Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Shooters And Knives

SRT Driver

Ever notice that most pistol shooters have a knife in their pocket.

But, how many actually use them? Seems like most never see the light of day.

Or are they ornamental due to the big $$$ some spend on them?

Just wondering.

So what's wrong with those who don't carry a knife? Why would anyone not?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel lost if I forget to carry my pocketknife. Other people probably use it more than me:...."hey, can I use your knife for a second?".

All of the men in my family carried pocketknives when I was a kid. So, any respectable 3 year-old was hell-bent on getting that first knife. But most of us were around six when we got a real pocketknife.

I have several locking folders and a sweet custom bird&trout knife, but I carry only an Old Timer two-blade when I'm not hunting or fishing. I've never found a use for a large knife.

I carry flashlights in each of my vehicles and a plug-in spot light in the truck. I've carried a pocketknife for as long as I can remember--probably since I was 10 or 12. My current knive is a 3 blade Camillus. I've had it since the late 70s and it gets used almost every day.

got a Swiss army knive at my first communion (age 6). carried a knive ever since.

Nowadays i mostly carry a Leatherman: the Surge in on my duty belt, and (mostly) a Wave when not in uniform.

Got some nice fixed blades and Emmerson folders as well, but the stringent laws overhere make them a no no to carry in daily life. So they live in the glovebox in my car and toolbox at home.

I consider myself naked without my wallet, keys, watch and knife/multitool - my flashlight sometimes get left behind :o

I use a Leatherman on a daily basis, and it is mostly the knive. Shortly followed by the screwdriver.

To me a knive is a tool. The only thing I know about knife fighting is to stay clear from an angry knife fighter. :ph34r:

Ive carried a knife for as long as i can remember. Somtimes i carry 2 knives, one for utility use and the other one for personal defense use.

Now, being in Iraq, its a must to have a knife, multi-tool, and a flashlight at all times. I use the flashlight and the knife several times a day.

I have a CRKT M16-13SF that rides in my left front pocket. This model actually has a hilt when unfolded; I think it has some "tactical" use, but I prefer it to keep my sweaty hand from sliding onto the blade when using it. (Yesterday, I soaked my tee shirt just cutting the lawn on my riding mower.) It also serves as a weapon retention device - hold onto gun with right hand, poke BG with knife with left. Hope I never get to try that one...

Leatherman Wave and Streamlight Scorpion are with me if I'm out of the house and, like Raz-0, not shooting. I carry a knife and light at work, at weddings, walking the dog, everywhere. Sometimes I carry a second knife, a folder around town, or a fixed blade out in the woods thoughs thats generally in my pack.

My Benchmade Osborne and Leatherman Wave see constant use. I fly a desk most of the day too but almost every day need to deploy one or the other.

I started carrying a knife in 1st grade and every other boy (and many of the girls) did as well. It was a small pen knife but it saved walking to the pencil sharpener and was handy to subdue the unruly milk carton that refused to open properly now and then. I still have it.

My oh my how times have changed.

My Daddy gave me a hand-me-down knife when I was 8 or 9 and I haven't been without one since.

I currently carry a Kershaw folder on my pocket, a Gerber folder on my keyring and a small Swiss army knife in my pocket. I also carry a small Underwater Kinetics flashlight and one of those LED lights.

Daily use is not always the case, but I have them any time I need them.

Don't You??

dj

If you own a bucket full of guns you probably own a bag full of knives. I have several belt knives, boot knives, folders, pocket knives, multi-tool “knives” and my current range favorite, the Super Knife II, an extremely well made folding box cutter.

David C

Most people shooting guns seem to do alot outdoors. I think having a knife has more to do with that than shooting a gun. From what I have seen most the guys that carry a knife put it too good use constantly.

Flyin40

Have carried a pocket knife since I was about 8 or 9 yrs old...Now carry a Benchmade 814 in the pocket and a CRKT neck knife along with my commander on my hip, my Glock 17 in the truck along with a Rem 742 carbine in 308....if I can't get it handled with those, I need to holler for help... :lol:

LOL... like most of you i can't remember when i "didn't" carry a knife... I feel just plain naked without one.. usually i have two, guys at work are always asking me for one for some reason or another..

Stopped carrying my flashlight when i changed jobs, more desk less up and down... currently carry a small swiss army and a buck folder i got at the Area 8 match a couple of years ago in Topton..

Lost my original Leatherman multitool.. and currently sorting through the choices for replacement.. figure i'll end up with a wave v2.

And yeah most kids today "CAN'T" carry a knife cause they'd get expelled from school if they had one.. such a shame..

Jeff.

You are correct, it is a shame that good kids can't carry a pocket knife...

I remember the time when, if you asked a country kid to empty his pockets, the very first thing to hit the table was his knife, then no telling what else might be put down beside it..but the knife was important to a kid in the country...and the city for that matter...

Yes, there was a time it was considered normal and sensible for kids to carry appropriate tools in their pockets... including the ubiquitous little pocket knife and other things that came in handy when out on little hikes or even while building things, making things, doing things. We considered it quite normal. B)

lktx - Larry White keeps his little knife handy. Never know when you might need to clean your fingernails.

post-2898-1153857976.jpg

The knife is Bennys. I dont know if its the worlds biggest folder but its sharp enough and heavy enough that droping it could be life threating.------Larry