Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IWB draw

vega

One shooter suggested having a stage where we require all shooters to draw from IWB.  We are concerned with safety of the shooters are some are still very new to the sport and IDPA is new here in the Philippines.  Is there a rule governing this?

TIA,

vega

Sorry, I was not very specific about my question.   We will require shooters to use approved IWB holster. But some shooters are not used to carrying IWB.  Some people don't have CCW and they just have their guns at home but brings it to range for practice and competition.  Could we force them to shoot IWB even if they are not use to it?

Vega,

The best way to run a match like that would be to ask the shooters as a group if they are comfortable doing this and if they are provide them with the IWB holster and gun ( maybe a revolver with a heavy DA pull ). I doubt that all shooters have a IWB type holster for the gun that they use. This doesn't force them go out and buy an IWB for their gun.

IDPA allows the use of IWB holsters as long as they are on the approved list.

(Edited by JZ at 7:27 am on Mar. 21, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot IDPA using an IWB rig.  It's not much different than a regular belt holster.  

That said, there is ABSOLUTELY no precedent or rule in IDPA that mandates an IWB holster!  I've been to matches requiring a cover garment, and you could rule that the entire holster must be covered by it, but there's no reason to mandate an IWB holster.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

• 3 months later...

Duck and Tight,

I don't understand why you think IWB holsters are somehow dangerous, as compared to other holsters allowed in IDPA.  They still obey all of IDPA's rules for retention, safety, and concealment.  Drawing from one is not especially different than from a belt holster, though the gun is likely to be closer to your side, requiring you to wedge your thumb in there to draw.

So I don't see the safety issue here...IDPA holsters are all about equally dangerous.

But, again, IDPA rules only mandate an IDPA approved holster, and there are many holsters to choose from, only some of which are IWB.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

My take on it is that if you have some Novice or new shooters and they are having a hard time with a conventional holster, how much harder would it be for them to sweep their shirt aside to make a draw.  I have seen shooters throw the pistol on the ground from a regular holster, using an IWB holster complicates that by a factor of at least 2.  

I wen t home from my first IDPA  match without firing a shot,  because a contestant flagged the crowd with a hot pistol and was not DQ'ed.  At least that shooter had it in their grip, I could forsee bad things if they threw it on the ground and there was an AD.

If you read carefully I said "my Glock" not my 1911 or my SIG but "My Glock."  I carry my Glock in a IWB holster but its carried in  cond 3.  I won't carry a Glock in a IWB with a loaded chamber and I'm not about to draw a loaded Glock from a IWB  because some SO or range master thinks its a good idea for a stage.  

Using IWB isn't so bad. In fact, I carry my chambered G19 this way everyday.  However, using a one-size-fits-all IWB  handed to you on d-day may not be a very good idea since, IMHO,  you need as much holster familiarity as with gun-handling to be safe when executing your draws.

vega, judging from the date of your post this won't be for next Sunday's (Aug 18) IDPA shoot, right?  Anyway, see you there.

If you carry hammer down on an empty chamber with every pistol you carry, what is the elapsed time from the buzzer till you let the first shot go?  What IDPA or IPSC class do you compete in?   About 2 years ago we had some idiot advocating that everyone train like he did...when he trained the Masood (sp).  Hammer down and rack the slide after you cleared your draw.  He went away after every 1911 shooter,and I mean every 1911  shooter dusted him at every match he shot in for the next 90 days.  

Without getting on the very top of my soap box, you certainly have the right to carry your pistol in whatever condition you desire.  Just want you to know that the 1911 pistol was designed to be carried in Condition 1, cocked and locked.  It is certainly understandable to realize that the manual of arms with a 1911 pistol is a bit more complicated that any double action pistol, and demands a little more attention  to avert an AD when making a competition draw. I will climb down off my soap box now.

BTW, unmodified 1911 pistols are never double action, but are carried in condition 1, 2, or 3.

(Edited by tightloop at 10:17 am on Aug. 11, 2002)