Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Know What This Thing Is?

gmshtr

An officer I work with brought this thing to me asking what it was and where it came from. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm about 60-75% sure the caliber is 32 S&W...or at least that's what it looks like. On the right side of the frame is a crown with an "R" under it. On the left side is "EW" with a "3" under it. These marks are just in front of the cylinder. You can kinda see the crown and R in the picture, but not well.

The trigger folds down, and it's fired as a double-action. The trigger then must be pushed back up towards the bottom of the frame, brought back down, and fired again.

I'm guessing it's either British or German. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know.

Thanks,

Phil

post-786-1153746391.jpg

Most likely it is a Belgian made Bulldog type revolver. They where really popular for a while and they where made in a LOT of different configurations, some documented some not. I'm sure there is a book on them somewhere if you really need to identify the maker and what not from the markings. Here a are a few examples that come close to the one in your picture:

Edited to add that the R under the crown seems to be some form of mark common to a lot of belgian guns of the era, as well as being part of many logo's for the various firearms manufacturers. I would guess maybe royal mark, proof mark, or maybe a proof of lincense, something like that.

Edited again to add .. Ok so I'm bored. I found the following "Crowned EW is the mark of Emile WARNANT in Liege and registered voter with the proof house of Liège of 1905 to 1934."

You can find more info related info at http://www.littlegun.be.

clement%20charles-01.jpg

man%20liegeoise%20theo%20weiler%20pub-01.JPG

ancion%20marx%20pub-08.jpg

Edited by Vlad

I think that's going to be a Galand Velodog

An officer I work with brought this thing to me asking what it was and where it came from. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm about 60-75% sure the caliber is 32 S&W...or at least that's what it looks like. On the right side of the frame is a crown with an "R" under it. On the left side is "EW" with a "3" under it. These marks are just in front of the cylinder. You can kinda see the crown and R in the picture, but not well.

The trigger folds down, and it's fired as a double-action. The trigger then must be pushed back up towards the bottom of the frame, brought back down, and fired again.

I'm guessing it's either British or German. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know.

Thanks,

Phil