Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To tac-reload or not

mcoliver

Hi guys. I was trying to look for the thread about tac-reloads sometime back but can't seem to find it.  Anyway I was browsing through the IPDA manual and I was hoping if any of you can clarify things for me:

If the course of fire specifies that you do a tactical reload in position 1 before going to position 2, you can do:

1. a tac reload or a reload with retention, right?

2.  If you had a slide-lock (or knew your mag was already empty) can you dump it instead and leave it?

If, instead, it specifies a reload with retention then:

3. I can't do a tac-reload, right?

4. Can I still dump my empty mag?

Thanks a lot.

1.If the stage says do a tac-rld [only],then that is what must be done.

from a link to the idpa rules in IDPA Questions forum,

FAQ section of the lgb;

http://www.idpa.com/rulebook5-2-01/rulebook_new.htm

"... . If the course of fire specifies a Tac-Load, a magazine change with retention is not acceptable and will incur a procedural penalty. If a magazine change with retention is specified by the course of fire, either method is acceptable. .."

2.Slide lock reloads- jettison the empty magazine to the ground and continue.

If you KNEW there is one round in the chamber and '0' rounds in the magazine -you may NOT jettison the empty mag ,this is considered an "illegal" reload and incurs a procedural  penalty.

Note,

This rule doesn't PREVENT you from doing a slide forward  / ipsc type reload, it provides punishment in the form of a penalty for doing so.

3. refer to 1 above.

4.dumping an empty mag is acceptable for slide lock reloads.

Hope that helps,

MP

(Edited by Mark Perez at 1:11 pm on July 29, 2002)

(Edited by Mark Perez at 1:14 pm on July 29, 2002)

If the stage calls for a tac load, you may do either a tac load or a reload from retension.  If it calls specifically for a reload from retension, that is all you can do, and a tac load is not allowed...there is never a time when you are allowed to do an IPSC speed load, slide down on a round.  The only speed load allowed in IDPA is the slide lock speed load.

As I have said B4, I have a problem with that concept, because I was trained under Cooper and we learned to never shoot the pistol dry, now some Cooper wannabe (Bill Wilson) tells me I am not capable to count the rounds I expend.  I don't think so.  Remember this is not real world, police action, these are both games, and should be treated as such.

Most hot IPSC shooters find IDPA dull till they reach an age where they cannot run as fast as the 25 year old kids and then they look at IDPA.  At that point in their shooting carreer, it is hard to embrace some IDPA concepts...but if you want to compete, it is their game.

I must differ with tightloop on this one. If the COF specifies a Tac-Reload than it must be a Tac-Reload. A reload w/retention doesn't cut it. If the COF just says reload then any one is acceptable. The only time you can drop an empty mag is on a slide lock reload.  The only other time you may drop a empty or loaded mag is to clear a jam.  

Some clubs are taking things into their own hands by specifing reload as needed or as you see fit and reloads are off the clock. To each his own but when you get to a major match beware it may not be what you are used to.

jmc9x23

you are correct, page 38/39 of the rules states that if a tac load is called for that is the only one acceptable, but if a mag change with retension is called for, either is acceptable.

Fingers got ahead of brain...

Thanks

This coming Aug 18 is the 5th monthly IDPA shoot in our club.  The reason I asked this question is that I was thinking of "tactically" gaming it and see how it goes (pls be gentle, and I hope none of our SO's will read this ).  This time I'll be using my 1911 instead of my usual Glock 19, so I figured with the lower round count I can let the gun go to slide lock and dump the mag (faster than any of the retention reloads?)

I have shot in a bunch of IDPA  matches and have never seen round dumping called.  they might take a long look at it if you are a Master shooter, but if not, I don't think it would be questioned.

That doesn;t make it right, just telling you they probably won't call it.