Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Factory Crimp Die?

gspam1

Reading through the forum posts, I see multiple recommendations to ditch the Dillon crimp die and get the Lee Factory Crimp die. I've visited the Lee site and I don't understand the benefits of this die over the dillion. They both appear to apply a taper crimp.

What is the benefit?

Thanks,

George

Unlike other crimp dies, the Lee FCD also serves as a "post-sizer" die. There is a carbide ring in the die, just like the ring in the first-stage size die. The benefit of this is that the post-size operation ensures that the finished round is below the spec required to chamber. For me, this has eliminated the step of running the finished batches of rounds through a case gauge- always previously an essential step. Thus, it's a significant time-saver, and I use the FCD universally; it's about $12 at Midway. I do NOT regard the FCD as a remedy for misadjusted dies at the other stations, or any other flub in the reloading process; it's merely there to catch the occasional finished round that is over the correct dimension.

There is no free lunch. If the FCD helps with case guaging percentages I would say something is wrong in the process leading up to it.

I have a couple FCDs, had to find out what all the buzz was about. Where I find them useful is using autoloader bullets in revolvers, they will roll a nice cannelure in the bullet with the case mouth. Where I find them completely useless is with lead bullets, they will size the bullet down in some cases enough to lead barrels badly and/or set back in the case more easily.

The FCD acts like a carbide case guage , any rounds that are a little oversized get a squeeze .

The FCD won't make bad ammo any better , but it sure makes it easier to fit into the chamber.

I like em.

Travis F.

If the FCD helps with case guaging percentages I would say something is wrong in the process leading up to it.

I would love to know what it is.

If I don't use the Lee FCD almost half of my .45 acp reloads won't pass the chamber gauge.

I use Lee dies and have double checked the set up but for reason or reasons unknown to me

if I don't use the fcd a lot of them won't gauge.

I don't use it for .40 S&W and have no problem.

al

I got one after I bought my Thunder Ranch Special. I was having problems with the ocassional round not wanting to go fully into battery. I set my sizing die (Dillon) down as far as it would go and still had a few problems. Now no more problems. I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Lee FCD and after working with it for over a couple of months I still could not get the same (better) accuracy from it as with my taper crimp die. I have one of the First Dillon crimp dies and it has and still serves me quite well. I tried the FCD is 40 S&W , 9mm and 223 but went back to my old taper crimp dies and sold the FCD's

Jim