Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling your spare mag on the run

mcoliver

You've done shooting in position A and you start going to position B w/c is designated to be a tac-load area. In IDPA, is it okay to start pulling out your spare mag while on the run then do the tac-load once you hit cover?

Thanks.

(Edited by mcoliver at 10:30 pm on Sep. 24, 2002)

My interpretation of IDPA Competition rules 17, 18, and 19 are:

If the gun is NOT empty at slidelock, then you can leave position A and move to position B.

Since the tac-load is complete when the fresh magazine is seated it would seem that it starts when the existing magazine is removed.  So while moving you can access the spare magazine, but you cannot drop the existing magazine from the gun until you are fully behind cover.  The fresh magazine must be seated and the spare magazine must be stowed before making the first shot after the reload.

----------------

I personally don't like mandated tac-loads in scenario style stages.  I like stages that let the shooter decide what they want to do.

Quote: from mcoliver on 4:46 pm on Sep. 25, 2002

Thanks for the inputs, guys. I also emailed IDPA about my query.  Will post their replies once I get it. Be safe.

This text is copied from the idpa website

"IDPA Headquarters will be closed from October 1 through October 4 for the 2002 IDPA National Championship.  Please allow several days for us to answer phone messages, email and mail when we get back.  

Thanks, IDPA HQ"

in other words , it may be a while [long time ] before you get a reply.

MP

Quote: from mcoliver on 10:25 pm on Sep. 24, 2002

You've done shooting in position A and you start going to position B w/c is designated to be a tac-load area. In IDPA, is it okay to start pulling out your spare mag while on the run then do the tac-load once you hit cover?

Thanks.

Yes, as long as you don't press your mag release to start the removale of the mag in the gun until you are behind cover. Generally, one would use this technique after engaging targets on the move between position A and Position B. If there are no targets to engage between the two shooting positions, there is no advantage to removing the mag to prepare for the reload behind cover. It is faster to reload from position A and move to position B while stowing the changed mag.

Quote: from tightloop on 7:27 pm on Oct. 2, 2002

I beg to differ.  If you already have the new mag in your hand at position B, changing mags at that point in time is faster than a standard tac load at Position A

You can't begin shooting at position B until you have stowed the changed mag. If you do the reload at position A, you can be stowing the mag while moving to position B, then fire away as soon as you get behind cover. That is how I would shoot the stage.

Quote: from mcoliver on 10:25 pm on Sep. 24, 2002

Thanks.

but in the original question -position B is "designated to be a tacload area" - so as noname describes his action[performing a tacload at A] wouldn't  that incur a procedural?

You might give them a few more days.

I believe they drive to the match in order to take everything with them.  (computers, banners, shooters bags and such)

When we left yesterday at 11, it looked like they still had lots to tear down and pack up.

And a quick plug- if you get the chance to go to Nationals, do it.  Lot's of fun.

This issue came up at Nats last week.  When the question was posed K. Hackathorn was in the peanut gallery photographing stuff.  He told me it was okay to draw the magazine, but the gun had to stay loaded until cover was reached.

On my stage (12 and 13) no one pulled it off, the distance to move was too short.  But some people tried.  I think it affected their shooting too much as they were more focused on drawing the mag than shooting their six rounds.

FWIW, W. Rauch said the same thing later.

Ted