Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In IDPA - Range gun Jams... is it a reshoot?

Dowter

In an IDPA match a second gun was used on a stage.  It was provided by and loaded by the people running the match.

My question is - When a gun that is provided to a shooter on a stage jams, does the shooter get a reshoot because of a range failure?

Obviously if YOUR gun jams, you don't get a reshoot because you are responsible for your gun.  But how can you be held responsible for a gun you have nothing to do with?

If there is a rule on this, can someone cite it.  Thank you.

Since it was a stage prop, I would give a re-shoot...but that's just my opinion.

Dowter, there should have been a re-shoot.  One of our squad shot the first half, then came to a stop when it was discovered that the second gun had not been reloaded.  He got a re-shoot.

(Edited by vluc at 7:32 pm on Aug. 10, 2002)

(Edited by vluc at 6:29 am on Aug. 11, 2002)

I just want clarification for the future (and also because of the nagging suspicion that I was right).

The SO made the call.  I made my case.  My case was rejected.  I let it go.  Shit happens.

Oh yeah, that Kahr was awful.  The horrendous trigger pull didn't bother me since everyone was shooting with the same trigger pull.  It was the fact that the gun jammed on my turn that annoyed me.  I've shot a similiar stage and it used a revolver.  Revolver don't jam and are better choices.

(Edited by Dowter at 11:16 am on Aug. 13, 2002)

Asking for clarification on a stage and checking resources, even after the shoot, are our rights as participants.  Certainly the goal is to put on as good a match as possible, and we can help that by assisting in insuring that all goes well.  Granted the SO has the final call, but if we see that things are applied inconsistently by the SO's, we have a duty to point it out.  Something like that could cause a shooter to no longer participate and we need to keep folks in the sport.

Every time I RO a USPSA match I learn more...in both what to do and not do.  So i am looking at it from the perspective of an RO, and when the class comes up again, an SO in IDPA.

(Edited by vluc at 6:34 am on Aug. 11, 2002)