Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Production Div. Question?

Bryan W

Hey guys,

I've tried doing a search in hopes of answering a few questions about production class.  Sorry if this is old hat but I need some quick info if possible.

On the gear.  Can you wear an outer belt with your holster and mag pouches?  And, are the Bianchi mag carriers legal for production.  If not, are the safariland pouches legal?

I'm probably going to use a KY-TAC holster but I am trying to figure out what mag carriers to get.

For those of you who are currently shooting production or were at the FGN's--what are you carrying now in terms of production class holster and mag carriers?

Thanks for the help guys!

(Edited by Bryan W at 8:58 pm on Aug. 5, 2002)

Bryan,

Under IPSC Production Division rules, there are no restrictions on the type or brand of holster you use, provided that you satisfy the "general" rules under Section 5.3 of the IPSC rulebook.

The USPSA has additional restrictions for Production Division which can be viewed as Point J in Appendix E of the USPSA rulebook (page 93). They disallow "holsters of the race gun type".

Hope this helps.

David,

Do you know what the other big-dogs in Production use for holsters and mag-holders?

(By the way, I find it pretty cool that the top four guys in Production shoot different brands of guns.  Seems like that kinda proves the point(s)...it's the shooter, not the gun...and, shoot what you are comfortable with.)

How important do you guys think the mag pouches are for speed?

I was real close to ordering a safariland or cr speed mag pouch setup, but I've never had an issue getting the mag out fast with the el cheapo uncle mike's. Does the foward angle (in production, behind the hip) make that much difference?

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 1:49 pm on Aug. 10, 2002)

Big dog production equipment

Todd:

-Safariland holster (pretty sure it is a 'custom fit')

-4 Safariland 771 mag holders

-competition inner/outer belt

Sevigny

- Ky-tec holster

- 5 Ky-tec mag holdres

- non-competition type belt

Langdon

- Ky-tec holster

- 5 mag holders (don't remember the brand)

- competition inner/outer belt

The most important thing about the mag pouches is that they hold the mags securely and that they release the mag when you go for it.  I have tried several brands and haven't found much difference.  I use the blade-tech because I can get the single pouches closer together and because the same holders are legal for idpa.

-dave

One thing I was surprised at as I watched Todd gear up for the Top 8 shootoff was his holster was a paddle type holster.  I'm sure he probably used the same holster in the match as he did the shootoffs.  I was just surprised that it was a paddle holster.