailed Max Michel a short time ago about getting a class held at Rio Salado. Another option might be to hold the class at the Pima range in Tucson or maybe South Mountain range off of Baseline.

When I get more info, I'll post here on BE.

I talked to one of the RO's at Pima. He says it'd be $8.00 a day to use the range for non-members and they'd have to sign a release form. Pretty standard stuff there...

As for the class, it would be taught by both Max and Travis. Cost is $500 for both days.

Do we have enough interested people for me to try and get this scheduled? I'll post a new thread with the same info.

• 1 year later...

I'm a "Rio" noob and struggling to get out of "D". Not ready for Rob's Drillmaster's. I have Range privilages and just used one of the Pistol Bays w/ USPSA cardbored targets for the first time and found it to be a humbling experience and a great way to learn. Eventually I'd be willing buy a timer and work out with a small group. I'm available Monday, Weds, Thurs, & Friday's. Even without a timer practicing "El Presidente's" for 2 hours is going to help tremendously. Anyone interested email me or reply to this topic.

Larry P

Odds are you won't get the range (Rio) on the weekends, since it's basically booked forever. South Mountain might be the spot to go (heck...Tucson would be good too).

Just some advice, a Friday-Saturday would be great for Max & Trav as they could then fly back to GA on Sunday.

Rich

Odds are you won't get the range (Rio) on the weekends, since it's basically booked forever. South Mountain might be the spot to go (heck...Tucson would be good too).

Just some advice, a Friday-Saturday would be great for Max & Trav as they could then fly back to GA on Sunday.

Rich

South Mountain practical ranges are booked pretty solid on the weekends. There is spare time normally found during the week when the various police groups are not using the ranges.

At minimum, whoever is thinking of setting something up needs to be a member of the club and a frequenter of the Practical Division and most likely a Match Director of some sort. In the past, there has bee damage done to the ranges, so critieria for "special events" has been tightened up.

Start shooting Tuesnight Steel and Thursday Night Steel. Before I started shooting USPSA I was shooting Tuesday night steel. I hooked up with a bunch of guys who really helped me out. The idea is if you are shooting by yourself, following some folks somewhat better than yourself. Introduce yourself after a while and ask to shoot with them or just following behind them. Learning is a series of progressive steps.

So start with a group of shooters to emmulate their shooting, then as you progress move to another group of shooters. Tuesday night steel is a great place to learn.

Also Drillmasters will help. Note that a couple times a year Rob puts on a class for locals. Look for it. You can get some private training -- Try Gary Blunt to see if he will do some training for you.

Edited by pjb45

I'm a "Rio" noob and struggling to get out of "D". Not ready for Rob's Drillmaster's. I have Range privilages and just used one of the Pistol Bays w/ USPSA cardbored targets for the first time and found it to be a humbling experience and a great way to learn. Eventually I'd be willing buy a timer and work out with a small group. I'm available Monday, Weds, Thurs, & Friday's. Even without a timer practicing "El Presidente's" for 2 hours is going to help tremendously. Anyone interested email me or reply to this topic.

Larry P

Not ready for Drillmaster's? What do you think Drillmaster's is for? It's for us folks who are trying to learn how to shoot.

Relax, watch, practice as you can, shoot matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget BenAvery on the NW side of town. During the week the Practical Pistol Bays are almost always open except afteer 4 pm on Thursday when the get set up for Thursday night steel.

Shoot the steel match and have Terry Allison give you a card to bring to the main rainge with you USPSA classifier or IDPA card and you will be given a pink card that allows you and anyone else to use the range at the same time. Cost is $5 per day. You an arrange for an instructor but they may have to get a card also. Call the Ben Avery Shooting Facility to find out.

They are closed Monday and Tuesday but open the rest of the week from 8 a.m until 8 p.m

• 11 months later...