Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Reload with Retention rule.

Dowter

I was just told that in a reload with retention for IDPA that you can hold the magazine in your hands.  In the IDPA rule book it explicitely says that you can not do this for a "Tactical Reload" but doesn't say this for a "Reload with Retention".  I always felt that this was implied.  So what is it?

Dowter, page 37 of the green book under "What's the difference between a tactical reload and a magazine xhange with retention"

A magazine change with retention is done by ejecting the partial magazine, PUTTING IT AWAY, and then drawing the full magazine from the pouch.

I would interpret, froma semantics perspective, that putting it away means placing it somewhere other than the hand.  Just the definition of having it put away differentiates it from a tactical reload where you have to draw the new mag first, then eject the old.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can store on the move, however, before you take your first shot, your had needs to be off the magazine completely.

I've seen one of our resident Pro's get nailed because he did this entirely to fast.  His hand was off the mag, I have it on video .. but none the less, the perception was that he fired before he stored the mag, hence the penalty.

Change mags, hall ass and store, then shoot =)

BradC

A46143

(Edited by BradC at 10:37 pm on Sep. 5, 2002)

This is cut and pasted directly from the IDPA online rule book....

"There is NO provision for a slide down (speed reload) in IDPA shooting. All reloads must be either made from slide-lock or be of the tactical-load/mag. change with retention type. A shooter is deemed “loaded” and may move from a position of cover ONLY when the magazine is fully seated and the slide is closed or revolver cylinder is closed."

This has been a discussion at our local club. When to move? This snipit says that you can move once the mag is fully seated.